• Not when using a progressive press

29 7.07%
  • Only for rifle

62 15.12%
  • Always

242 59.02%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Do you decap as a separate operation?

Boolit Master

I use the Lee uni recap die on all my brass then toss into the walnut tumbler.
    I prefer this over tumbling with spent primers or sizing dirty brass.
    Cant say it effects anything one way or the other though.
    WebMonkey
    Retired 19D
    Psalm 91:9
    Honda 919

Boolit Master
    I have a frankford arsenal wet tumbler & ss pins. I have found particularly with small necked brass like .223 without de-capping the water traps in the cartridge. Couple that with wanting the primer pockets cleaned, I de-cap first. I'm going to set up a single stage press with a universal de-capping die just for this purpose right now I use my turret with the indexing rod removed. I have a unique way if removing stray pins and the excess water too but that's a different thread.

I think whether one decaps as a seperate procedure can depend on the kind of Press one has, as well as whether one prefers to decap then Clean the Brass, before further steps.

I have been decapping as it's own procedure, and I expect to continue doing it that way.

If I had a Progressive Press, I might very well decap first on a different Press, Tumble clean the Brass, inspect all, then move forward with the Progressive Press with the decap having already been done.

Boolit Buddy
    If I can recover my known brass, stuff that I've culled the berdan, messed up extraction grooves, removed the primer crimps and all the other defects you'll find with pick up brass, then I just run it again on the LM. Same with new ammo that I can collect. But range pickup, you got to deprime that junk and go thru the whole process before you can run it on a progressive. Otherwise it's one problem after another you get to fix with that batch. Only time I've ever had priming on the LM was when I first got some crimped primer brass and the old primers were hanging up in the brass and I couldn't get the new primer in with that in the way.

Boolit Buddy
    I decap my rifle brass only.
    'The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.
    Daniel J. Boorstin

The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.
    Albert Einstein

Boolit Master
    I wet tumble everything so yes, I decap all beforehand. I'm not a fan of any potential water entrapment in primer pockets but I am a fan of them being nice & clean.
    ~ Chris

Casting, reloading, shooting, collecting, restoring, smithing, etc, I love it all but most importantly, God, Family, The United States Constitution and Freedom...

God Bless our Troops, Veterans and First Responders!

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas
    Accuracy, Power & Speed

Boolit Master

For Handgun, I wet shine, I don't use pins.I tumble in a old rock tumbler and after a few hours in Lemishine & Blue Coral car soap I triple rinse then put them in a towel shaped like a canoe and swish back and fourth. Next I have a small fan that I point into the box to be sure that I'm getting them completely dry. Run them through the Dillon and start all over again. Note: I keep some canned air to keep the shell plate area free of debris.
    For rifle, I lube, size and de-prime then check length & trim if necessary then start the wet shine the same as handgun.
    I would likely de-prime more prior to cleaning if I didn't go through so much ammo.
    Jeepyj
    Sometimes it takes a second box of boolits to clear my head.
    Feed back thread http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...?261449-jeepyj

I decap, tumble with crushed walnut, clean primer pockets, trim rifle brass, then size and prime on the press.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I decap separately only with crimped military style primers.

Yep, always.

For pistol brass I have a progressive dedicated to decapping so it can be cranked out quickly. Rifle goes through a single stage decapping. Always wet tumble unless it is small batches of 20 or so rifle which go in ultrasonic.

GD

Boolit Master
    Rifles I use a decapping and sizing die-- all one operation then clean the cases afterward. Pistol-- size first, then simultaneously decap and bell-- same operation-- then clean afterward. If you really want to know what's best, I can't help. I've just always done it that way because it was convenient with the dies I am using. It works good for me so I haven't investigated doing anything different.
    Hick: Iron sights!

Boolit Bub
    I clean my brass with lemishine and water then decap and resize so that I can check brass length. After that I use a vibratory tumbler to get the primer pockets and run them through a progressive.

The decapping pin knocks any debris out of the flash hole.

Still haven't found a 45 acp that's grown, but still do it. LOL.

Historically, we have been decapping and then vibratory tumbler the brass, resize, trim if necessary. This leaves dirty/sticky brass from the resizing step that has to be dealt with at some point before you can finish the loading process.

Recently, I started with a FA wet tumbler system. First time through for a short time without the pins using a little citric acid and wash and wax then dry. Resize and deprime, take out crimped primer pockets if necessary, trim if necessary. Run brass through the wet tumbler a second time with the SS pins. This cleans the inside and out and then dry. Basically new brass to run through the press and can load as fast as new brass. Just did 1900 rounds of 223 and a bunch of 204 and process is working well.

Nice part about this process is no dirt and dust floating around.

Just need to refine the trimming process for high volume brass varieties. Not wild about spending money on a Giraud or equivalent. Don't want to mess with a two step process of trimming and then chamfering and deburring.

Handgun brass is a little simpler since you don't generally need to deal trimming. That speeds up the process.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

I have several hand decappers I use. a pope style, a harvey style and one I deshihned like a set of pliers. I do this for several of the above reasons. I also like to feel the spent primers come out if they come out easy I can set the case aside as a possible loose pocket. Its amazing with a good tool what you can feel. My process is deprime cases and inspect as I go for cracks and other issues. a couple twists in th primer pocket with an rcbs cleaning brush. The corn cob tumble. I add a little alchlol and nufinish to the corn cob before the brass. After a couple hours brass is cean and so is the primer pockets. Th crn cob Im using is a finer grit than sold for reloaders and dosnt plug flasholes or primer pockets. On my BPCR brass it goes from the rifle to dish soap water jug to soak till I get home and rinse then dry. I then process as above

The only exception I have to depriming and sizing at the same time, is 300BO case forming from 5.56 cases.
    I form the case, then deprime. Makes for a better case form.
    I have sworn on the altar of GOD eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.
    Thomas Jefferson

" Any law that is NOT constitutional is not a law" James Madison

Boolit Man
    I like clean primer pockets. Decapping is the first thing I do then cleaning.

Boolit Master

Since I am not a high volume shooter, I do all my handloading on a single stage press and time saved and speed are not an issue. I always deprime using an RCBS universal deprime die. No sizing, only depriming with this step. Clean primer pockets with RCBS tool. Usually clean cases in vibrator using walnut hulls next. I like to neck size only if cases are used in a single firearm. Cast boolits next calls for a slight neck flair using an 'M' die. Priming is done after all case work (including trimming and annealing as needed). At this point cases are ready for charging and boolit seating.
    Mark 5:34 And He said to her (Jesus speaking), "Daughter, your faith has made you well. Go in peace and be healed of your affliction."

Boolit Buddy
    Deprime with a universal decapper, clean primer pocket, CA bath, prime off the press with RCBS handtool. Took all the depriming pins out of the sizer dies. Occasionally I'll check length and trim before priming, especially range pickups as this gives me one more look at the cases before priming.

I have limited myself to 2 pistol and 1 rifle caliber and I'm not a high volume reloader. All my steps may not be necessary but reloading is relaxing for me and I enjoy the process.
    Fast is fine but accuracy is final.

I prefer to decap with RCBS universal decapping die before a tumble. Clean brass , IMO, sizes easier, and i believe will make the dies last a lifetime. As for media getting stuck in primer pocket, the decap pin in the sizer die takes care of that. Then a full inspection before priming and loading.

I bought a Frankfurt Arsenal de-capper about a year ago. I love it. If I remember to keep it at the right angle while de-priming I have zero dropped primers on the floor. I also do not have to try and get the primer catcher off the press which would also lead to dropping primers. I don't have to worry about dirt scratching my dies either. I am a single stage press user.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast