WidenersLee PrecisionInline FabricationLoad Data
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Repackbox
Titan Reloading Snyders Jerky

Thread: Wohoo! Casting With New Boolit molds To Try In Browning/Miruko 1885 BPCR

Boolit Master

Thumbs up Wohoo! Casting With New Boolit molds To Try In Browning/Miruko 1885 BPCR

Had a great day casting today! I received my three custom molds from "Accurate molds" today! Great turn around time Tom!
    This is the 525 grain Postell clones that I casted today {Mold design 46-525B}, (actual weight is an average of 548 grains with a near pure lead alloy). There are a few boolits that will be discarded in the sorting process hiding amongst the other boolits in the pictures. They were not sorted at the time of the picture, but I was getting impatient to get some pictures and a thread to share with you guys! LOL!

This bullet is a 420 grain (Mold design 46-420H), double crimping groove bullet. The extra groove compensates for the shorter Hornady brass I use occasionally. This should be a great hunting bullet for my T/C Katadin Barrel, and Marlin Guide Gun!

This bullet is a design (46-482T) that Tom at Accurate Molds drew up for me when I sent him my serrasafe chamber cast dimensions to fit my browning Miruko 1885, BPCR in 45-70 Govt. If I seat this bullet to the bottom on the lower rounded relief groove, this bullet is placed against the rifling and fills the throat of the chamber very,very well! Tom suggested for me to add the two rounded relief grooves to reduce the leading potential of such a large surface area of the nose section. If this boolit design shoots well, it should be a Hell's Hammer to the game! I can hardly wait!

Here is a picture of the 525 Postell clone (actually 548 grains) on the left, and the 485 grain "Hell's Hammer" (LOL), bullet on the right. I lubed the lower round relief groove by mistake. But I will shoot it that way anyhow for the initial test. The "Hell's Hammer" is an experiment I am trying for my Browning 1885 BPCR. I think its gonna be fun!

I will report back with targets, and load stats information, when I get the chance to shoot these loads!

Hope you like the pictures!
    Last edited by Dthunter; 10-07-2016 at 12:13 PM. Reason: Detail corrections

Vendor Sponsor

Fun stuff.
    I have a few questions;
    Are the molds all bevel base bullets?
    The Postell with the flat nose looks interesting. Are you intending it to be a Black Powder fueled bullet?
    Why, other than low velocity hunting bullets, are you using such soft lead? (I may have answered my own question on this one)

New molds and designs are exciting. Take care and have fun.
    Chill Wills

Boolit Bub
    Wow. That's cool. Those ought to make some big hurt.

Boolit Grand Master

That postell at 548 grns should make a good long range bullet and carry energy real good. I have a 550 grn mould by Bernie Rowels at Old West Moulds that shoot really well out to 500yds starting it out at 1200 fps. It carries velocity real good also.

Boolit Master
    Chill Wills:

1.) The molds are not bevel based. It looks like that because I wasn't producing perfect bullets yet, and the pictures are a bit deceiving.
    2.) I plan to fuel these bullets with Smokeless for now. Later, I may try the black.
    3.) Why use such soft bullets? Well, I am trying some hunting with this rifle, and I want the bullet to upset if possible. The alloy had tested out around 2.5-3.0 on my saeco tester, so the lead used is just short of pure lead. Primarily, I will be punching paper and ringing the gongs (and any lead will do for that).

A little thread update:

I tried trapping a bullet today, and I was finally successful! Yahoo!

- This bullet that I recovered started at 546 grains and ended its flight weighting 530 grains! Great retention!

- velocity of this bullet was 1451 fps. (chronygraphed).

- Range was at 100 yards.

- medium was a 5 gallon pail full of muddy water laid length wise to bullet travel path. And behind the pail was a 18" diameter spruce log.

- The bullet hit the pail well centered, and travelled the length of the pail (rupturing the whole length of the pail), and was stopped in the spruce log with about 2.5" penetration.

- mushroomed bullet diameter was 1.0195" ( I nipped off a small part of the rolled over part of the mushroomed skirt with the axe while extracting the bullet from the log).

With expansion like that, there may be some serious wound channels in the rifles future! I am so looking forward to try them!

In This picture, the mushroomed Postell bullet is flanked by two of its unfired clones, and is the same nearly pure lead alloy mixture.

Last edited by Dthunter; 10-08-2016 at 07:42 PM. Reason: correcting details

Vendor Sponsor

Nice! Any of those bullets are big game stoppers!

Clearly you're having fun!

carry on....
    Chill Wills

very nice and glad to see another having fun with their Browning/Winchester BPCR with the Badger barrel {i am guessing on the barrel}. that Tom does some super work at a very reasonable price. i have 10 or 12 of his molds and i could look no further for a truly custom mold built to my diameter/length specs anywhere ... at any price.

added thought;

what is the cartridge to the right of your last picture? looks interesting as i am contemplating a large diameter ... very slow ... very heavy boolited case for a custom encore barrel ... with threads on the end as well. so do tell pls?

Boolit Master
    Big Ted: the cartridge to the right is the 500 whisper.
    A shortened 338 Lapua case sized and machined to accept 50 cal bullets. The 750 A-max is loaded in that case.