MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRepackboxWideners
Load DataRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingReloading Everything
Inline Fabrication

View Poll Results: Do you lube or powder coat the cast boolits?

Voters
775. You may not vote on this poll
  • Lube

457 58.97%
  • Powder Coat

350 45.16%
  • Other

61 7.87%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Do you lube or powder coat the cast boolits?

Boolit Bub
    I powder coat all of my cast bullets. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20191021_170917.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	62.0 KB 
ID:	250000Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20191021_170908.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	66.6 KB 
ID:	250001Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20191021_170900.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	78.6 KB 
ID:	250002

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Banned

I started out lubing my cast bullets, then I discovered powder coating, tried it and liked it. I now keep my bullet lube for back up and powder coat all of my cast bullets.

Boolit Master
    Lube
    I can't see any real advantage to pc.
    Happy with the lubes.

Boolit Master
    Powder coating or lubing. Seems like a personal choice to me. I do both depending on the way my mind is working at the time. Does it help accuracy? Does it help prevent "leading"? Is it a tad cleaner? Is it cleaner processing the bullets? On these things I dont truly know and dont actually let it worry me. The only thing I do know is that on an indoor range there is less smoke when shooting cast that are PC'ed instead of lubed. Enough so I will load PC'ed bullets to take when I go shooting on a cold wind howling day at an indoor range. I have shot lubed cast and PC'ed bullets on an indoor range and do know that the PC'ed bullets create less smoke. That is what I do know. Today if I go shooting I will shoot both but will be on an outdoor range. I dont expect the coated bullets to make me a better shot than the lubed or vise versa. I used some of each just for the sake of doing it.
    Everyone just have fun shooting. Dont worry about what the other person is doing. The goal is to have fun and to get away from the aggravations of life. What else is a hobby for? If PC'ing your bullets gives you something to do and think about to free your mind do it. If it works helping do that what differnce does it make whether it works good, better or best in the world of shooting? Just the therapy it provides is reason enough.
    Just my half a cent worth of ideas.
    I have to be careful what I say nowadays as the Moderator has been on me. Dont want to have anymore problems.
    Thanks for reading my mental wanderings. If you choose to.

Quote Originally Posted by Alferd Packer View Post
    Lube
    I can't see any real advantage to pc.
    Happy with the lubes.
    SO you don't see less smoke & crud a real benefit? That is what sold me on coatings was far less smoke & crud in my guns.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Grand Master

This poll shows something very interesting ....
    As great and wonderful as powder coating is ....the poll shows lube is still the winning way .
    60% still use the old lube sizer ? That can't be right... I thought myself and one or two other old Ammosaurus - Rex's would be the only ones still doing it the unenlightened way ...Wow , 384 A-Rex's are out there... that's Amazing !!!
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master

I'm sort of on the fence. I have some of Smoke's powder and airsoft BB's but have not jumped in yet. I have 3 lubesizers, one each Lyman 450, RCBS LamII, and Saeco. Don't ask why all 3. Just curious about how they work, I guess. I've even gotten to the point where any new mold I acquire, I get plain base instead of gas check. Somebody is going to get a windfall of gas checks someday if my sons continue to be completely uninterested in casting. OH! BTW, I didn't vote.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Mold
    I powder coat 9mm (I shoot thousands of these monthly) but will be lubing my 45-70.
    What I do find odd is how few mould makers produce No Lube Groove (NLG) moulds. Seems to me that if 44% of casters are powder coating, the mould makers would be jumping on that market.

Boolit Master
    I powder coat but also lube powder coated bullets as well for black powder. Works for me.

I tumble lubed when I was more interested in noises and blasting randomly. When I became more considerate I want to the lubamatic. Still can't see a reason to go to pc. The lubamatic sizes, lubes, and seats a check in one go. I can bang out a couple hundred in an hour. My 9 year old can too. I bought my lubamatic for 90 bucks like new used on ebay. Every pc evangelist says it's cheap an easy...then you find out they have an extra oven, a pile of painting crap from harbor freight, routinely have to size anyway, and often affect hardness of the bullet through heat. I shoot a lot of cast HPs now, and have become sensitive to the matter of harness no only to prevent leading but to modulate expansion.

Boolit Grand Master
    Lube.
    Going to try the powder coat though.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

The people's republic of Commifornia, in Somerset
    I prefer powder coat, but I have only tried powder coat and Alox. Didn't like the Alox. I have only been casting a few years, and almost bought a lubrisizer, but ended up settling on PC and lee push through sizers.
    I have pre-ordered the APP press and plan to use the new lee bushing sizers along with powder coat.
    I'm not opposed to lube, I'm just not set up to do it. If I see a deal on lubrisizer and sizing dies, I will pick it up and try.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

For hunting I tumble cast rifle bullets 3x in Ben's Liquid Lube. Every thing else gets powder coated. Hitek works but I have not got into it heavily.

Boolit Bub
    I'm making the switch from PC to lube in 9mm

Boolit Buddy
    after years of lubing bullets i went to powder coating and i like it much better. might take a little longer to do but worth all the extry time.

Boolit Buddy

I shot lubed and TL'd bullets for years and got sick and tired of the mess, smoke and leaded barrels. whoever discovered powder coating is a frickin genius!! Does anyone know who first used PC?

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigjake View Post
    I shot lubed and TL'd bullets for years and got sick and tired of the mess, smoke and leaded barrels. whoever discovered powder coating is a frickin genius!! Does anyone know who first used PC?
    I believe it started in Australia.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    I believe it started in Australia.
    The Hi-Tek coating started in Australia, it is a totally different product made for bullet coating. PC was made for coating lawn furniture.

Boolit Buddy
    I would think you should put an option of "Both", other just don't cover doing both as it implies something besides the first two options.
    CF
    Vote Independent, vote Republican, vote Democratic, just don’t vote Incumbent!
    I believe in the Bible, Freedom, the Constitution, the Bill of Rights and personal responsibility. My government believes I am narrow minded, intolerant and dangerous.

Boolit Buddy
    At this point, I wouldn’t trust the results of this very old poll. Better to start a new one to see what the current state is.

Quote Originally Posted by Chihuahua Floyd View Post
    I would think you should put an option of "Both", other just don't cover doing both as it implies something besides the first two options.
    CF
    Last edited by djryan13; 03-28-2020 at 10:11 AM.

Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314151617 LastLast