Reloading EverythingInline FabricationTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Load DataRotoMetals2RepackboxWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply Snyders Jerky

View Poll Results: Do you lube or powder coat the cast boolits?

Voters
775. You may not vote on this poll
  • Lube

457 58.97%
  • Powder Coat

350 45.16%
  • Other

61 7.87%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Do you lube or powder coat the cast boolits?

I mostly lube but have been PC'ing my 405PB bullets for a long time

Tried 9mm today Maybe its just that I forgot to keep my hands off the bullets that I wanted to PC but it either clumps or doesnt stick.. Im really tired of the shake and bake way of PC'ing, I think I will get a PC machine and try that.

Boolit Buddy
    I do mainly PC.
    I do use my tumble lube as flux and PC plus,
    LoL

Boolit Mold
    I've P.C.'d for years, but recently "edumacting" myself on the ancient ways of the traditional Lube! I want to be able to do all methods somewhat coherently.

Both,PC for gas guns and 357 mag blackhawk.
    Big bore revolvers,leverguns and 1885 45-70 falling block get Lar's Carnuba red or 2500+ lube.
    Anything suppressed gets PC.
    This works well for me.
    Last edited by 45r; 09-23-2020 at 02:10 PM.

Powder coat, if I had to lube I would not cast.
    I hate lube and or messing with the crap.

RP

Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care".

Boolit Master
    rifle is mostly PC ....handgun is mostly lube

Boolit Master
    I lube. I avoid loading dirty powders, I lube with FWFL, and I like the smoke… so PC doesn’t give me a cleanliness advantage. I’ll try PC when I get back into heavy shooting of my .357SIG (short neck means lube groove is in the powder), but I’m having too much fun with revolvers right now. I will need a good reason to put lipstick on my boolits, and so far I don’t have one.
    I could be wrong - it happens at least daily.

Boolit Master
    I started casting in 1978 and am set up for lubing with all the tooling and sizers I'll likely ever need so not really interested in powder coating much. The only way I could see trying it is to maybe get higher velocity in a rifle than I might be able to get with lubed bullets. So far have had real good luck with standard lubed bullets in 35 Remington and 7.62x39 with full power loads and heavy for caliber bullets. Pretty good results with the little testing I've done in 30-30 with lubed bullets. For all my revolver shooting I actually prefer the smoke of lubed bullets! But then I do all my shooting outdoors on my own land.
    Last edited by 35 Rem; 04-21-2022 at 02:05 AM.

I have a Magma Star lube/sizer, but have only done .309 150gr gas checked bullets for my 30-06 with it. Then I used Lee Liquid Alox to lube my pistol (9mm and .45) , and it works great. It leaves a residue in the barrel but is easy to clean.
    I tried powder coating and now I am completely hooked on it. My barrels hardly ever need cleaning, but old habits say to run a Hoppe's #9 soaked brush down them and then patches till clean. (I just can't not do it.)
    My Star lube/sizer sits on the back of the work table all ready to go with heated base, and I am pretty sure it will remain there, (Just in Case).
    A toaster oven and a few metal baskets, and powder and you are all set. What could be simpler?
    I love this hobby!!

Boolit Master
    I use both but primarily a Star sizer and FWFL, no heater needed. Tall 22cal boolits are difficult to keep standing while moving to the oven. The Star is simpler to me. PC requires coating, stacking on trays, baking, and then sizing. The Star only requires sizing.

I am not a volume shooter by most people’s standards. I was a Recluse 45/45/10 lube user. I have converted to powder coating for cleaner dies and less smoke at indoor ranges. I also like the appearance of my powder coated boolits. Powder coating made the notoriously known to be under size Lee 230gr 30 caliber bullet usable. It increased the diameter enough to allow it to be properly sized for great 100yd accuracy in 300BO.

Boolit Bub
    Been wanting to try PC......I've been lube only for years. Hard to change!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Velosa View Post
    Been wanting to try PC......I've been lube only for years. Hard to change!

Same here ... old dog , paid for a Lyman 450 in 1968 or 1969 . Discovered Lithi-Bee Lubricant and too old and too set in my ways to change now .

Velosa Gary
    Here's to Us ....We just got to keep on keeping on !

Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Both, started with home made bees wax based lube in the 60s, went to LBT lubes, then started PCing. Just depends on the bullets and gun I am using, really. I normally use the same alloy, unless I go back to the muzzle loaders, with hollow base conical bullets, then it is pure lead.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

lmho - i do not like the looks of painted bullets + price + time involved in doing it - see no practical reason to change from lubing after many decades -
    never pick a fight with an old man - if he is too old to fight he will just kill you -
    in this current crisis our government is not the solution , it is the problem ! -

ILLEGITIMI NON CARBORUNDUM

as they say in latin

Quote Originally Posted by schutzen-jager View Post
    lmho - i do not like the looks of painted bullets + price + time involved in doing it - see no practical reason to change from lubing after many decades -
    Price? Time involved? I can PC 500 bullets and size them way faster than lubed bullets. As for cost, the toaster oven is really the only expense besides the powder coats paint. I totally get that it's not for everyone and that's cool. For someone just starting out setting up to PC is far cheaper than buying a lubesizer.
    As for looks? I PC with clear paint. They still looks the part. Just my two cents.
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7

Quote Originally Posted by waco View Post
    Price? Time involved? I can PC 500 bullets and size them way faster than lubed bullets. As for cost, the toaster oven is really the only expense besides the powder coats paint. I totally get that it's not for everyone and that's cool. For someone just starting out setting up to PC is far cheaper than buying a lubesizer.
    As for looks? I PC with clear paint. They still looks the part. Just my two cents.
    no way is it faster or cheaper than Lee alox - subject was lubing , lubing sizing is a very different process -
    never pick a fight with an old man - if he is too old to fight he will just kill you -
    in this current crisis our government is not the solution , it is the problem ! -

ILLEGITIMI NON CARBORUNDUM

as they say in latin

Boolit Master
    lee tumble lube for me .nice easy job no special tools needed and good results.

I carried my 38-55 hunting yesterday with two rounds LLA and 4 rounds PC in the magazine
    So it looks like I use both.
    Must have been good luck- now I only have one LLA round left

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Yes, but mostly PC for speed with accuracy. I can get 2,500-2,600 a .3" groups at 100 in rifles with the PC without heat treating or standing on my head and spinning around three times.
    The grandkids get cast and lubed plain base for their need to just go bang fast. Too many movies, that.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151617 LastLast