Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
RepackboxWidenersLoad DataInline Fabrication
Reloading Everything

View Poll Results: Do you lube or powder coat the cast boolits?

Voters
775. You may not vote on this poll
  • Lube

457 58.97%
  • Powder Coat

350 45.16%
  • Other

61 7.87%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you lube or powder coat the cast boolits?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ascast View Post
    I am curious how 61.54%, 50% and 11.54% add up to 100% is that new math? I lube, but would be interested in coating if hyper velocity can be had.
    you can select multiple answers

my only complaint against alox/traditional lube is the build up in my seating die.

edit: my free hand hold isn't steady enough to see a difference in pc vs lube.
    My feedback page if you feel inclined to add:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

Thanks Yall!

Perma-Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Preacher Jim View Post
    In tests with my ransom rest the powder coat lacked a slight amount on accuracy. For the normal shooter it would not matter. It was enough that I will stay with my squeeze and grease.
    I will say the powder coat Bullets averaged 3.78 faster than lube. If I had guns that leaded I think powder coat would help with clean up. Now the P C people will debate but the same barrel same brass same components was used in the tests.
    No debate here...my guns are different...powder coat is more accurate in mine.

But, either way, there is not enough difference to make any difference unless shooting off the bench. Off-hand shooting, no way to tell the difference.

Boolit Master

You're missing a response category...how 'bout 'BOTH'? I haven't been doing PC for very long but have pretty much converted for all my handgun boolits BUT, for now, I'm still shooting CF rifle rounds sized/lubed the old-fashioned way. Reason: I've got a better'n fair quantity of good, accurate rifle ammo and ready-to-load boolits on hand. When I get to the point where I need to cast again for the rifle calibers, I'll probably have a go at PC load development for one of my 'easy' calibers...but without seeing some kind of substantial gain, I don't see myself committing too much time to reinventing the wheel.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Don Fischer View Post
    I've been doing PC, tumble lube and lube-sizer. I use my lube-sizer on bullet's from molds with the lube groves, that's just the 38 and 32L. My 9mm, 308 bullet's are from Lee molds and mostly I tumble lube them. Tried PC a few time's and most the bullet's came out nice but seem's time consuming to me. But is nice to handle such clean bullet's, no lube to touch. As far as the gun's staying clean, I haven't seen an advantage to either way. but thinking about upping the velocity some with the 308 bullet's and guess i'll find out if tumble lube keep's on keeping on. On the subject of PCing, I had to go to the hospital last weekend and get my thumb sewed up. They had what looked like a pair of tweezers bu they had point's built into the ends. They gave me a set and i tried picking up some bullet's with then and they are beautiful. i can see no more powder missing where I picked up the bullet's with reg tweezers. have no idea what they are called.
    Rat tooth graspers or rat tooth forceps. Wife is a scrub-tech working on a rn. And they do work great.
    "In God we trust, in all others, check the manual!"

Boolit Mold
    Pc works for me, I like how much cleaner my gun's stay.

I pc my higher velocity handgun boolits but for plinking rounds 45-45-10 works and is faster and easier to apply than pc.

I will admit, powder coating would be a good thing to know. So is sizing and lubing in a lube/sizer. Pan lubing has it's place also.

However, I've got more reloading 'stuff' than I can say grace over as is. Lord help me if I discovered something else to toss on the pile. That being said, after 30+ years of lube sizing, I don't see myself changing anytime soon. Not that I won't, but I don't see good old fashion lube sizing ever going away.

Murphy
    If I should depart this life while defending those who cannot defend themselves, then I have died the most honorable of deaths. Marc R. Murphy '2006'.

I don't use straight alox for tumble lube, I use 45/45/10 and looking at trying BLL with Johnson Liquid wax. The purpose of mixing the alox in these other recipes is to get something that is as effective as a lube without the sticky surface and long drying time.

There is this source for pre-made 45/45/10 and the owner is good people from all reports.
    http://lsstuff.com/store/index.php?m...=index&cPath=2
    The page also has bulk xlox (Alox from Lee but without the name infringement) but in larger sizes for good prices.

Worth looking over there web site since they make good assortment of lubes, some being similar to the homemade recipes that are well established here as being good but without you having to do the home cooking. http://www.lsstuff.com/home

There is a lot of difference in the results on the bullet between straight Alox and 45/45/10 when used as tumble lube. Both do smoke maybe a bit but if it bothers you fire off a cylinder of cap and ball first and then even Alox will seem minor smoke in comparison. Really not bad at all as far as I'm concerned.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Master
    I have powder coated and now Hi-Tek hand gun loads. Still working on rifle boolits and until then nothing to replace a good old homemade traditional lube for what I am doing there. I may be getting close though with the rifle boolits using Hi-Tek

Since I started using Star lube/sizer I find sizing and lubing the easiest and fastest way to do both operations in the same time.
    I tried PC and shake and bake is not that fast. Arranging the bullets on the tray one by one is kinda slow. But the slowest and most annoying at shake and bake is removing the coated bullets from the aluminium foil. Holly guacamole, takes forever to remove 100 bullets without having leftovers foil on the bullet bottom. That's what I call a chore.

Boolit Grand Master

Lubing for me. I follow the PC accuracy threads. At this point it's to much work w/ little to no results. White Label makes great lubes so I don't have to chase a magic lube. It takes very little work to find an accurate load w/ conventional lube. And BLL is making things even easier.

Boolit Buddy
    I voted other as most of mine get coated with HItek, still tumble lube a few pistol bullets that are used in light loads and shot as cast but even my black powder rifle bullets get HiTek and then run through the lube sizer to fill the groves.

Boolit Master
    I lube most on a magma lubesizer , but tumble lube with Bill for unsized wad cutters is fast , powered some to . I'm in the lube size camp but with options , and it's a good place to be .

Boolit Master

"Do I lube or powder coat?"

Why yes I do!
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

Boolit Master
    Nice to see you out and about Hickok .

Boolit Master
    I do both but pc more. If I want to go faster (over 2000 fps) I lube(PC also) and use Simple Lube. For some reason that lube(on PC) works for me at higher speeds, 1800 and above. I used to use Bens Red but Simple Lube won my affection in the long run.
    Look twice, shoot once.

Super Moderator

I use lube only, mainly white label. It gives me great results now, no reason for me to switch.

Boolit Bub
    I'm a newer caster and almost quit because LLA was too messy/sticky and pan lubing was too slow for me. I got a lyman 450 luber and it's just right.

I only load 45 acp and I think you could just spit on it and not get leading.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Ghost View Post
    I'm a newer caster and almost quit because LLA was too messy/sticky and pan lubing was too slow for me. I got a lyman 450 luber and it's just right.

I only load 45 acp and I think you could just spit on it and not get leading.
    Yes you could but it helps to rinse your mouth with LLA first!

Boolit Grand Master

Yes, me too...

Hmmm. I wonder if the OP has seen the Coatings and Alternatives sub-forum? It dates back at least 3 years...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast