WidenersReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Inline FabricationRepackboxLoad DataTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Scoping a Blackhawk

Banned

My guns eat some of those things for breakfast! For a scope my old loopy and a Tasco have held up even to the .500 but I had tubes of broken glass a few times.
    Some mounts with clamps on the barrel will eat grooves in the barrel.
    I use Ultra Dots and BFR or Weigand bases. Scopes suck for hunting. Need light and a rest. Scopes from a rest are good for target.
    Some reflex sights will shear screws. I called companies about a few and told the gun, was told NO! A reflex to hold up will cost 5X more then an Ultra Dot but get the plain one, not the adjustable stuff like the Match Dot. Look at my avatar.
    You just don't know how much recoil a revolver generates.
    Look at ring spacing too, some things will not fit between rings.
    I have pulled the front glass from cheap red dots with the .44. Made in China with junk glue to hold glass, I had to steel bed it back in. Must get the thing in right too or the dot will be wrong. Bushnell and Millet. Never put a ring over glass either. Front ring should be against the turret, back is OK anywhere. With an Ultra Dot I put the front extension on tight with a rubber strap wrench and put the front ring on the extension with a BFR or Weigand. If I use 3 rings, one is against the turret for recoil. My .500 JRH has 3 rings. Ultra Dot rings work fine but if you need more, ask for another set.
    Been there, done that too many times.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jmorris View Post
    What are your going to be doing with it? There are reasons one would pick one over the other.
    Targets and small game.

What are the pro and cons?

I need a better focus than iron sights.
    It ain't rocket science, it's boolit science.

This is a fairly large dot on one of my Blackhawks' it's good for fast acquisition on close or large targets. The larger white targets are 8" in diameter about 65 yards away.

This one is a cmore with a smaller dot (they are the only one that I kno of where you can get extra diodes and change them from 2-16 MOA dot size.

This is a 1.5-4x set on 4x.

If I were trying to shoot the smallest groups/targets at distance I would pick the scope, quicker, larger or closer targets the dot is better.
    Last edited by jmorris; 12-06-2017 at 09:53 AM. Reason: Fixing what photobucket ruined

Boolit Master
    Good pix jmorris. Thank you.

Weig-a-tinny mount has arrived, so next step is D&T the top strap.

I'm picking up a drill press and cross slide vice in the next couple of days. That should make easy for that step.

Again, my main focus (PUN INTENDED!) is just that - focus. Iron sights are getting more difficult, especially rear aperture.

I'm still cogetating over type of sight to mount.

If you have never done it, it might be wise just to pay a smith to D&T for you. I have even paid a smith friend of mine to do it for me and I have everything to do it precisely like a mill and tapping heads.

Cheaper to just let him do it than buying all of the special (read oddball) taps used for the various gun screw thread pitches.

If you can't decide what type you want just get one of each and try them both, then sell the one you don't like or better yet get another handgun and have either when you want it.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by jmorris View Post
    This is a fairly large dot on one of my Blackhawks' it's good for fast acquisition on close or large targets. The larger white targets are 8" in diameter about 65 yards away.

This one is a cmore with a smaller dot (they are the only one that I kno of where you can get extra diodes and change them from 2-16 MOA dot size.

This is a 1.5-4x set on 4x.

If I were trying to shoot the smallest groups/targets at distance I would pick the scope, quicker, larger or closer targets the dot is better.
    Really appreciate those pictures.

Makes it obvious to me that I need a scope as opposed to the red dot.
    Fast is fine but accuracy is final.

I have a Leupold base & rings on my .357 Blackhawk . D&T 'd one hole. 4x Simmons has hung on with my Rossi lever action level loads. Might not be the best choice for .44 mag on up but works and looks good here. Best, Thomas.

Boolit Master
    Well, the Weigand mount is installed. I did it just like the video on their web site, and it is perfect.

New drill press and cross slide vice worked like a champ. Next is to decide on a glass for it...

Make a tough decision easy and just get one of each.

Boolit Master

FWIW here is my take on it. If you are going to be shooting off a rest the low powered scope is ok. Offhand shooting, unless you are a surgeon or someone with rock steady hands you'll never pull the trigger! Dot sights dance around enough without the 2-4x magnification of a scope. IMO a 4 min dot is a good all around size. Good luck which ever way you go.
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

Boolit Master
    I would like to drag this post out again just to see how the weig-a-tinny mount worked out for you sundog . I am considering putting a scope on a 6 inch g p 100 to use when trying different loads . I am experiencing trust issues with this revolver .

Boolit Master

I have a weigand base on a BFR with heavy 2-6 scope on it. The weigand base does interface with the rear sight slot as a recoil lug and has sides that are snug against the topstrap. However, even with the big recoil of the BFR, I have not had any issues with the heavy scope mounted to it. Not one, in fact.

When I get my next BFR (short frame), I'll be buying another from Weigand.

Dunno if the leupold is any good, or about other alternatives. But the Weigand product worked great for my BFR.

Boolit Master
    Thanks for the reply .

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12