• Not when using a progressive press

29 7.07%
  • Only for rifle

62 15.12%
  • Always

242 59.02%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Do you decap as a separate operation?

Boolit Grand Master

Do you decap as a separate operation?

I am interested in understanding the benefits of decapping before a case is sized.

Thanks

Don Verna

Boolit Master

Not sure what some would consider a benefit - however, you can decap, uniform the primer pocket and flash hole and then tumble your brass prior to resizing and reloading. After that you can just decap, clean the primer pocket, tumble and the case will be ready for resizing and reloading.

Some do it - most probably don't.

Boolit Master
    I decap then wet tumble. That way the brass is clean. That's just me I'm sure there will be many others that do it different.

Boolit Master
    I used to decap, then tumble. I got tired of picking media out of the flash hole and primer pocket. Now I tumble, then decap and size at the same time.
    In theory (my own theory) the decapping pin should center the brass and pre-load the die before the sizing operation is finished.
    If I'm right, this might matter on a Lee turret press where the turret plate is pushed up against the top of the press during the stroke, squaring it up. If I'm wrong it doesn't do anything.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Perma-Banned

Quote Originally Posted by JSnover View Post
    I used to decap, then tumble. I got tired of picking media out of the flash hole and primer pocket. Now I tumble, then decap and size at the same time.
    Same here.

I deprime before cleaning because I wet tumble with stainless steel pins. That gets the primer pockets clean.

Moderator Emeritus

Regarding Rifle Brass.
    Most of the time, my own brass, I decap when sizing, and many times I don't clean it, it's usually clean enough.
    BUT, Most of the time when I get someone else's range brass, I decap and then clean and process...there is more to be done to it, to make it uniform, also allows me to inspect it.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Quote Originally Posted by Carrier View Post
    I decap then wet tumble. That way pockets are clean. That's just me I'm sure there will be many others that do it different.
    Winner Winner Chicken Dinner
    - at least take a small bladed screw driver or primer pocket brush and give a quick 1 - 2

http://www.6mmbr.com/ultrasonic.html
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Grand Master

No, I do not. That defeats the purpose of a progressive or even a press like the LCT. Having primer pockets sparkling clean has no benefit just like brass that shines like jewelry has no benefit.

Always have, always will. I like to clean the residue out of the primer pockets before tumbling or seating a new primer. Very often I knock the old primers out with one of the primer punches from the old Lee Loader kits, then clean the pocket with the little double ended Lee primer pocket cleaning tool. One could de-prime them using the resizing die in the press, but I don't like running dirty brass into the dies, so it just seems to naturally follow that one de-primes them out of the press, cleans the pockets, then into the tumbler. Then one can resize and re-prime clean brass in one step in the press. But, actually, in the last couple of years I've found myself using the hand priming tool more, especially for rifle cartridges.

Boolit Master
    I decap and size then clean and uniform the case before loading. I used to tumble clean but have gone to ultrasonic.

Boolit Grand Master

Some things are done "just because", and don't need to be justified. I've decapped singularly, and with sizing depends on what cartridge and what I'm looking for. I'm not obsessive with virgin looking brass, shiny clean both inside and out, so I have no need to wet tumble to get primer pockets pristine. I have never had a problem with media stuck in flash holes if I decap and then tumble dry. I look at most every case before, during and after reloading, so I wouldn't miss a chunk of cob or walnut jammed in a flash hole (most of the time when I do see media inside the case, I'll just tap the case, mouth first on the bench and dislodge the chunk). Most reloaders decide what works best for their own particular reloading process, and has little (no) bearing on what I do, and as a matter of fact, sometimes I do deprime first, and sometimes I deprime after. (Never liked all these "polls" on reloading forums! )
    Last edited by mdi; 10-10-2016 at 11:53 AM.
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Master

Only for rifle.... subject to cange since I finally drank the kool aid and started pin tumbling.

Only if I'm going to wet tumble. I don't before dry tumbling because media gets stuck and the primer pockets don't get clean anyways. No point in tumbling, decapping, then sizing.

Boolit Buddy

I deprime first for a couple of reasons. I use a progressive almost exclusively. The residue from depriming would get in the mechanism causing repriming issues and dirt into the dies not to mention additional wear and tear on the equipment. Another reason is it gave me the opportunity to inspect the cases more closely than the progressive. Using the progressive I seemed to try to go faster to keep up a perceived high round count. That is just me though. I don't end up with spent primers on the floor or live primers either.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Carrier View Post
    I decap then wet tumble. That way the brass is clean. That's just me I'm sure there will be many others that do it different.
    Me too....
    Last edited by Bzcraig; 10-09-2016 at 02:48 PM.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Boolit Master

For BPCR etc decap first always in prep for soapy water wash. For most rifle, no unless due for a tumble clean. Pistol, never unless heavy cleaning is needed.

Boolit Grand Master
    My answer is not on the poll, which is "Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't."

BP yes. Smokeless, it depends.

Robert

Come home from range, run all brass through FA hand depriming tool. Citric acid wash, maybe soak for half an hour if it is grungy. Then I like to go through and clean primer pockets, and give the outside of the case a roll on my leg on a towel.

Brass going into dies is sparkling clean, no dust, dirt or residue.

It is just an easy way to wind down after a couple of hours at the range.

I would not have to do it that way, don't own a progressive. My main press is the lee hand press.
    I guess I just prefer working with nice clean brass.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mk42gunner View Post
    My answer is not on the poll, which is "Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't."

BP yes. Smokeless, it depends.

Robert
    This is what happens when an ignorant person makes up a poll. I have never shot BP so it was not a consideration. Sorry....my bad

Don Verna

Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast