Inline FabricationRepackboxLoad DataReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading RotoMetals2

Thread: Nef/cva/tc 45-70

Nef/cva/tc 45-70

I'm looking at getting a single shot 45-70 in the near future, and was curious what the reviews on NEF and CVA's rifles are. I know TCs are the best break-barrel option, but that of course comes at a price. Is the TC worth the extra money, is CVA the best of two evils, or should I just snag a 45-70 handi?

Moderator Emeritus

I would not buy any that I could not examine in person. A lot of people like the Handi in Buffalo Classic and just as many don't. I like the Handi I have in 7.62x39 but have heard of bad reports from others. Gianni
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master
    I like my NEF in 45-70

Parkerized Frame and barrel cut to 16 3/4" sandblasted then perma blued. She talks a bit more then when it was a 22" gun. They shoot good either way. I had the 32" and it shot very good 1.5" at 100 for 5 shots with a scope.

It is now a great brush gun for bear/deer/hogs (if I ever get the chance)
    Doug
    .................................................. ........................................
    Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

Taxidermists are cheaper than surgeons....keep shooting

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Some people measure success in Minutes of Angle

I've never seen a CVA tip up single shot up close and personal so I have no opinion of them. I do own a H&R in .38-55, an Encore and several Contenders. The H&R was acquired second hand and I got a good price on it and so and happy with it. It Shoots accurately and my example has a decent trigger too. Others I've known with them have run from generally pleased to passionate devotee. I have heard of some problems but otherwise a good choice to those that need to be as frugal as possible. My personal preference would be for an Encore in .45-70 but then I like to experiment with other calibers. The Encore has a good interchangeable barrel system and several custom barrel and stock makes ready to support you more esoteric desires. You can get the Contender in .45-70 but in the lighter frame the recoil can seem brutal. This is my .405 Winchester Encore with a Bullberry stock set.

Evidently you have your heart set on a break-action rifle.

I would like to point out a few things:

1) NEF is no more (plant closed/workers gone), so if you want one - move fast. Various NEF's have different bore diameters - a consideration if you're gonna blast with cast.

2) A T/C, although a fine rifle, is considerably more $$, money better spent on a used Ruger #1 .45-70 - or a #3, if one can be found.

3) CVA has never had a good track record, for making/marketing what I'd call a quality arm. Inexpensive, yes - good, no.
    Last edited by pietro; 06-07-2008 at 11:30 AM. Reason: spelling

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by pietro View Post
    2) A T/C, although a fine rifle, is considerably more $$, money better spent on a used Ruger #1 .45-70 - or a #3, if one can be found.
    I gotta second that thought, I've got a Ruger #1 in 45/70 and love it. You do need to know that the Rugers have almost no throat so bullets with a full diameter section outside the case probably won't work.
    Reloading Data Project - (in retirement)
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/reloadersrfrnce/

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by pietro View Post
    1) NEF is no more (plant closed/workers gone), so if you want one - move fast. Various NEF's have different bore diameters - a consideration if you're gonna blast with cast.
    I don't think this has happened ......yet...I bought a nef 308 called about a 357 mag barrel to confirm some details* including where to ship the gun for the rebarreling* and turn around time ect ect...... the woman told me the barrel was in stock,,,,, and they were ahead of the quoted lead time.....and to keep shipping to them till other wize told too that was just a little over month ago.... as I got the rifle back about two weeks ago

Boolit Master
    Angus...NEF/H&R are still being made and will continue to be made but in a different location..
    http://www.go2gbo.com/forums/index.php?topic=142364.0

Another fairly new rifle on the market that you mght find interesting is the Knight KP-1
    http://www.knightrifles.com/
    http://search.live.com/results.aspx?...c=IE-SearchBox

I haven't seen the KP-1's yet but they look promising and the price is right, somewhere between the NEF/H&R and the Encore....
    Last edited by Nrut; 06-07-2008 at 02:40 PM.

I found a few reviews on the KP1, but see little mention of it on their site, and no 45-70s at all.

I reside fairly close to NEF's plant, and can tell you that the lay-off's have started.

I'm sure some employees will be kept until the bitter end in Dec, to move stock, if for nothing else - and under strict orders not to divulge anything, upon penalty of losing their parachute.

BTW - Another SS .45-70 option, Angus, is a roller.

Have you given any thought to one ?

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=101365367

http://www.gunsamerica.com/935517749...ck_sporter.htm
    Last edited by pietro; 06-08-2008 at 10:43 AM. Reason: spelling

I'm not really looking for an antique, or an antique knock-off. I like single shots for reliability and function. I also don't like the thoughts of spending much over $500.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Angus View Post
    I found a few reviews on the KP1, but see little mention of it on their site, and no 45-70s at all.
    Knight KP 1 cals. listed in link below...and yes they make it in a 45-70 ...I must admit Knight has a fairly crappy website...
    http://www.go2gbo.com/forums/index.php?topic=143884.0

All their barrels are interchangeable by the user ie. they don't have to be sent back to the factory to be fitted....
    Last edited by Nrut; 06-11-2008 at 12:58 AM.

Aha, it'd be nice if Knight talked about the 45-70 Wurfflein in their KP1 brochure. I've never handled a Knight rifle. Are their front stuffers any good?

I've got two 45/70s. One is a Marlin 1895 lever action and the other a Shiloh Sharps 45/70. Now the Shiloh Sharps is not cheap my any means but wow does it shoot. Not to mention it's a blast to shoot. I'm shooting .459 522 gr Lyman 457132 cast bullets and it groups great at so far up to 500 yards at 1233 FPS. I have yet to try it farther then that but I'm looking forward to it. If you can swing it the Shiloh or C-Sharps from Big Timber Montana are the best single shots you can get your hands on. Save your money on the inexpensive stuff and go for the gusto with a real 1874 Sharps.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Angus View Post
    Aha, it'd be nice if Knight talked about the 45-70 Wurfflein in their KP1 brochure. I've never handled a Knight rifle. Are their front stuffers any good?
    I have no experience with muzzle loaders...I do plan on getting one of their KP 1's when they become available here in Canada..