• Not when using a progressive press

29 7.07%
  • Only for rifle

62 15.12%
  • Always

242 59.02%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Do you decap as a separate operation?

Boolit Buddy
    I deprime an then SS pin tumble in Car Wash Wax/ Lemi Shine wash, all my brass an brass picked up at the ranges I belong to.
    l've saved up spent primers from this process an returned, at the going rate. Along with bad brass.
    Rate last week being 1.17/pound. Money in the bank.

even my shotgun shells are deprimed and resized as a separate operation , that way I just have a few steps to a finished product with ease

Boolit Master
    I load on Dillons and everything else (I love reloading presses) . I've experimented in the last few sessions and decided I like depriming off the reloading press and wet pin tumbling the primer pocket.It keeps the dirt off the press and I think it makes all the difference. The Dillons run like Singer Sewing Machines...smooth and easy... keeping the dirt our helps.

I'm considering buying a Lee 1000 with case feed just to deprime 38's and 45's...

Dale

Boolit Mold
    I have an old but cool C-H press I use as my utility press and decap all my brass as a separate operation before tumbling using a Lee Decapping die. When I first started reloading in 1994 using my Dillon RL 550 I did not decap and never had a problem. In my experience it isn't required but I am a tinkerer and figure if I'm going to reload, I'm going to do the full Monty. I also like playing with all my toys and this gives me more fun time. I absolutely agree with others that when you pop the primers out while NOT resizing, brass with loose primer pockets are obvious and get extra attention or culled. So it is a useful operation. I can also add that the only thing I hate in reloading is cleaning primer pockets so I have ordered a wet system with stainless pins. Can't wait to try it out.

Not sure if I or anyone else mentioned but the Lee hollow ram with primer collection tube is really nice for collecting primers, this feature keeps me from using my other C press for de-priming. I have the de-prime die but mostly do necked rifle brass as separate step and that needs to be sized to be trimmed so they get size and de-prime in the caliber specific size/de-prime die.

One can then replace the size/de-prime die with a NOE expander plug. Followed by powder drop die, then seat and crimp. This saves time as compared to pulling the brass off to charge with powder.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Master
    I deprime while resizing but I prime with one of two Lee hand priming tools. I wish they still made them. I also think Lee made a fig mistake when they stop making their classic "c" press. I couldn't justify buying one since I had two Rock Chuckers and several other presses. It would be nice not to bother with catching spent primers.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    No, I do not. That defeats the purpose of a progressive or even a press like the LCT. Having primer pockets sparkling clean has no benefit just like brass that shines like jewelry has no benefit.
    I concur with the gentleman from SE PA.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

All brass goes into a tumbler with old media as soon as i return from the range. Once clean all rifle cases are sized and deprimed. Then into a different tumbler with clean media and polishing compound. That way everything is clean and easier to sort and cull.

Boolit Master
    A progressive often defeats the purpose of loading the best possible ammo. If you have crud in the primer pocket you can feel it with a hand priming tool. With a progressive you would never know the difference. Second rate ammo defeats the purpose of owning a nice rifle. Sure factories use progressives, but they use new brass with clean primer pockets.

Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    No, I do not. That defeats the purpose of a progressive or even a press like the LCT. Having primer pockets sparkling clean has no benefit just like brass that shines like jewelry has no benefit.
    EDG

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by EDG View Post
    A progressive often defeats the purpose of loading the best possible ammo. If you have crud in the primer pocket you can feel it with a hand priming tool. With a progressive you would never know the difference. Second rate ammo defeats the purpose of owning a nice rifle. Sure factories use progressives, but they use new brass with clean primer pockets.
    When did I mention progressive and rifle ammo in my post? And you can certainly feel "crud" in a primer pocket on a press. That's one of those misnomers that's repeated over and over. It doesn't change the fact that having sparkling clean primer pockets and brass has no positive effect on target. If you're after the most accurate round possible you would be loading w/ arbor dies, not a reloading press.

Everyone is free to load rounds however they want to. The internet has brought about a whole bunch of time wasters. I remember when my grandfather simply wiped a case off w/ a rag. The only cleanliness he cared about was keeping debris out of his dies. Wish I could load and shoot half as well as he could.

Boolit Master
    I guess Tubbs and Whidden ought to get rid of their Dillons.

Take care

r1kk1

Boolit Buddy
    When using my Hornady LnL. Stage one is decaping and sizing. I do it some times as a single stage. I usually tumble first, then decap and size, then sonic clean to clean primer hole. It
    After reading about tumbling with stainless pins and water, I'm really liking that way. Going to look at prices of rock tumblers and pins.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Mytmousemalibu View Post
    I wet tumble everything so yes, I decap all beforehand. I'm not a fan of any potential water entrapment in primer pockets but I am a fan of them being nice & clean.
    And there ya go! My brother from a different mother.....

And FWIW - I use a LCT press w/universal decapping die, and I pull the cap off the primer catching tube and just put the tube into my scrap brass bucket. I got tired of having to empty that dang tube all the time, sometimes I'd forget and they'd get backed up into the press ram.

Spent primers just go straight into the scrap bucket now, there's about a jillion of them in there. I've also used milk jugs and 2 liter soda bottles. Man, I've punched out a LOT of primers......
    Last edited by rondog; 10-24-2016 at 10:53 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    Hornady also drops them through a tube into a collector coffee can😆

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

I deprime on my Lee Classic Cast on a Lee stand while watching tv or outside enjoying the weather and listening to a podcast. Then eithe tumble with walnut shells or wet depending on the condition of the cases. Then prime on Lee Hand Primer or prime and resize back in the LCC. I then can use the first station on my 550 for a case flare die from RCBS and it gives me a higher control of the flare then using the flaring on the Lee Powder Thru Dies. So station two is just for powder charge with the Lee Die.

Does it add time that most think is unnessisary, yep. But I think it saves me time and cussing and bad thoughts at my progressives. I like the feel of priming in my LCC or hand priming. I know it's done right. Had too many messed up primers at the range when using progressives. So for me, I choose safety or at least piece of mind over speed and hangups.
    I'll be needing that for squirrels and such.....

Boolit Master
    I started reloading 45 years ago. It was for a 45/70 1873 trapdoor with a Lee loader. I never once cleaned anything on the brass before loading and they went bang everytime. They got reloaded a ton as I only had 20 pieces of brass to load.
    However with the amount I reload and having the ability to do so now I like having clean brass and wet tumbling with primers removed makes the most sense to me as there is no dust or stuck media to deal with and progressive press stays much cleaner.

I do both. I often save up my fired brass and reload it in batches. In that case, I will usually decap it as I shoot it or collect it and set it aside to be cleaned at a later date - then reloaded. Sometimes when I am doing a small batch of ammo, I may decap and resize as one operation. One caveat is brass cleanliness. If the brass is dirty, I won't usually decap and resize together. If brass is dirty, I almost always decap and clean, then resize.

Boolit Bub

Got to decap to get the pockets clean with wet tumbling. Not to mention easier to dry the brass completely.

Always decap first and then tumble. Necessary? Not really, but it's the way I like to do it. I don't load thousands of rounds at a time so the extra time isn't a waste to me.
    "Ignorance is curable, but Stupid is forever!"
    -Granddad

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    I am interested in understanding the benefits of decapping before a case is sized.

Thanks

Don Verna
    I size and decap in the same operation. I can't see any reason to do this unless it is only one or two cases.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast