• Not when using a progressive press

29 7.07%
  • Only for rifle

62 15.12%
  • Always

242 59.02%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Do you decap as a separate operation?

Boolit Master
    always decap separate and ss pin clean me likey the shiney, I guess I'm a bit like a magpie

Boolit Master
    I relies I don't always deprime my brass before loading again , at times I just run them through again , so I say most of the time but not always . I'm a radical that lives on the edge I suppose I just do whatever I feel like . Hehehe

Boolit Buddy
    I decap as a separate process. All dies out except decaper and sizer.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Depends. If I’m using the Loadmaster for those I run on it, i decap and cap separately.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by JeffG View Post
    Depends. If I’m using the Loadmaster for those I run on it, i decap and cap separately.
    I do the same, there is enough going on, on the ole loadmaster! Finally got my case and bullet feeder working.
    The unexamined life is not worth living....Socrates
    Pain, is just weakness leaving the body....USMC
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is FINAL!....Wyatt Earp

i resize and decap first in a single stage. BTW this is for .223 or .556 nato only. I then trim for length, ream primer crimp, then I prime, powder, and then seat bullet in my Dillon 550B.

Boolit Mold
    For rifle I have gone to hand priming exclusively . Resize , decap and clean primer pocket then hand prime. Have not gone to wet polish yet so I leave the primer in when polishing. As for pistol I have not seen a benefit to cleaning primer pockets so I have always cleaned ( tumbled media ) after each use then reload .

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by dmit View Post
    For rifle I have gone to hand priming exclusively . Resize , decap and clean primer pocket then hand prime. Have not gone to wet polish yet so I leave the primer in when polishing. As for pistol I have not seen a benefit to cleaning primer pockets so I have always cleaned ( tumbled media ) after each use then reload .
    I do all priming by hand also. It's very important to make sure primer is seated properly. It's also important that you feel "loose" primers. You can't always get the same results on a progressive press but if your press is like one in a thousand that does what it is suppose to then kudos. My new CNC machine is the only thing I trust right now for automation!
    The unexamined life is not worth living....Socrates
    Pain, is just weakness leaving the body....USMC
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is FINAL!....Wyatt Earp

All my rifel brass gets cleand deprimined sized trimmed pockey swaged cleaned and polished.

Then primed in bulk. On a Lee bench prime.

Then I will load it.

Pistol brass is done in a load master.

Sent from my N9560 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

East Arkansas where I55 & I40 come together and then split
    I usually de-prime on an old single stage press and then rinse the brass in a citric acid bath. Rifle brass hand primed, pistol brass on a Dillon 550B.

Boolit Buddy
    I do. Decap, then clean, prep, load, shoot....repeat.

Boolit Man
    I always deprime with a Harvey deprimer, then wet tumble, brass comes out like new.

Banned

Me too
    No dirty brass anywhere near my presses.
    The Harvey Depriming tool is super nice.
    Also, on military brass, the Lee Decapper and Base works well.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	p-199.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	23.6 KB 
ID:	232572

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	p-200.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	21.0 KB 
ID:	232573
    Last edited by jmort; 12-23-2018 at 01:08 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Yes, then stainless wet tumble. Clean,clean brass. No dirty ones on my press.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I always knock the primers out as the first step in reloading. I don't need the grit of primer residue getting into the workings of my dies and presses.Gp

I use a Dillon 550 and two Lyman T-2s for 90% of my reloading and always tumble clean my brass and then reload with the primer being knocked out at the first station when I resize. When using a single stage press for my 30-40, ‘06 and 300blkout I size/deprime 50 and then use a lee auto prime to reprime before continuing. But as soon as I work out my cast bullet load for my blkout I will put dies on my other Dillon and load them there. Work smarter—not harder.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Kenstone View Post
    I decap/deprime pistol using my drill press, faster than a reloading press
    Attachment 228151
    Centering fixture is 2 stacked fender washers, with the top one having a rim diameter hole, mounted on a 1x4.
    The bottom 2x4 has a big hole to collect the spent primers.
    Attachment 228153
    I have a top board for 9mm, 357, 45ACP

edit: if a primer takes more pressure to push out, I know it's been crimped, so I turn it over and hand chamfer the crimp out.
    Interesting idea. Now I've got a project for this afternoon instead of putting up a ceiling. This site has caused much delay in renovating my old house, lol
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Buddy
    I was surprised enough at the results of this thread that I went ahead and bought a Lee universal decaping die, incidentally also because I've heard it spoken highly of here.

Although I'm still not convinced that keeping those pockets a bit cleaner will make much of a difference, they never look all that bad when I'm priming. I think my time would be better spent uniforming the flash holes when I add new brass to the rotation if anything.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
    I was surprised enough at the results of this thread that I went ahead and bought a Lee universal decaping die, incidentally also because I've heard it spoken highly of here.

Although I'm still not convinced that keeping those pockets a bit cleaner will make much of a difference, they never look all that bad when I'm priming. I think my time would be better spent uniforming the flash holes when I add new brass to the rotation if anything.
    Clean primer pockets on pistol rounds are not going to matter and it seems to me it would take almost twice as long to deprime as a separate operation. I prefer the advantage of productivity as I reload hundreds of rounds at a time.

I am anal about rifle reloads but I have read that clean primer pockets make no difference....at least in the kind of shooting I do....hunting, varmints and informal target shooting....yet I still clean them. If I was shooting a lot of rifle, I would likely not bother cleaning them.
    Don Verna

I've got in the habit now that I wet tumble with ss pins. I have 2 universal decapping dies, one RCBS and one Lee and decap my rifle brass before ss pin cleaning. I don't bother decapping any of my pistol brass before ss cleaning since it gets loaded on one of two Dillon 550's and in fairly large volumes ...
    I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't reached my "Expiry" date!

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast