RepackboxRotoMetals2Inline FabricationSnyders Jerky
WidenersLee PrecisionLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading Reloading Everything

Thread: 45 colt Lee mold for a Rossi mM92?

Boolit Mold

45 colt Lee mold for a Rossi mM92?

I was thinking of trying the Lee Truncated Cone bullet but didn't get a positive reply from Lee using that bullet type in a lever gun.

Anyone have comments on using the Truncated Cone in a lever gun? I was looking at the TL-452 in 230 grain. I was thinking that grain might be ok in my 45 ACP, also. Didn't want to go to the 255 grain.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

bigdog

Boolit Bub
    Lee 200 gr SWC 9.3 gr Unique
    11 shots with Winchester 45 Colt Attachment 178421
    Last edited by El Greco; 10-08-2016 at 07:45 PM.

Banned

the acp boolits do pretty well in the 45 colt.
    taper crimp with your acp die.
    I like shooting the 200 gr swc in my colt lever guns too the recoil is negligible and it makes nice holes in the paper.
    9.3 grs of unique is a favorite of mine with other boolits.
    but 8.5grs is more a favorite with the swc.

Boolit Mold
    Thanks El Greco and runfiverun.

bigdog

My Rossi gets the Lee 255gr RFN's, loves 'em. Gonna put one through a mule deer in 3 weeks.

Boolit Master
    Don't have a Rossi, but my Henry BBS (as well as my HiPoint) seem to like the Lee 452-200 RF. Feeds very well through either one.

Boolit Master
    I recently bought an RCBS 45-225-CAV, a TC boolit with a generous crimping groove.
    It is the smoothest feeding boolit that I have tried in our Rossi '92s. Should be great for CAS.

Mine drops at .4545" with a 1-2-97 mix. Our Rossi chambers are quite generous and take .454" boolits without complaint. I may try as-cast and tumble lube a few to see how that goes.

Boolit Mold
    thanks

Ken, castingfool and rondog

I will second the Lee 452-200-RF. My Rossi loves them. And it doesn't care how slow or fast you push them (with in limits). I pc mine and normally load them over some Red Dot.

Boolit Mold
    Thanks, Trelan. I am swaying towards the 452-200 RF.

Boolit Buddy
    I shoot the 200g RNFP in 44 mag in my Marlin and SBH. Shoot the 200g SWC in all of the 45s, marlin, couple of 1911s, and my 45 Colts. Both bullets feed real slick in the Marlins. All Lee molds.
    Vote Independent, vote Republican, vote Democratic, just don’t vote Incumbent!
    I believe in the Bible, Freedom, the Constitution, the Bill of Rights and personal responsibility. My government believes I am narrow minded, intolerant and dangerous.

Boolit Master
    Lee 200 rf works great in Rossi 92 and accurate as all get out in ROA in .45 Colt Howell/Taylor's conversion cylinder. Great with Unique ( 8.0 gr. for me) but doesn't hold enough lube for Black MZ loads I tried= finally saw the crud everyone is talking about with Black MZ.
    As has been mentioned, taper crimp. Any amount of case not crimped in will cause a hangup trying to feed in the Rossi I have. If I run my finger down the case and feel anything but smooth, it jams-but then, it's a Rossi.
    Last edited by Newtire; 05-23-2018 at 09:37 AM.

Boolit Master

The Lee 45 230gr TC (not TL) works fine in 45 Colt rifle and pistol. Since there is no crimp groove, you do want to make sure you have good case neck tension for the Rossi so the bullets are not pushed back into the case.
    God Bless America
    US Army, NRA Patron, TSRA Life
    SASS, Ruger & Marlin accumulator

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    I had good luck with the 454424 and the NOE version @ 250 gr but my ACP is a revolver . The 454423 might be a good replacement .
    The RCBS 45-200 SWC shot well in both .
    I also shot a few H&G #130 that were acceptable .
    I have the 452-200 RNFP also .

Out to 75yd the difference at 8-9.0 Unique in them all was nil in the Colts .
    Poi changed in the revolver also but that is expected .
    It's not saying much but the High Point ACP carbine feed all of the above on 5.5 Unique and I was able to get 4/10 on a 8×12 steel plate at 156 yd standing off hand .

Here's the bug in the Rossi M92' 45 Colts . It has a 1-32" twist . Now you have to go full into 25kpsi Ruger loads or you have to go Cowboy loads under 1100 fps MV . The problem comes in at 78-82 yd where a 1050 fps out of the 7.5" RBH fired in the 16-20" (have them both) carbines run 1240-80 fps and run out of rotational stability when dropping through transonic . The 250-255 SWC and the 452-255 RNFP @ 265 gr will depart at about a 40° angle and 10:00 but drill golf balls at 72-75 yd . Of course I don't have $1,000,000 in high speed photo gear nor have I pursued a paper backer/tracker at 1-3yd intervals but it is a safe conclusion that if regular hits on pop cans is possible at 75 and at 100 you miss a 9' berm at 10:00 that something is causing bullet deflection . It sure looks like a curve ball .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Master
    Interesting stuff. Mine is in .454 Casull but feeds Colt reliably as well. I'll have to talk with you if you are going to Winemucca. I'll throw it in my car along with some cast boolit loads.

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    Unfortunately I won't make Winemucca this year . I'll be squaring up the last of my move packing for AR and will be rolling out of town Tuesday after .....
    South to Kingman make a left , go to Sallisaw Ok make a right . Go past Poteau Ok across the AR line . If you get to Texarkana ya went to far . .

NCBS will be high on the list of things I will miss along with dry sheets and a lack of rust . Margaritas at 5:30 Sunday morning with my Spanish omlet too .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    My Rossi 45 lever shoots any size, shape, or weight boolit I can stuff in it. Never had any problems with any of them up thru and including the 300gn ones.