• Not when using a progressive press

29 7.07%
  • Only for rifle

62 15.12%
  • Always

242 59.02%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Do you decap as a separate operation?

Boolit Master
    Talking about an internet time waster. You can certainly save a lot of time by buying all your ammo. If time is the only thing of value why reload at all?
    I was reloading long before there was an internet or digital electronics or zoomy presses. You certainly cannot feel crud in all presses and you sure are not going to do much about it if you do. If you don't shoot at targets with clean primer pockets you would never know the difference would you?

Who says I don't load with an arbor press? How did you reach the conclusion that what I said excluded an arbor press. I use all types of equipment but I also like clean primer pockets. The guys at the accurate shooter forum would argue that they can load just accurately with a press and dies as you can with Wilson dies and an arbor press. But I don't remember any that promote dirty primer pockets. My grandfather never bothered with firearms except to execute a raccoon or skunk but he did provide me with a ranch to shoot hunt and shoot on.

Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    When did I mention progressive and rifle ammo in my post? And you can certainly feel "crud" in a primer pocket on a press. That's one of those misnomers that's repeated over and over. It doesn't change the fact that having sparkling clean primer pockets and brass has no positive effect on target. If you're after the most accurate round possible you would be loading w/ arbor dies, not a reloading press.

Everyone is free to load rounds however they want to. The internet has brought about a whole bunch of time wasters. I remember when my grandfather simply wiped a case off w/ a rag. The only cleanliness he cared about was keeping debris out of his dies. Wish I could load and shoot half as well as he could.
    EDG

Boolit Grand Master

Do you decap as a separate operation?

I have shot w/ clean primer pockets. Then I shot w/ dirty primer pockets. It made no difference on target. My Grandfather told me not to waste my time cleaning them. I tried to prove him wrong but in the end he was right. I'm not a benchrest shooter so cleaning them is a waste of time.

I dry tumble then size and decap. Any media that gets caught in the primer hole gets removed upon case inspection.
    “We don’t rise to the level of our expectations – we fall to the level of our training” - Archilochus

Boolit Buddy
    If I'm going to clean, I'm cleaning all of it. Primer hole included. I just like clean brass.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Banned
    Use lizard litter and nothing gets stuck in the primer pocket.

Boolit Master
    I decap my 357 magnum and rifle brass to clean the primer pockets, all the others just get loaded as normal.

Boolit Bub
    I decap to wet tumble with SS media

Boolit Mold
    I tumble first......... fl resize, decap & prime all in the same stroke, powder w/preset dispenser, insert bullet........done in three pulls. Most of my reloading is for MGs, not interested in taking any more time to reload than is actually needed. I hate length sizing & mil. crimp primer pockets.

PJH

Boolit Buddy
    I decap separately but not because I have to ,I just got a universal decapper in some stuff I bought and hey why not use it. I wet tumble and then process the brass ,size ,trim ,swage ,reform whatever. Shiny brass never helped me hit the bullseye ,but I like it. Old stained brass that wont cleanup gets moved to the cast boolit only bin and loaded up too.
    AR15 goes bang, AK47 goes bang, Mosin goes boom...

Boolit Buddy
    One pull of the press handle, one loaded round.
    More time to dry fire, higher scores.
    NEVER wast time priming off the press.

Dave C.
    Last edited by Dave C.; 12-13-2016 at 08:35 PM.
    Distinguished, Master,2600 club, President 100 badge holder.

Boolit Master

Boolit Buddy
    Only for Berdan LR. Hydro or puncture and pry methods.

Boolit Bub

I do decap first, using a "universal" decapping die. I care about it mostly for brass I haven't reloaded before, as it does remind me to do some flash-hole and pocket touch up. The sizing die has no problem knocking out any cob in the hole if I happen to miss it, as it still has its rod. I agree with the fellow who didn't like to run dirty brass through his dies and some of what I get second-hand is, shall we say, "well seasoned" by wind, rain, and cow poo. I don't think it's anything critical, but I developed the habit a long time ago and it doesn't interfere with me today so why not?

Boolit Master
    ALMOST never decap separate from everything else. If I'm someplace away from my pres and I am using a Lee Loader, I'll decap separately. Not because I think it helps anything, but because I have to, under those circumstances.
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Boolit Bub
    I found that decapping and reloading in one step was a recipe for spoiling a primer for me due to the use of a wet tumbler. I am now decapping after a basic cleaning, followed up by a full cleaning before reloading

Boolit Bub
    This lets me clean the primer pocket too

Boolit Buddy
    I tumble first in Franklin Arsenal #5 corn. Decap and size and then just started to wet tumble with SS pins. Brass might as be new the way it looks.
    I really like clean brass. Also makes it much easier to find on the ground.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Boolit Man
    I push the pressures on some rifle cases. I like a double system on determining if the pockets are getting loose. The Neil Jones de capping tool is excellent in giving you "feel" of the primer pocket, and has proven a more sensitive method than a hand priming tool from Lee or RCBS. Using both the Neil Jones decapping tool, and a hand priming tool gives you excellent quality control in culling out loose primer pockets.

I shoot a lot of 2 oz triggers on my Varmint and bench guns. If you blow the primer on a small rifle case with a 2 oz trigger, the gas blow back forces the firing pin to the rear with such force that it almost always breaks the third lever in the 2 oz trigger. Also, catching those loose primer pockets in large primer cases stops rings from getting burnt around the firing pin hole on the bolt face.

I decap them with a Lee decap die then wet tumble with SS pins. Size separately on my RCII and if loading boolits I expand the necks. Move them to my progressive install the decap die in the sizing station to make sure there are no obstructions in the case then just load them.

Boolit Master
    De-Prime with a Lee punch and small hammer, clean with the stainless pins, polish in walnut with New Finish and the am ready to reload. With brass that is new to me the flash holes are de-bured and prime pockets checked for depth and bore.
    All of the brass is cleaned with the stainless pins with the primers removed.
    Most everyone has their own procedures all work.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast