Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2Load DataReloading EverythingWideners
Repackbox Lee Precision
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Should I avoid 'Lee' Loading Dies?

Quote Originally Posted by DougGuy View Post
    Standard dies usually do a roll crimp. Usually have to order or buy a separate taper crimp die.
    Well, the couple of sets of Dies I presently have which I have began getting back in to loading with ( .38 Special, and .41 Magnum ), only do Taper Crimp.

I like Roll Crimp better though.
    Last edited by Oyeboten; 10-08-2016 at 02:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by .455 Webley View Post
    I use Lee dies for my .455 and they work. If you are of the 310 mind set get in touch with the 310 shop. I have worked with him in the past and he does great work. The link below takes you to his site.

http://www.cnyauctions.com/the310shop.htm
    Thank you!

I will give him a holler about some things.

How does a .452 Crimp Die pass over a .455 Bullet, without the Bullet being swaged narrower and or getting [ushed too far into the Cartridge Case, or getting stuck up in the Crimp Die?

I had this problem years ago and I hated it...( Bullet being stuck in the crimp Die, etc ) but I do not remember what brand of Dies it was, other than they were supposed to be for .45 Colt, and in those days, I did not know yet that .45 Colt got shrank over the years into being .452 like .45 ACP is.

My primary Press is the Lyman "Tru Line Jr." and I have an aftermarket Turret for it to accept great big fat Dies as well.
    Last edited by Oyeboten; 10-08-2016 at 02:31 PM.

My question is not so much about 'Lee' Dies in general, or how 'Lee' may offer hundreds of Dies for all kinds of various common Cartridges, which appear to be alright enough to make do with or which in some cases appear to be 'alright' period.

It is about my interest to load .455 Webley, ( and not seeing much to choose from for variety of makes ) and how 'Lee' with their .45 Colt Dies, told me on the telephone, that for actual 'older' or original .45 Colt which is .454 Bullets, all they can offer is the alternate Cartridge neck expander, which in their mind is somehow supposed to solve the problems of their Die set having resized the Case to .452, and for their Crimp Die to be passing around and over a .454 or .455 Bullet in order to roll crimp the Case mouth to .452, since that is all their .45 Colt Dies will do..."452".

So, if they admit their .45 Cold Dies are totally screwed up, how can I trust them when it comes to their .455 Dies?

If their .455 Dies were right, they could just use elements of those, for occasions of someone wanting .45 Colt Dies, which .455 roll drimp will do the proper crimp then, for .454 diameters of actual .45 Colt as it originally was.

To me the coercing a .452 Die Set to somehow work properly for .454/.455 seemed all wrong, hence, my worry about shelling out $40.00 or whatever, maybe more, for a wrongly designed set of Dies which are useless for my application.

If I had a Metal Lathe, none of this would be any problem, I could modify anything to be what it should have been in the first place, or, modify candidate Dies to suit my particular application.

I do not have a Metal Lathe right now, and I do not have room for one anyway. Not now...later on, yes, I will have one again and be in good shape for all kinds of stuff.

I will call 'Lee' and ask them about their .455 Webley Dies, and see if they are actually designed for .455 or if they are really some more indifferent hodge podge of .452 stuff being sold as "455".

New 'Redding' Dies, 3 Die Set, are $93.00 plus shipping...and, I would have no worries about them being some hodge podge of wrong sizes, meant for something else, cobbled together as an expedient.

If I am not finding encouragement to try the 'Lee' ones, I will just go for the Gusto with the 'Redding' ones..!
    Last edited by Oyeboten; 10-08-2016 at 02:25 PM.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Oyeboten View Post
    Well, the couple of sets of Dies I presently have which I have began getting back in to loading with ( .38 Special, and .41 Magnum ), only do Taper Crimp.

I like Roll Crimp better though.
    I think you are mistaking roll crimp for taper crimp. To my knowledge none of those dies come with a taper crimp die. Normally the boolit seater die, the standard boolit seater that they sell with all the sets of dies, ONLY does roll crimp. I

have NEVER gotten a Lee die in a standard or deluxe set where the boolit seater did anything BUT a roll crimp. Even the .45 ACP factory crimp die with the carbide ring, does a roll crimp and not a taper crimp. A taper crimp die is smooth and straight on the inside, the roll crimp has a smooth step where it would seat the boolit and also crimp. This die, if it has a step in it, is not a taper crimp die.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Quote Originally Posted by DougGuy View Post
    I think you are mistaking roll crimp for taper crimp. To my knowledge none of those dies come with a taper crimp die. Normally the boolit seater die, the standard boolit seater that they sell with all the sets of dies, ONLY does roll crimp. I

have NEVER gotten a Lee die in a standard or deluxe set where the boolit seater did anything BUT a roll crimp. Even the .45 ACP factory crimp die with the carbide ring, does a roll crimp and not a taper crimp. A taper crimp die is smooth and straight on the inside, the roll crimp has a smooth step where it would seat the boolit and also crimp. This die, if it has a step in it, is not a taper crimp die.
    The Dies I have so far been using for .38 Special and .41 Magnum and .32 20, are old Lyman "310" Dies, and they do the taper crimp.

Possibly they also had the "310" Crimp Dies available for doing roll crimp, and I will ask the "310" guy, who was recommended to me in post #19.

I have no use or interest in using any FMJ Bullets for any of my Revolvers or Automatics, so, a roll crimp would be what I would prefer rather than a taper crimp for all of my Hand Guns.

As it is, the old Lyman "310" Dies I am using are making a taper crimp.

I can post images showing this close up, later this evening sometime.

I do not presently have any 'Lee' Dies.

As previously said, I'll buy Lee dies in a new caliber as soon as I buy the barrel. Lee dies work very well. Maybe not the best and I may upgrade to a different brand, but I have loaded ALOT of ammo on lee dies. Largest percentage of my dies are Lee. Gets you started loading for certain caliber without the huge investment.

Boolit Master
    Not sure you can lay all the blame for Lee's 45 colt dies being "totally screwed up" on Lee as Colt has done plenty to make the situation bad. If you go to SAAMI website you'll most likely find that chamber drawings for the Colt show a tapered chamber as does the specs for the case. Yet everyone is using a carbide die for the case which will only make a straight wall. Reports of cylinder throat and barrel groove/land dimensions are likewise more than varied. "Common knowledge" says that prior to WWII Colt used 454 as the groove diameter and bullet diameter, that after WWII they were using 452 I heard this both supported and disputed by reputable sources. I don't think a die maker can be held to the fire over issues it has no control over. Notice the as dropped diameter of 45 caliber cast bullets as well. I have two of the Lee 230 TL round nose which both drop 454 bullets that were made about 10 years apart. Yet this bullet is intended for 45 ACP which has always had a standard of 452. As casters we are told to use boolits that are at least .e are told 001 oversize of groove diameter, .002 being better. At the same time we are told that with revolvers, regardless of groove diameter, the boolit must match or be slightly larger than chamber throat diameter. So what's a fella to do when the groove diameter is .002-.003 larger than the chamber throat which is not uncommon, or the reverse, a groove diameter smaller than the chamber throat ( I have a Dan Wesson with this issue) Over the years I've read more than a few articles about revolvers which have both these conditions in the same gun. And now we ask that die makers make dies which account for and balance all these issues? As was once famously said, "Nuts".

I have Lee dies that work without issue I have Lee dies that I only use one die of the set and other makers for the other steps. I have issues with Lyman dies. I have issues with Redding (usually rifle dies which don't allow for use with heavy/long for cartridge boolits) which raises another issue altogether. All of us are using dies which are manufactured to standards designed for jacketed bullets and here we are running cast boolits through them. All I have to do as a reloader of cast boolits to begin having issues with dies is to use boolits which are oversize in diameter or length and even off enough from jacketed profiles in some cases and I have trouble with the dies regardless who made them. I have a set of 280 Remington Hornady dies which gives me fits if a boolit is over 285, yet the barrel really needs a boolit of 288.

I believe firmly that the Lee die will work with components and make ammo within SAAMI spec for the cartridge. I've also had less trouble loading cast boolits with Lee dies than other makes but I've a set of 44 Magnum dies that I cannot seat and crimp in the seating die if the boolit is 430 as it will shave lead. I resolve the issue by using a 45 Colt die to seat to depth then crimp with the 44 die.

If it were my money I'd get the Lee dies and see what happens, adjusting the loading process as needed to get the results I want, knowing it is not a perfect world.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnH View Post
    Not sure you can lay all the blame for Lee's 45 colt dies being "totally screwed up" on Lee as Colt has done plenty to make the situation bad. If you go to SAAMI website you'll most likely find that chamber drawings for the Colt show a tapered chamber as does the specs for the case. Yet everyone is using a carbide die for the case which will only make a straight wall. Reports of cylinder throat and barrel groove/land dimensions are likewise more than varied. "Common knowledge" says that prior to WWII Colt used 454 as the groove diameter and bullet diameter, that after WWII they were using 452 I heard this both supported and disputed by reputable sources. I don't think a die maker can be held to the fire over issues it has no control over.
    Quite so!

It just seems to me, that since many people wish to load for older .45 Colt Revolvers, offering Dies which anticipate .454 or .455 Bullets, would merely be basic common sense.

I do not find there to be any 'SAMMI' for .455 Webley though.

Notice the as dropped diameter of 45 caliber cast bullets as well. I have two of the Lee 230 TL round nose which both drop 454 bullets that were made about 10 years apart. Yet this bullet is intended for 45 ACP which has always had a standard of 452. As casters we are told to use boolits that are at least .e are told 001 oversize of groove diameter, .002 being better.
    That is my understanding also, one would usually want the Lead Bullet to be one or two thousandths over Bore size, or, so long as the Cartridge will chamber this way, anyway.

One can vary the diamater of an 'as cast' at least a little bit, with how hard one is gripping the Mold Handles together.

At the same time we are told that with revolvers, regardless of groove diameter, the boolit must match or be slightly larger than chamber throat diameter.
    Yes...and sometimes the Cylinder Bores are too small for this, or sometimes, they are even a little too large for the ideal.

So what's a fella to do when the groove diameter is .002-.003 larger than the chamber throat which is not uncommon,
    "Hollow Base" Bullets...Lol...

or the reverse, a groove diameter smaller than the chamber throat ( I have a Dan Wesson with this issue)
    If wishing to fill the Cylinder Bore diameter, then, stay with a softer Lead alloy, and see how things go, I guess..!

Over the years I've read more than a few articles about revolvers which have both these conditions in the same gun. And now we ask that die makers make dies which account for and balance all these issues? As was once famously said, "Nuts".
    Well, for .45 Colt anyway, it does not seem to me to be too much to ask, that Die Makers would appreciate that the older Revolvers prefer a .454 or 455 or even 456 Bullet, and, that Dies made for this would sell to those people who want them for the older Revolvers.

.45 Colt was a very popular Cartridge back before the War, and many .45 Colt Revolvers from that period are still being used and enjoyed. Likewise with many .455 Webley Chambered Revolvers.

When I called Lee about their 45 Colt Dies, I had not yet gotten my .455 Webley chambered S & W Revolver...or, I would have asked them in the same conversation, what specs their Dies have, when stated to be for the .455.

If Lee already offers dies for the .455 which are 'right', I can always use those for my .45 Colts also. and if they do have .455 Dies which are right, how much extra trouble would it be, for them to use the Crimp die and expander from that, as an option for .45 Colt die sets?

Of course a full length re size die might be nice to have for when needed, and one .45 Colt length die would serve both for Cartridges then, of course.

I will call them this coming week, and ask about their .455 Webley Dies.

I have Lee dies that work without issue I have Lee dies that I only use one die of the set and other makers for the other steps. I have issues with Lyman dies. I have issues with Redding (usually rifle dies which don't allow for use with heavy/long for cartridge boolits) which raises another issue altogether. All of us are using dies which are manufactured to standards designed for jacketed bullets and here we are running cast boolits through them. All I have to do as a reloader of cast boolits to begin having issues with dies is to use boolits which are oversize in diameter or length and even off enough from jacketed profiles in some cases and I have trouble with the dies regardless who made them. I have a set of 280 Remington Hornady dies which gives me fits if a boolit is over 285, yet the barrel really needs a boolit of 288.
    I can imagine...

One really needs to have the ability to make Hones, Reamers, and or to have access to a good Metal Lathe, to do justice to these things, I think.

I believe firmly that the Lee die will work with components and make ammo within SAAMI spec for the cartridge.
    I do not think there is a 'SAMMI' for .455 Webley...or, if there is, I am not finding it.

It is not represented here, for example.

http://saami.org/PubResources/CC_Dra...-%20Pistol.pdf

I've also had less trouble loading cast boolits with Lee dies than other makes but I've a set of 44 Magnum dies that I cannot seat and crimp in the seating die if the boolit is 430 as it will shave lead. I resolve the issue by using a 45 Colt die to seat to depth then crimp with the 44 die.

If it were my money I'd get the Lee dies and see what happens, adjusting the loading process as needed to get the results I want, knowing it is not a perfect world.
    I will call Lee this coming week, and ask them about their .455 Dies, and see what they say.

Thanks for your Post!

I am sure, when it comes to Dies, it is seldom an ideal situation, especially when we want to be using slightly different ( or a little over size ) Bullets/Boolits, or trying to suit Cartridges for what by now are some fairly old and out of production Chamberings.

Boolit Master

I have Lee and RCBS dies. As time goes by I find myself buying more green. That said, Lee was the only option for 7.62x25 Tokarev, unless you wanted to spend a lot of bucks for a special order set from RCBS. I ran into issues with the seating die. I'm shooting cast through it and each time I retracted a seated round, it was pulling the bullet out of the case. The die body needed to be enlarged, which I was able to accomplish. He other issue was the seater insert was floating, rattling around inside instead of aligned on the central axis. I went as far as visiting a machinist about turning a bushing for the inside of the die body to keep the seater properly aligned. I didn't get that part done yet but still intend to. I thought this specific die was not so good. My experience with all their other stuff is fine.

Boolit Master
    I use Dillon dies for the calibers they make and the rest are revolver wildcats with the exception of one caliber I use Hornady dies. I have a 500 Linebaugh and the only companies making dies for this 30 some year old cartridge was CH4D, Hornady and RCBS. RCBS only offered this caliber in1" dies. I passed on this reason alone since I do load this cartridge on a progressive. I can use 1" dies on my single stage and my turret. I only bought the Hornady because it was readily available and to my surprise I got a separate roll crimp and a separate taper crimp die. I use the taper crimp die and it works well for the 500 Linebaugh 1.4" and 1.3". I will try it on the 1.2" soon to see if it works and I believe it will handle the 1.2" or more commonly know as the Bowen Special. I noticed in this cartridge both the Hornady and the Lyman 50 rifle M plug works very well using .510-.511 cast bullets. I took a Catalina goat with the 1.3" version this year using cast. My wife took both a Corsican ram and a Russian hog with her necked down 475 Linebaugh revolver in 45 caliber. I have a Hornady die set in a 40 caliber 30-30 wildcat and I will send the Hornady expander back to Ben and have it turned down for this cartridge. The one I have acts as a flaring die not as an expander. I solved it with a CH4D M plug and I have a Universal Lee die if I need just the case neck flared and the die does not expand.

If I need a die set for an obsolete caliber I look to RCBS and CH4D. CH4D makes more calibers than all the other companies combined. I really don't look at Lee as they don't make many dies as Hornady, RCBS, Redding and CH4D. I do have a 40 caliber Lee FCD that I use on one wildcat and I have their Universal decapping die that I had the inside polished out to decap the 500 Linebaugh. I bought a Redding die set for my wife's new 375 Winchester and a tapered expander for this cartridge. Lee will make custom expander's for their dies through custom services but the wait is long. I bought a Lee rifle factory crimp die and CH4D is making me a taper crimp die for the cartridge. I also have a CH4D M plug for using on a single stage or turret press.

I have a set of 45-70 Lee dies. They are okay I guess. I haven't replaced them yet, nor do I use their expanding die. I use either the Dillon setup or the M plug. I shoot a lot of cast in this as well as pistol stuff. I don't have very many Lyman or Forster dies but in either obsolete or popular rifle calibers.

take care

r1kk1

Should I avoid 'Lee' Loading Dies?

My question is not so much about 'Lee' Dies in general, or how 'Lee' may offer hundreds of Dies for all kinds of various common Cartridges, which appear to be alright enough to make do with or which in some cases appear to be 'alright' period.

It is about my interest to load .455 Webley, ( and not seeing much to choose from for variety of makes ) and how 'Lee' with their .45 Colt Dies, told me on the telephone, that for actual 'older' or original .45 Colt which is .454 Bullets, all they can offer is the alternate Cartridge neck expander, which in their mind is somehow supposed to solve the problems of their Die set having resized the Case to .452, and for their Crimp Die to be passing around and over a .454 or .455 Bullet in order to roll crimp the Case mouth to .452, since that is all their .45 Colt Dies will do..."452".

So, if they admit their .45 Cold Dies are totally screwed up, how can I trust them when it comes to their .455 Dies?

If their .455 Dies were right, they could just use elements of those, for occasions of someone wanting .45 Colt Dies, which .455 roll drimp will do the proper crimp then, for .454 diameters of actual .45 Colt as it originally was.

To me the coercing a .452 Die Set to somehow work properly for .454/.455 seemed all wrong, hence, my worry about shelling out $40.00 or whatever, maybe more, for a wrongly designed set of Dies which are useless for my application.

If I had a Metal Lathe, none of this would be any problem, I could modify anything to be what it should have been in the first place, or, modify candidate Dies to suit my particular application.

I do not have a Metal Lathe right now, and I do not have room for one anyway. Not now...later on, yes, I will have one again and be in good shape for all kinds of stuff.

I will call 'Lee' and ask them about their .455 Webley Dies, and see if they are actually designed for .455 or if they are really some more indifferent hodge podge of .452 stuff being sold as "455".

New 'Redding' Dies, 3 Die Set, are $93.00 plus shipping...and, I would have no worries about them being some hodge podge of wrong sizes, meant for something else, cobbled together as an expedient.

If I am not finding encouragement to try the 'Lee' ones, I will just go for the Gusto with the 'Redding' ones..!
    Are you loading 455 Webley for a 455 British service revolver? If so you shouldn't be using .455" bullets. I'm not going to type it all out again but posts #77 and #79 should explain why.
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-Buy-(GB)-open

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    Nope - I like lee dies. Cheap and they work great.

Quote Originally Posted by mdi View Post
    Lee gets a lot of bad press, mainly because they are inexpensive and the "tool snobs" aka, Lee Haters, like to bad mouth them. I started with Lee equipment in 1969 and have used Lee dies since '80 when I got a bench press. In that time, and 11 sets of Lee dies I've only had one problem (flaring/powder through die for 45 ACP wouldn't flare the case enough for my cast bullets). I also have RCBS, Herters, Pacific, and one or two other die sets I can't remember off hand, and the Lee Dies produce ammo as good as any (but I am partial to Redding Profile Crimp dies for my revolvers)...

You need to bee careful of "forum experts'" skewed opinions and research for yourself, not making decisions solely from what you read on forums...
    To the OP: This statement is the exact thing that has brought about your questions, and it couldn't have been stated better.

You have allowed yourself to become influenced by Internet Experts, or Tool Snobs.

When you consider that Lee sells more reloading tools than everyone else combined, you have to ask yourself,,,

"is this stuff really that bad?"

When some Bozo tells me about his negative experiences with Lee Tools and how none of them have worked for him, my first question is,,, "did you read the instructions?" Or more properly,,, "do you have any idea what you are doing?"

I already know the answer.

Don't be fooled by idiots or the naysayers. You always have to question what their motives are.

Kind of like all the Trump bashing you've been hearing on TV for the last year and a half?

But in his case it is all about two people wanting to become the most powerful person on the planet. Pretty big motivator, HUH?

Don't be influenced by the Media or Internet. Go look, test, ask questions and make up your own mind.

Too bad we can't get everyone to think like this? Too many of these out there.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Quote Originally Posted by fred2892 View Post
    Are you loading 455 Webley for a 455 British service revolver? If so you shouldn't be using .455" bullets. I'm not going to type it all out again but posts #77 and #79 should explain why.
    That's a long Thread! What page of that Thread is the Post you have in mind for me to read?

I might be happy with .456 Boolits, I have not dug out my Verneer Dial Caliper yet to measure the Cylinder Bores and Barrel Bore.

I do not plan to be using Hollow Base Bullets/Boolits though, nor any FMJ ( if such could even be found )...only flat face Wadcutters or lighter 'Gallery' Wadcutters if I can find a Mold for them.

Here is my Revolver ~

Hosted on Fotki
    Last edited by Oyeboten; 10-09-2016 at 03:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
    To the OP: This statement is the exact thing that has brought about your questions, and it couldn't have been stated better.

You have allowed yourself to become influenced by Internet Experts, or Tool Snobs.

When you consider that Lee sells more reloading tools than everyone else combined, you have to ask yourself,,,

"is this stuff really that bad?"

When some Bozo tells me about his negative experiences with Lee Tools and how none of them have worked for him, my first question is,,, "did you read the instructions?" Or more properly,,, "do you have any idea what you are doing?"

I already know the answer.

Don't be fooled by idiots or the naysayers. You always have to question what their motives are.

Kind of like all the Trump bashing you've been hearing on TV for the last year and a half?

But in his case it is all about two people wanting to become the most powerful person on the planet. Pretty big motivator, HUH?

Don't be influenced by the Media or Internet. Go look, test, ask questions and make up your own mind.

Too bad we can't get everyone to think like this? Too many of these out there.

Randy
    No...

I was trying to find out whether anyone knows if the Lee Dies for the .455 Webley, are in fact ".455" or better, since I do not want to buy a set only to find out they are actually for .452, like the Lee .45 Colt Dies are.

If the Lee Dies for the .455 Webley are in fact .455, then my other question is, why does't Lee use the same tooling to make correct .454/.455 Dies for the older .45 Colt Revolvers?

I would not have worried about this if it were not for my having called Lee some time back to ask them about their .45 Colt Dies, and whether they offered them for the older Colts which use .454 or .455 or .456 Boolits, where, Lee told me, their .45 Colt Dies only do .452 but that one can get a .454ish Expander as an option to go with the .452 Die Set.

Since to me, this made no sense at all, I found myself wondering if their .455 Webley Die set was going to be the same way.

I will call Lee on Tuesday and talk with them about this.
    Last edited by Oyeboten; 10-09-2016 at 03:49 PM.

I am sure that for most of the Companies who make Loading Dies, there will be some Cartridges or Cartridge applications, or Bullet types, etc, for which a given Company's Dies will be dissapointing, or for which the Dies will not work as one would hope, even if their Dies for other Cartridges are just fine.

Boolit Master
    I do not think there is a 'SAMMI' for .455 Webley...or, if there is, I am not finding it.
    It is not represented here, for example.
    http://saami.org/PubResources/CC_Dra...-%20Pistol.pdf
    Well, I popped of my mouth some before I spoke of SAAMI specs. Considering that it is a British cartridge that was likely never chambered as a commercial offering in the US I should have known there likely weren't any specs for it, SAAMI being an industry group which sets industry standard dimensions for ammunition and firearms. Your link is the right place no doubt.

I do wonder this though, have you slugged or otherwise measured in some way your revolver (Nice example of a 1917 S&W) to see what the barrel bore/groove and chamber throat dimensions actually are? It is an odd thing in this world that a 44 actually takes a bullet that is 429 and a 38 can be either 357 (38 Special and357 Magnum) or 360 (38 S&W) and that 32 (32-20, 32 Colt New Police 32 S&W) actually takes a 312. Just a few of the oddities in cartridge nomenclature.

I have a Second Model Hand Ejector (Same gun your 1917) made circa 1932 in 44 Special and enjoy it immensely. Have a good day and good luck with your journey.

That's a long Thread! What page of that Thread is the Post you have in mind for me to read?

I might be happy with .456 Boolits, I have not dug out my Verneer Dial Caliper yet to measure the Cylinder Bores and Barrel Bore.

I do not plan to be using Hollow Base Bullets/Boolits though, nor any FMJ ( if such could even be found )...only flat face Wadcutters or lighter 'Gallery' Wadcutters if I can find a Mold for them.

Here is my Revolver ~

Hosted on Fotki
    Ok, posts as stated was 77 and 79. If you had read them you would have seen that 455 Webley uses .451" bullets. Not 455 or 456.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnH View Post
    Well, I popped of my mouth some before I spoke of SAAMI specs. Considering that it is a British cartridge that was likely never chambered as a commercial offering in the US I should have known there likely weren't any specs for it, SAAMI being an industry group which sets industry standard dimensions for ammunition and firearms. Your link is the right place no doubt.
    'SAMMI' does have specs or standards for quite a few ( of what had originally been ) foreign Cartridges...if maybe they seem to not bother with ones which by now would be thought of as obsolete or obscure.

[/quote]I do wonder this though, have you slugged or otherwise measured in some way your revolver (Nice example of a 1917 S&W) to see what the barrel bore/groove and chamber throat dimensions actually are? [/quote]

I will be doing so in just a few minutes...

It is an odd thing in this world that a 44 actually takes a bullet that is 429 and a 38 can be either 357 (38 Special and357 Magnum) or 360 (38 S&W) and that 32 (32-20, 32 Colt New Police 32 S&W) actually takes a 312. Just a few of the oddities in cartridge nomenclature.
    For sure...Lol...and the old Cap & Ball .44s, the Actual Cylinder Chambers could be anywhere from .450 on the monry, to .455 even, depending on make and model.

I have a Second Model Hand Ejector (Same gun your 1917) made circa 1932 in 44 Special and enjoy it immensely. Have a good day and good luck with your journey.
    My Revolver is not actually a Model of 1917, but, an early 2nd Model Hand ejector, probably dating to late 1914 or early 1915. I need to wander over to the S & W Forum to have them give me a date roughly.

The old S & W 'N Frames' are so nice, and they are a good fit and comfortable for my Hand also...they are "just right"..!

Quote Originally Posted by fred2892 View Post
    Ok, posts as stated was 77 and 79. If you had read them you would have seen that 455 Webley uses .451" bullets. Not 455 or 456.

Thanks fred2892!

Reading them right now...

I have my Verneer Dial Calliper rounded up, and I will make some measurements of the S & W here shortly.
    Last edited by Oyeboten; 10-09-2016 at 05:15 PM.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast