Load DataRepackboxTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Wideners Inline Fabrication
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Which 6.5?

Boolit Buddy
    After doing a ton of research over the past year I am in the process of building a 6.5 Creedmoor myself. From what I've gathered I agree with Tygar's statements. I am old enough I don't enjoy recoil much at all any more. Shooting more and more small calibers. Had went to cast in my 30-06 for that very reason. Have decided I want something that will reach out farther than the 22-250 and take deer. I want something the wife can hunt with and I can still shot long range when I want to. The 6.5 Creedmoor seems to fit the bill. Granted I have never shot one. I have a barrel and 308 brass for case forming on the way. If I can remember to I'll post my findings after I get it put together. I will keep my 30-06 barrel in case I ever need it.

Floyd

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by tygar View Post
    Hey! read the paragraph: "The point is the guy wanted to know about the 260, Creedmoor & the x55".

And, he didn't say CAST, he asked about these calibers. He wanted an easy, accurate rifle for his wife! I explained my take & WHY it is better.

He wanted input, I gave it. Either contribute or don't, but don't ever get on me. I know what I'm talking about & I won't take ****.
    It's all good... I'll take any advice I can get. I'm not too proud to listen to someone with experience where I have none.
    I do agree with all the posters pushing the .30 cal cast loads... but as I said in a previous post I'm looking to deviate from the .30's a little. I've always held that bigger and heavier is better when it comes to bullets, boolits, sticks, stones etc. but as I get older and gain more knowledge, patience and experience, (and sore spots) I'm looking at the alternatives that have been staring me in the face all this time but have been stoically ignored. I know I could download my m77 or .303 and hand them to my wife or any of the kids and they could shoot it comfortably all day, and I undoubtedly will, regardless of the outcome of this particular quest. I also know that I could (and will) just as easily hand them my '94 or Savage 340 and factory 30-30 loads with the same results. Same goes for the Ruger Deerfield.
    In addition to the light recoil aspect of the 6.5, I am looking at the long range performance as well. I also stated I am getting ready for a relocation (most likely Western Colorado) where longer shots are going to be more likely and I want to branch out into some different types of shooting that, while the 30-06 is certainly capable of, it may not be the best choice. I won't give up on my m77, by any means, but neither do I now, nor will I probably ever again, (inert sad smiley here ) live in the North Country where Moose and Bear are a common denominator... I can afford to downsize a bit. I'm confident that any of the three 6.5's I'm looking at have the ability to take Elk sized game and smaller, and I'm confident in my ability to make that happen, as needed, with proper shot placement, etc.
    My main objective with this thread was to see some real world examples of each cartridge's performance in the field and apply them to my decision making process.
    So far, I have compiled the following comparisons:
    Cartridge Pros Cons
    6.5x55 Swede Fairly common brass and better selection of factory ammo Long action
    Cheaply acquired milsurps for base rifle Extra cost/work to sporterize
    Better performance with larger (160gr) bullet Factory offerings tend to run a little more $ (Tikka, etc.)
    Can be found in a used factory rifle for good price
    .260 Rem Brass can be made from .308 family Hornady Brass can be soft
    Short action Best with 140gr bullet and under
    Inexpensive factory rifle Not as much selection of factory ammo
    6.5 Creedmoor Better case design than .260? Brass /ammo harder to find
    Short action Best with 140gr bullet and under
    Inexpensive factory rifle, best value

Not an all-inclusive list by any means, I haven't had a whole lot of time to research over the past few days...

I really don't know how much of a factor 140 vs 160gr bullets is going to be... what little research I did do showed some pretty great performance out of the 140gr class bullets on some good sized game. That's probably more than enough for me, I think.

As far as casting goes, I'm still not quite all there yet, but it will come. Starting with the .30's, of course.

Thanks for all of the great replies on this thread... please, by all means, keep them coming! Every question I've asked on this forum has been answered with great wisdom and experience. It's what makes this the best shooting forum out there.

Vendor Sponsor

It would be 260 or 7-08
    The Ruger American in 7-08 is a great rifle .. shoots MUCH better than the price range
    Light, short cheap and accurate
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Bub
    Smoke, do you have any "pet loads?"
    Pics of DRT bucks etc?

Banned
    Floyd, do let us know how it goes. I just used my last 2 Rem actions, so need to get stuff to make whatever I make.

I just order "another" Ruger American" in 308. Had bought a 30-06 to make a 338-06. After I shot it & it was sub MOA, I decided to get one in 308 for one of my sons for Xmas.

As for the 160 vs 140gr bullets, the 140s in hunting bullets will perform very well. There are no good LR bullets in 160 that I know of. There is a reason the 140s are the go to bullet for LR, hunting & match.

Personally, I think the 260, using necked up 243 brass or down 308 (but you will probably have to turn the necks) is a great all around choice. Don't think, for hunting purposes, you'll notice the difference. I also would go with the Savage. It has great out of the box accuracy, although, after shooting the RA, that may also be a good inexpensive choice, as the Savages will be more.

Boolit Buddy
    I want a creedmore and a 6.5x55 swede.

Boolit Grand Master
    Personally, I have never loaded or shot any 156-160 grain bullets in any of my 6.5's. I tend to start with 140's and as long as they group acceptably, stay with them. Since I was primarily hunting whitetail deer in Missouri when I was looking for a jacketed load, I would have gone down to the 120-130 class before I went to anything heavier.

As I said before, pick the rifle, then the cartridge. I don't think you will ever find any discernable difference on any animal from elk on down with an appropriate bullet with any of the three cartridges.

Robert

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by tygar View Post
    Floyd, do let us know how it goes. I just used my last 2 Rem actions, so need to get stuff to make whatever I make.

I just order "another" Ruger American" in 308. Had bought a 30-06 to make a 338-06. After I shot it & it was sub MOA, I decided to get one in 308 for one of my sons for Xmas.

As for the 160 vs 140gr bullets, the 140s in hunting bullets will perform very well. There are no good LR bullets in 160 that I know of. There is a reason the 140s are the go to bullet for LR, hunting & match.

Personally, I think the 260, using necked up 243 brass or down 308 (but you will probably have to turn the necks) is a great all around choice. Don't think, for hunting purposes, you'll notice the difference. I also would go with the Savage. It has great out of the box accuracy, although, after shooting the RA, that may also be a good inexpensive choice, as the Savages will be more.
    Thanks, tygar, that's very helpful information on the 140's.
    I do like Savage rifles, hunted with dad's old 110 in 30-06 some as a kid, even borrowed it a few times moose hunting as an adult... It definitely is a good product, I guess you could say the Savage 10/16 is a step or so up from the Ruger AP in the food chain, as the Ruger is their equivalent/answer to the Savage Axis... although the AP definitely gives the Savage 10 series a run for its money, head and shoulders over the Axis, in my opinion.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by 1187Shooter View Post
    My choices come down to the 6.5 Creedmoor in a Ruger American Predator, the .260 Remington Savage LW Hunter, and the venerable 6.5x55 Swede. The Swede is available in a few factory rifles or the going route of sporterizing a Mauser.
    Just grab a Howa, and consider job done! http://www.wholesalehunter.com/produ...uctid=11105534 6.5x55 is a superb cartridge, readily available, and mild in recoil. A proven game-getter.
    Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory ... lasts forever.
    Retired USN
    NRA Life

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Mk42gunner View Post
    As I said before, pick the rifle, then the cartridge. I don't think you will ever find any discernable difference on any animal from elk on down with an appropriate bullet with any of the three cartridges.

Robert
    The flaw in that theory is that it ignores the non performace related differences... ammo and brass availability and quality being a big one. Short action vs. long action is another.
    Not to mention the fact that there are way more variables when it comes to the different platforms available than there are between the 3 chamberings themselves. It also doesn't help that several of them are available in more than one of these chamberings...
    Easier to narrow down the cartridge choices then start in on the rifle options... at least for me, anyways.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion8 View Post
    Just grab a Howa, and consider job done! http://www.wholesalehunter.com/produ...uctid=11105534 6.5x55 is a superb cartridge, readily available, and mild in recoil. A proven game-getter.
    Yet another option... Howa's a good rifle. My BIL has one in 300WM that is an absolute tackdriver.

1187Shooter, the only thing I would comment on your assessment (Post #42) is that right now, Creedmoor brass and ammo is easier to find and cheaper than .260 Rem ammo (correct headstamp brass). Will it eventually go the route of the .260? Who knows.

As for the 7mm-08, if I absolutely have to kill a deer, I grab my Browning A-Bolt in 7mm-08. It likes a load of 47.0 grains of H4350 under a 140 grain Nosler Accubond. I use the regular BTs to practice and the Accubond to hunt. They shoot identically. Brass type doesn't seem to matter, nor does primer. I have used Remington and Federal brass and CCI and Federal primers and they all shoot the same.
    I will be taking it to Canada next year to caribou hunt as well.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by HandgunHTR View Post
    1187Shooter, the only thing I would comment on your assessment (Post #42) is that right now, Creedmoor brass and ammo is easier to find and cheaper than .260 Rem ammo (correct headstamp brass). Will it eventually go the route of the .260? Who knows.
    Good point on the brass availability, although the .260 does have the advantage of easier conversion of other .308 family brass... the correct headstamp matters to an extent, but not an insurmountable obstacle.

Banned
    FWIW I have at least half dozen conversions that I do & have never had a problem. Keep them in the correct cans, clearly marked & mark the ammo boxes clearly, no problem.

That said, I have made mistakes before - fired a 308 in a 06 once. It was quite interesting when I looked at the straight walled 308 upon extraction.

Oh, something I have also done, is to use a magic marker to mark the bottom of the cartridge case to distinguish them.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevinakaq View Post
    Have that rifle/caliber in a left hand version on layway right now. Look forward to toting in along the trail...

Also have an Arisaka Type 38 in 6.5, a Sweedish Mauser in 6.5, and a 6.5 Creedmoor target rifle. Would pick up a 6.5x55 caliber rifle with zero regret hunting the game mentioned by the OP. A fine chambering indeed.

My two overpriced cents,
    Kev
    How is the accuracy on the Arisaka and the Swedish Mauser ?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Hipshot1 View Post
    How is the accuracy on the Arisaka and the Swedish Mauser ?
    With my old eyes, accuracy is measured in "minute of blur"...

If you can find one get her a Tikka T3 Hunter in .260 or 6.5x55. She will love the looks and light weight. The smooth action and easy loading magazine are bonuses as well. The accuracy will blow you both away. Best, Thomas.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    If you can find one get her a Tikka T3 Hunter in .260 or 6.5x55. She will love the looks and light weight. The smooth action and easy loading magazine are bonuses as well. The accuracy will blow you both away. Best, Thomas.
    If I do end up going with the Swede, it will most likely be a T3, if I don't go the milsurp sporter route.

I've gone that route(custom milsurp) many times. Enjoyable to do but you end up spending more $$ if you want a nice rifle. Best, Thomas.

I guided Pronghorn hunters last week and one of the hunters had a .243 Rem model 7 Youth model. He got his buck at 300 yards with one shot. That Model 7 deserves consideration(again-if you can find one in .260) A very neat rifle. Best, Thomas.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast