Reloading EverythingInline FabricationSnyders JerkyLoad Data
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Wideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply Repackbox

Thread: Need a new seating die I think....

Boolit Man

Need a new seating die I think....

Getting the .308 casting thing hashed out. I was trying to use my seating die to, uh, seat the projectiles and I realized that my .311-.312 powder coated slugs were slightly too fat to fit thru the body of the die, and the tightness of the body was acting as the seating rod, thus pushing the slugs too far down.

So, similar to how I needed a decapping pin for the 303 british, do I now need to get a 303 british seating die?

I no longer live next to my machinist neighbor guy......, not sure what i would use to bore out the center. Seems better to get another die since I still want to load the copper Amax's once in a while.

So, 303 British? or slightly larger?

Can't you resize after PC'ing to .310"? Using a Lee push through sizer? Won't that be fat enough?
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Grand Master

Or you could "polish" a couple thousandths outta the ID of the seater die body?
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Buddy
    I would not fool with the plug in the seating die. The bottom edge is what seat's the bullet and it should measure the same as the lead in your rifle's throat. You polish it out and bullet's seated to the same OLL at the ogive will suddenly start being pushed into the lands.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Don Fischer View Post
    I would not fool with the plug in the seating die. The bottom edge is what seat's the bullet and it should measure the same as the lead in your rifle's throat. You polish it out and bullet's seated to the same OLL at the ogive will suddenly start being pushed into the lands.
    I guess your dies are different than mine. The ID of the die body is separate from the seating stem (the adjustable part). Increasing the ID would only allow slightly larger diameter bullets to be inserted into the die. No difference in seating depth would occur unless the stem is moved...

If you hone that seating die out you will be reducing it's chance of inserting those casts with any real concentricity.
    If successful in honing for that excessively fat cast you'll be dedicating it to those only, it'll never again seat a J-type with concentricity.
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by mdi View Post
    I guess your dies are different than mine. The ID of the die body is separate from the seating stem (the adjustable part). Increasing the ID would only allow slightly larger diameter bullets to be inserted into the die. No difference in seating depth would occur unless the stem is moved...
    Right. Exactly. So I guess my thought was to get a new seating guy that has the guy body wide enough to permit the slug to travel freely through the center. As it is now the hole in the bore of the die is too skinny, and I could take the seating stem out entirely and would still get those slugs pushed way down in there.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

Geeez guys! I wasn't talking about drilling the die out to 1/2"! Honing/polishing out a regular seating die .005" or so won't affect seating nor concentricity...

Boolit Bub
    i think the first thing we should know is what brand of die is it? With that information we can determine whether or not removing a few thousandths will cause any issues. Does the die crimp the case as well or do you have a seperate die for that?

Boolit Man
    Whoops; sorry guys. long day at work. Guy=Die. Bad text translation. Anyway......

It's a Lee die. And its just for seating. Crimp die is a separate die. And how, if I decided to do that, would one polish out a few thousandths? Fine sandpaper (800-1000 or so) on a dowel or other mandrel?

Boolit Bub
    I would think that if its just seating opening it up a few thou wouldnt hurt it at all. I would use some high grit sandpaper and some flitz metal polish on a wooden dowel. Just take out the seating stem before hand and you should be fine. If you do happen to mess it up its not that expensive to replace. Just take it really slow and measure often.