Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionWideners
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scoping a Blackhawk

Boolit Master

Scoping a Blackhawk

New model, .357, 7 1/2 inch barrel, about 20 years old.

Which 1-piece mount? Wigand or Leupold? Why?

Any special needs or tips for D&T?

Any recommendations for a scope?

Use will be plinking and small game.
    It ain't rocket science, it's boolit science.

Boolit Master
    I have a B-Square no drill mount, just sitting on a shelf unused. Bought it, but lost interest in scoping my RBH. Good luck in your search.

Boolit Master
    My suggestion would be to buy CastingFool's unused mount, the B-Square. I had one on a SBH and it worked great. I'd put a red dot on the gun rather than a scope. I've owned dozens of handguns and I've scoped a bunch of them and put red dots on a lot of them. The red dot is a much better option for plinking, hunting small game, and deer hunting than a scope is. You can shoot very, very good groups with a red dot, there is no eye relief issues, and you never had the cross hairs black out by not having it directly in front of your eye. It has every advantage and no disadvantage on this type of handgun. FWIW, I've shot over fifty deer with a handgun and almost all of them were shot with a red dot. I quit using a scope on my handguns long ago due to the above mentioned issues. I've never had even one problem using a red dot.

I have the Weaver (48638) no drill mount too and it also has a cheap red dot on it. Never have gotten around to mounting a magnified optic on it yet.
    Last edited by jmorris; 12-02-2016 at 09:23 PM.

Boolit Master
    Okay. Keep it coming...

I drilled and tapped my own gun at home with nothing fancy for tools gun is stainless. I would go with the Weigand mount had the drill less mount was ok with a red dot. But with a .44 mag I wanted some better use red thread locket on mounting screws.as for a scope the Simmons scope pro hunter work not the highest price but has worked for me.

Boolit Buddy
    +1 for the b square. I have one on my .44 mag sbh and it is great. Sitting on it is a Simmons 2x scope that came with it. I have considered a red dot and may have to try one once some of my other projects are completed and payed for.

In Remembrance

I put a Weaver mount on a .45 LC Blackhawk 7 1/2" barrel model. A 2x scope was installed and zeroed. The thing that I discovered was the extra weight and how difficult it was to keep the dot/crosshairs on a target due to every pulse of my heart would keep the sight picture moving around. After 1 year of this I went back to iron sights and sold the scope and mounts.Robert

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardcast416taylor View Post
    I put a Weaver mount on a .45 LC Blackhawk 7 1/2" barrel model. A 2x scope was installed and zeroed. The thing that I discovered was the extra weight and how difficult it was to keep the dot/crosshairs on a target due to every pulse of my heart would keep the sight picture moving around. After 1 year of this I went back to iron sights and sold the scope and mounts.Robert
    If you'd tried a red dot on that mount you wouldn't have believed how much better it was. I was ready to go back to irons myself and put an AimPoint on the SBH. Just like looking at it with nothing there but the target/deer and a floating dot that was NOT moving around. Never went back.

Boolit Master
    Hmmm, a dot, instead of glass, eh?

Boolit Master
    Very happy with the Weigand mounts. I like a dot, and have been using a spare Aimpoint R1 on my GP100. I haven't tried the Ultradot, but hear great things about them.

Boolit Master

Weigand makes a new mini mount for the Ruger revolvers. It attaches to the rear sight's existing holes. It looks about perfect for a Burris Fastfire or similar optic. There is a video on YouTube showing how it installs.

http://www.jackweigand.com/Ruger-Rev...ini-Mount.html

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ickisrulz View Post
    Weigand makes a new mini mount for the Ruger revolvers. It attaches to the rear sight's existing holes. It looks about perfect for a Burris Fastfire or similar optic. There is a video on YouTube showing how it installs.

http://www.jackweigand.com/Ruger-Rev...ini-Mount.html
    I wish that had been out a couple years ago, I'd have left the front sight on mine!

Boolit Grand Master

That is nifty little mount. I had a Weaver clamp on mount on my Ruger SBH 3 screw in 44 mag. with a 2X Weaver scope on it. Mount stayed on even when shooting 310gr RFN Lee boolits at around 1,200 or so. I did try a Simmons red dot on it about 15 or more years ago and the battery case would end up in the dirt behind me. Happened twice then Simmons, which was part of a company that also owned Weaver asked if I wanted a scope instead. I had them send me a 2X which is fine for the 44 mag. and has not broken.
    A better red dot should work much better than a Simmons.

Perma-Banned

Quote Originally Posted by sundog View Post
    Killed my first handgun deer with a red dot mounted on a 10" Contender...that was almost 30yrs ago...1989.

Boolit Master
    Over the last year I have been putting reflex sights on my revolvers. For my old eyes and type of shooting I really like them and my off-hand accuracy is very good compared to shooting with iron sights and my old eyes. The compact reflex package is very nice compared with tube red dots or scopes.

The picture below shows a reflex sight mounted on my ancient (1959) Blackhawk 357. The mount fits snugly into the iron sight slot and is secured with the single screw hole for iron sight adjustment. I normally shoot light loads but I put 50 heavy 180 grain loads through it as a test of mount and sight integrity. Mount held fine with no Loctite and the sight maintained zero. This particular sight is a cheap green dot (Chinese copy of the Docter III). I also have Burris FastFire sights that work well.

ph4570

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ph4570 View Post
    Over the last year I have been putting reflex sights on my revolvers. For my old eyes and type of shooting I really like them and my off-hand accuracy is very good compared to shooting with iron sights and my old eyes. The compact reflex package is very nice compared with tube red dots or scopes.

The picture below shows a reflex sight mounted on my ancient (1959) Blackhawk 357. The mount fits snugly into the iron sight slot and is secured with the single screw hole for iron sight adjustment. I normally shoot light loads but I put 50 heavy 180 grain loads through it as a test of mount and sight integrity. Mount held fine with no Loctite and the sight maintained zero. This particular sight is a cheap green dot (Chinese copy of the Docter III). I also have Burris FastFire sights that work well.

i'm thinking of putting on a reflex sight on my super blackhawk(new one). what is your scope mount? i have an email into weigand and i have to do another to leopuld.

Boolit Master
    The mount pictured on the old Blackhawk is a custom critter of my design and CNC fabrication (Raptor Engineering). I have production models for S&W and Ruger double action revolvers. I cannot offer them for sale on this site as they are for sale on other venues. I do not yet have a design for the new model Blackhawk.
    ph4570

Boolit Master

I agree with mcdaniel.mac. I have a 6" GP-100 with the Weingard mount and it works fine. The Red dot is the way to go, would be nice to put an EoTech on, but that's another story lol
    Gun Control means hitting what you aim at!

Certified NRA Pistol Instructor
    Life Member of the NRA
    Life Member of the Disabled American Veterans Association

What are your going to be doing with it? There are reasons one would pick one over the other.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast