Load DataLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingWideners
RotoMetals2 Repackbox

Thread: CCI Quiet-22

CCI Quiet-22

Just how quiet is the CCI Quiet 22 40gr ammo?

Boolit Buddy
    I can hear the firing pin hit in my CZ 452& Win.62 also can hear the bullet thump a squirrel.

Very. The spring on my pellet gun us louder than that 22 going off. I haven't tried it in a pistol personally, but I hear it isn't near as quiet in a pistol for obvious reasons. Out of my 25 inch barrel 22, it's very quiet.

Thank you! Area store is advertising @3.99/50. Think I will try some.

Boolit Master
    A lot depends on the rifle, the barrel and action. The longer the barrel the quieter most ammo is. I don't know first hand about the CCI quiet but I found a Ruger forum they are saying need hearing protection out of 10/22 but quieter out of Henry lever. http://rugerforum.net/ammo-dump/8193...-so-quiet.html

That's a pretty good price for "specialty" .22.

Boolit Master
    Out of my CZ 455 & AAC can you hear the firing pin and the bullet smack the target. I shot a grouse a couple weeks ago with this combo, my uncle was standing 5 feet away from me watching and said he didn't hear the rifle he just saw the grouse flopping around.
    Doug
    .................................................. ........................................
    Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

Taxidermists are cheaper than surgeons....keep shooting

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Some people measure success in Minutes of Angle

Boolit Buddy
    They are loud out of a Sigle Six Ruger - please don't comment on how I know....

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    INITIAL RANGE TESTS OF 9 Feb 12

I received brick of 500 of these for testing $29.95 from Midway.
    Chronograph and accuracy data follows:

High Standard Sentinel REVOLVER, with 4 inch barrel and 0.008 cylinder gap:
    First shot fired in dirty, fouled training gun stuck in the barrel!
    Drove out stuck bullet easily. Cleaned, oiled, tried again.
    Point of impact 1 inch below sights at 7 yards.
    Avg. velocity 505 fps, lowest (which got out the barrel) was 372 fps, highest 628 fps, extreme spread of the 9 of 10 shots which actually exited the barrel was 256 fps, with a standard deviation of 87 fps.
    If using this in revolver start with clean, lightly oiled bore.

9 Feb 12 function fired 50 more rounds in revolver with no malfunctions. Bullet in bore appears rare occurance, but you need to be aware that in revolvers a loose cylinder gap may interferes with being able to build enough pressure to acquire enough velocity for reliable bore exit.

High Standard Model "B" semi-auto pistol with 6-7/8" barrel:
    Point of impact 1 inch below sights at 7 yards.
    Avg. velocity 638 fps, 25 standard deviation, extreme spread of 10-shot string 82 fps.
    Does not eject empties or cycle action. Feeds smoothly when cycled manually.
    Quiet shooting indoors without earplugs, about as noisy as firing standard velocity .22LR in a rifle.
    Accuracy test at 25 yards, sandbagged, ten shots in 3-1/2" vs. 1-1/2" for CCI Blazer HV.
    Accuracy test at 50 yards, sandbagged, ten shots in 6" vs. 2.5" for CCI Blazer.

Ruger M77/.22 bolt action, 20" barrel.
    Point of impact 5" below zero for Blazer HV at 50 yards.
    Avg. velocity 713 fps, 28 standard deviation, extreme spread of 10-shot string 114 fps
    Accuracy test from sandbags with 4x scope ten shots 1.8" at 50 yards, vs. 1.2" for Blazer HV
    Point of impact at 50 yards 5" below zero for CCI Blazer high velocity
    Accuracy test from sandbags with 4X scope ten shots 4.7" at 100 yards vs. 2 inches for Blazer HV
    Point of impact at 100 yards 18" below that of CCI Blazer when zeroed at 100 yards.

Remington Model 511 bolt-action .22 with 24" barrel:
    Shooting outdoors 50 yards at 6 inch pistol gong with open iron sights, hold bead at top of gong with open sights to hit. Avg. 688 fps, 48 Sd for 10-shot string, extreme spread 157 fps. Very quiet in rifle, like a CB Long.

BOTTOM LINE:

This is an affordable ($30 per brick of 500 rds) low noise load for short range. While I'm not going to buy a case of 5000, these will replace CB Longs in my inventory. Each survival ruck containing a .22 firearm is going to get a box. Furthermore, each gun is going to be test-fired with a full box to assess reliability, point of impact with existing zero, and accuracy at realistic small game foraging ranges from 25 to 50 feet. This load seems to do best in barrel lengths at least 6 inches. Velocities were erratic in revolvers and rifle barrels of 24 inches or longer which increase bore drag.

Comparison of velocity test data with other CCI .22 LR ammos:

Ammunition________24" RIFLE_____6-7/8"PISTOL__4"REVOLVER___

CCI Green Tag________1053, 6 Sd______931, 9Sd________801, 33Sd
    CCI Standard Velocity__1036, 17Sd______936, 16Sd_______868, 40Sd
    CCI SubsonicHP_______1058, 13Sd______978, 19Sd_______836, 26Sd
    CCI BlazerHV_________1264, 11Sd______1181, 20Sd_____1085, 19Sd
    CCI MiniMagHP________1192, 26Sd______1104, 29Sd______947, 29Sd
    CCI VelocitorJHP_______1336, 12Sd______1177, 37Sd_____1060, 66Sd
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    I bought some of the quiet, in a pistol with a can, its really really quiet. But not much power behind the bullet at the velocities it runs. I was at the gun shop other day a guy was in there asking about some of it. He needed something hotter as the quiets would not kill turtles.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Casey View Post
    Thank you! Area store is advertising @3.99/50. Think I will try some.
    I'd get all I could get at that price Sam; they're $12.99/100 here but they are out since a month ago.

I bought a case of these about 18 months ago from a local shop. He blew them out at $200/case. Seeing what this stuff sells for now, I wish I'd bought more.....

They work well enough in my 16" Savage FV-SR and Single Six.
    There are precious few horror films that couldn't be cut well short by a single loaded 12 gauge and someone with the sense to use it. -- K.R. Murphy

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tackleberry41 View Post
    [...] I was at the gun shop other day a guy was in there asking about some of it. He needed something hotter as the quiets would not kill turtles.
    Plus, you'd have to lead them more.

This ammo is very quiet out of my 24" Marlin 39a. It's loud out of my 9" Colt scout buntline but not enough to need hearing protection. I'll save the super Colobri for handguns. This is cheaper than either the CB short or longs.

Banned

i shoot cci quiet 22's in my personal indoor 10m range using a variety of rifles and pistols, and no hearing protection is required or needed. good accuracy at that short distance, too.

They will kill squirrels on the lower tree limbs. I get 3/4" groups out of my Rem 581 @ 50yds. POI is 2"" low at that range. Fun to shoot. Best, Thomas.

Banned

at 10m, even the super quiet aguila colibri ammo (primer, no powder) is darned accurate and there is almost zero noise, and i mean near zero, lots quieter than a cap gun.

for the testing, i used a crickett youth single shot bolt 22lr with a cricket 4x32 scope. the rifle was modded a bit as i free floated the barrel, stuffed 2# lead up the butt, and added a 2" stock extension. the trigger is about 2# pull with a tad of creep that was easy to control.

5 colibri shots at 10m off a sand bag rest, not bad at all. dunno if it's short distance skwerl huntin' worthy, but really like this shoot-anywhere ammo and just ordered two bricks worth for off-season offhand winter shootin' practice.

btw, the crickett is a Superb li'l .22 rifle. incredibly cheap, well made from scratch right here in pennsylvania, great folks to deal with and it's very accurate to boot. geez, i need another.

Boolit Bub
    They are quiet! I have shot them out of a variety of rifles. Obviously the longer the barrel, the quieter it is. Out of a standard length .22 bolt rifle you really can hear the firing pin strike. I shoot them out of a savage rascal and they are a little louder but still the quietest thing you'll shoot.

Are they effective? I have regularly killed raccoons with them at distances of 25-30 yards. Like everything else, shot placement is key.

Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel4k View Post
    Plus, you'd have to lead them more.
    NyukNyukNyuk. As the great Curly Howard said!

Boolit Bub
    Love them super quite