WidenersTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Load DataSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication Repackbox
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Talk Me Out Of A Large Caliber Rifle In The 375 H&H - 416 Rigby Range

Banned
    Simple. It's not a .50BMG.

Boolit Grand Master

I was somehow able to talk myself out of a Ruger Hawkeye in 375 Ruger awhile back when so many hit the used gun rack in like new condition. No idea how I did it, I even have a few 375 moulds. Even saw a few in .416 but couldn't get very excited about them. Since then I've acquired a Hawkeye in 35 Whelen, fine little rifle. If my wallet recovers by the time another Hawkeye in 375 crosses my path I won't be asking this bunch of enablers to talk me out of it, I'll be looking for brass & dies. A #1 in 375 H&H sounds like a good time as well.....someday.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    I don't have any surplus dies to help you guys out .
    Attachment 178496
    I'm keeping the 7-30 , and 458 but the others are available. I have a 2 die 338 also .

Me ? I've become a 45 light junky . It all started so innocently with a companion rifle ........ Now there's a Mauser off to get for fitted for 45 Raptor . It's a rimless 460 S&W . 141-535 gr of 45 cal goodness . The 308, x57,06' donor brass is good for all the abuse I'll ever need. The 458 dies should be the perfect neck dies.
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Master
    If you're determined to buy one, buy a .375 H&H. The cartridge has been around for nearly 100 years, and I don't expect brass or factory ammo to become unobtanium anytime soon. I have owned both a .416 Rigby and a .416 Remington (which Remington has since abandoned, as they are prone to do with new cartridges). At the time, 100 pieces of Remington brass cost less than 25 pieces of Rigby brass. Now, you can't even find Remington brass.

Jacketed bullets for the .416 cartridge are extremely expensive, so unless you're going to shoot strictly cast through it, it will get expensive, and fast!

I personally wouldn't consider the .375 Ruger because I expect it to disappear just like so many new cartridges have done in the past 20-25 years. Ask all the guys who rushed out and bought rifles chambered for the WSSM cartridges what they do for brass (or factory ammo) now.

Fun guns? Yes, they can be. Practical? Not so much. JMHO, and worth every penny that you paid for it.
    Last edited by nicholst55; 10-10-2016 at 09:28 PM.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Boolit Master
    Jack O"conner hunted brown bears with a 375 H&H. Elmer Kieth recommended a 375 H&H for elk. Lots of places say 375 H&H is the minimum for animals that can readily kill you. Why wouldn't you buy one?

Boolit Buddy

Enough talk, make a choice and use it!

Can't do it as I live I Mi and our biggest game is a very small elk herd. I have a 458AccRel( 458Lott size case). So far it has been used on a few whitetails, and one pig but am thinking it is going on my upcoming bear hunt!

Boolit Master

I remember reading about a "12 Gauge From Hell" project awhile back. There were various firearms he used, but one of them was the H&R 12-gauge "Ultra Slug" (rifled barrel). From a pure kinetic energy and shoulder punishment standpoint, I think it will put any of those you have suggested to shame. I don't think it was quite .50BMG energy, but it was real close.

Boolit Grand Master

375 H&H gets my vote. Has such a rich history and can be loaded from mild to wild. I imagine it's one of the more common calibers (of the African calibers) if looking for a used gun. Brass will always be available and can find used brass here from time to time.

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    And there is a set of dies for sale right now .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Master
    Hey I have just 5 loaded cartridges of the famed 3" 500 Nitro Express loaded with 570gr. Woodleigh copper solids laying around. Maybe someday I'll be something that shoots them...
    ~ Chris

Casting, reloading, shooting, collecting, restoring, smithing, etc, I love it all but most importantly, God, Family, The United States Constitution and Freedom...

God Bless our Troops, Veterans and First Responders!

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas
    Accuracy, Power & Speed

In Remembrance

Since it sounds like you want a `factory` rifle that is ready to go I won`t bore you with the virtues of the .416 Taylor that other shooters like Chuckbuster and others already know about.

I found the Speer 350 JSP to be both economical to purchase and very accurate as well as lethal for about anything in N.America.Robert

Cheshire Oregon-Near Eugene about 60 miles from Pacific coast
    Don't over look the Ruger No 1 in 9.3x74. They make them on the medium sporter and are much lighter and handier then the No.1 in .375. Both great calibers but I think the long lean 9.3 looks even cooler. Use a .375 round ball for no recoil plinking, a 200gr. paper patch to copy the 35 remington or the 280gr, NOE cast to give 9.3x57 power level. Go all the way with 286 jacketed to just shy of .375 power level in a 7 1/2 pound rifle.
    A No.1 in 450/400 would be very nice too. Damn to many toys and not enough money.

Boolit Master
    Get the 375 H&H and be happy. Larger caliber boolits are much easier to cast. My FN Mauser custom 375 is an improved version, and at 10lbs is easy on the shoulder at the bench.

Boolit Master

Outback Queensland, North of the Tropic of Capricorn
    You have been given some good advice, so now here is mine. I say START with the .375H&H, then move on to the .416. After that you could try a .458 (Win Mag or Lott).

Jut my thoughts, anyway.
    WHEN IN DOUBT, USE MORE CLOUT!

Boolit Master

I think I might have a source for some spent 20mm cartridges if you are really wanting to punish your shoulder.

Go big, or go home...

20mm on the left, .50BMG on the right:

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    Now THAT'S going big.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Boolit Master
    Had a 375 H&H in a M70 Winchester. Great fun to shoot. The 235 gr Speer bullet with a minimum charge is very accurate and wont kill your shoulder. This particular rifle fit me and standing it was not bad on the shoulder with any load. Fit becomes very important with the heavies. When shooting from the bench, use a high enough rest to keep your back straight up. A standing rest is better.

Long eye relief is needed in a scope. I would use a scout scope.

If I could afford it, I would look for a CZ550 in 375 H&H. Cast boolit loads will be fun.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheshire Dave View Post
    Don't over look the Ruger No 1 in 9.3x74. They make them on the medium sporter and are much lighter and handier then the No.1 in .375. Both great calibers but I think the long lean 9.3 looks even cooler. Use a .375 round ball for no recoil plinking, a 200gr. paper patch to copy the 35 remington or the 280gr, NOE cast to give 9.3x57 power level. Go all the way with 286 jacketed to just shy of .375 power level in a 7 1/2 pound rifle.
    A No.1 in 450/400 would be very nice too. Damn to many toys and not enough money.
    I bought one of the 450/400 NE #1's earlier this year. It hasn't made it to the range yet, brass and dies were expensive so I haven't bought a mould yet. But I did break down and buy some 300gr 405 Win bullets the other day, should be here next week. I'll break it in with the 300gr bullets before I decide if I want a 400gr mould.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

It's a great cartridge for cast boolits and wild pigs. A 250-275 grain boolit at 1800-2000 fps won't break the shoulder or the bank but will be plenty for hog control. If it will take hogs, it will take pretty much anything short of bear. You can always go full house for bear, caribou, moose and anything else dangerous.

David
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast