Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyRepackboxLee Precision
Inline FabricationLoad DataRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Roll Crimp 12G Hull Length

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by trapper9260 View Post
    I had made up my own 2" shells and I made some roll and fold and I did not change the data .Just how long I have them for fold and roll.They shot fine for me.i also done some the is about 1 3/4" too and no problems But those if you use a pump you will have to have it not a bottom feed and discharge. but the 2" will cycle fine in the pump.
    Unfortunately we can't own pump actions in Aus...we can however (and hopefully they won't change it), own lever action shotguns...Yeah well....don't want to say too much..There's no 2nd Amendment here...But I get what you say and agree, 2" shells are still OK...Thank you!!

Boolit Bub
    NoAngel...that's a beauty, man!!!

Thanks all..I have ordered a spin doctor and some 7/8" wads from BPI and will trim the 2-3/4 fired hulls so as to leave around 1/4" above the load/wad and practice like there's no tomorrow...Not many people here use 3" shells, so what I might do is to order some Rio/cheddite from BPI...

Rio hulls are very reasonable from BPI. I have slowly been stocking up on them over the last few months.

Sitting on about 300 rio's and 150 fiocchi's and boy do I sleep good at night.
    Need primers next, and todays project is to see if I can get a 90$ shotmaker off ebay making good shot.

Boolit Bub
    Hi All....quick update..been roll crimpin' and getting a bit better, but one question (more)...I am using a 1 1/8" wad and cut the shell just at the star crimp line....some lead balls protrude out of the crimp line, as in the pic.

I'm afraid that the protrusion will hit the primer of the shell sittin in front of it in the magazine...
    I have ordered some clear overshot cards from BPI and also a dual pin roll crimper as the single one damages some hulls...
    Also found that WinAA hulls are a pain to roll crimp...maybe the walls are too thick??
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_2410.JPG  

I don't think you have to worry about detonation really. If you split a nitro card in thirds or their segments you can use those for a overshot card. Just remember to mark your hulls slug load data.
    May you hands be warmed on a frosty day.

I would be reluctant to add any sort of card on top of a slug load with a round nose profile. Chances are the card will wedge between slug and barrel and cause a bulge.
    Cap'n Morgan

Quote Originally Posted by Cap'n Morgan View Post
    I would be reluctant to add any sort of card on top of a slug load with a round nose profile. Chances are the card will wedge between slug and barrel and cause a bulge.

CnM made a very possible point, so I might tend to stay away from the OSC and just keep the slug as is.
    May you hands be warmed on a frosty day.

Great thread, lots of good info here, thanks for all who have posted!
    Quick question for Bosco.... You can only have lever action shotguns, but you talk about magazines.
    What kind of gun do you have, I've not heard of a lever shotgun with a mag.
    Thanks!

Boolit Bub
    Bob, tubular magazine..I was worried that if the ball sticks out it would detonate the shell in front of it from the recoil...
    OnHoPr and Cap'nMorgan..I heard the same story about possible bulging from other guys here, so I'll stay away from overshot cards on slugs. Roll crimping does take some practice!!!

Ohhh a tube. Gotcha. That makes sense, thank you!

Boolit Buddy
    I once loaded Round Balls, with an over shot plastic card. I replaced shot with round balls: so I re-used the frangible plastic over-shot disks. Did my round balls work? Now thats another story - dismal accuracy [Lack of!] to 30 yards from a Mossberg 500 with Rifled barrel.

I have gone back to Lyman 525 slugs now.
    Last edited by Y-man; 10-30-2016 at 11:41 AM. Reason: Correction.

Not saying it can't happen, but I have shot a LOT of slugs and round ball with both thin over shot cards and clear over shot disks. Never had a single issue. Even recovered a few cards. They were mostly intact. The plastic ones shatter.
    Definitely beter to be safe than sorry, but I will continue to do things the same way.

I have heard good things about the 525, have only had a chance to load some lee keys

Quote Originally Posted by Y-man View Post
    I once loaded Round Balls, with an over shot plastic card. I replaced shot with round balls: so I re-used the frangible plastic over-shot disks. Did my round balls work? Now thats another story - dismal accuracy [Lack of!] to 30 yards from a Mossberg 500 with Rifled barrel.

I have gone back to Lyman 525 slugs now.

Boolit Bub
    Do not put a card wad of any kind over a slug. The slug can overrun the wad and iron a bulge in your barrel. Used to be common knowledge but often overlooked now.
    I have folded, rolled, and both work or don't work. Slugs in bombshells are a work in progress. I'm approaching 2K loaded so far, from Lyman Fosters, with and without "rifling", Brennekes, Lee key drives, Lyman sabots, and some imports. Best to date is the Lyman Shots in Fiocchi unskived cases, a one pc wad, and a cold crimp (12 gauge). Not having as much luck with 20.
    Next project is subsonic 12 gauge Lyman sabots in a Mossy 695 for my wife. Tried a few at 1100 out of a rifled 870 nd got 2" at 50 yards. 100 is still no man's land and my 220 and 695 both do 3" with Fed premium.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12