RepackboxInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2WidenersLoad Data
Titan Reloading

View Poll Results: Do you lube or powder coat the cast boolits?

Voters
775. You may not vote on this poll
  • Lube

457 58.97%
  • Powder Coat

350 45.16%
  • Other

61 7.87%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 17 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you lube or powder coat the cast boolits?

Do you lube or powder coat the cast boolits?

Online it seeming like powder coating is to becoming very popular thing with cast boolits. So, do you lube or powder coat your bullets?

Boolit Master
    I've been lubing for 40 yrs, and I'm not changing my ways now. I like the looks of a properly filled out lead bullet, sized and lubed. I don't like the looks of a painted bullet.

Boolit Buddy
    Powder coat has been cheap and easy. Guns clean up spotless, to date.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	650 
Size:	97.6 KB 
ID:	178284
    Last edited by Eddie17; 10-06-2016 at 05:06 PM. Reason: Try to add picture

Boolit Master

I seem to shoot about everyday and always have ammo available. This is without using a progressive press or lube/sizing machine. I pan lube, dip lube and tumble lube. For me, it is cheap and fast, but not always neat.

Boolit Grand Master

I an lube and shoot as cast. But I also only am casting for BPCR rifles currently. On some low use bullets I hand lube filling the grooves with SPG and my thumb / finger also.

Super Moderator Emeritus
    In tests with my ransom rest the powder coat lacked a slight amount on accuracy. For the normal shooter it would not matter. It was enough that I will stay with my squeeze and grease.
    I will say the powder coat Bullets averaged 3.78 faster than lube. If I had guns that leaded I think powder coat would help with clean up. Now the P C people will debate but the same barrel same brass same components was used in the tests.

Banned

lube.
    and I don't clean my cast boolit barrels so who cares if p/c is super clean[er?] I wouldn't know the difference.

Perma-Banned

Powder coat, only...now...but I used conventional lube for YEARS...TOO long.

Super Moderator Emeritus
    Five not every body shoots smooth bore��

Boolit Man
    For me the low cost barrier and cleanliness of shake and bake powder coating was a key factor when I first started casting. Although one day I will buy a lubrisizer to play around with.

Boolit Master

I see the advantages to powder coating; but after 40 years of sizing and lubing boolits, I'm pretty happy with the procedure and I've enjoyed stellar results from the beginning. I'll stay with what I know, but I appreciate other technologies as well.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Boolit Master
    Still one that sizes and lubes because I see no need to become dependent on a source for powder coating. Not saying I will not try it at some point, but have not found the need yet.

Boolit Master
    don't own a lubrisizer so...tumble lube, pc, and hitek for me
    My feedback page if you feel inclined to add:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

Thanks Yall!

I went with PC and Other since tumble lube was not mentioned and is different than filling the lube grooves with slickem.

There are some places where PC seems to be the right choice, getting good result in an auto loader in .223 is one place. 7.62 x 39 Russian seems like another. In magnum pistol it might make a difference. By allowing softer lead at higher velocities might provide better expansion in a particular cast bullet. Not required for 30 caliber bolt rifles but also works well with minimum equipment up front.

Tumble lube allows one to decide tonight that they want to load up a few hundred pistol bullets tomorrow and for 10 minute time investment the little lead pills are ready to load the next day.

Tumble and shake and bake PC allow for wide range of calibers, wide range of velocities with very little up front expense. With PC picking up where TL falls short. One of these days I might look into some sort of lube press. But it is way down on the list, more of a "if I happen to find one cheap" than I am actively looking. I may try pan or dip lubing with one of the stick lubes just because it don't cost much to play with and winter is coming so more time to dink around.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Buddy
    I PC exclusively. I like the cleanliness of it and the lack of leading. My faster and long range rifles still get a steady diet of jacketed.
    'The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.
    Daniel J. Boorstin

The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.
    Albert Einstein

Eastwoods basic gun is on sale for 59.99 right now. I've used mine for a year and a half with no problems. Gp

Boolit Master

I am curious how 61.54%, 50% and 11.54% add up to 100% is that new math? I lube, but would be interested in coating if hyper velocity can be had.

Boolit Buddy
    I've been doing PC, tumble lube and lube-sizer. I use my lube-sizer on bullet's from molds with the lube groves, that's just the 38 and 32L. My 9mm, 308 bullet's are from Lee molds and mostly I tumble lube them. Tried PC a few time's and most the bullet's came out nice but seem's time consuming to me. But is nice to handle such clean bullet's, no lube to touch. As far as the gun's staying clean, I haven't seen an advantage to either way. but thinking about upping the velocity some with the 308 bullet's and guess i'll find out if tumble lube keep's on keeping on. On the subject of PCing, I had to go to the hospital last weekend and get my thumb sewed up. They had what looked like a pair of tweezers bu they had point's built into the ends. They gave me a set and i tried picking up some bullet's with then and they are beautiful. i can see no more powder missing where I picked up the bullet's with reg tweezers. have no idea what they are called.

I haven't been casting for very long. I started with tumble lube at first. Now that my uncle gave me his Star sizer I have started to use that. I am just starting to dabble with the pc. Haven't made up my mind yet as to what I will settle into.

Boolit Master
    Not even my math is that bad to get those totals

I more or less use the shake and bake method with a non stick coating. I used lee alox years ago, i didn't like the sticky projectiles and the smoke, but it worked just fine. I went for the polymer coating and haven't looked back.

I only shoot pistol, it works great for me, no idea how effective it is on rifle speeds.

Page 1 of 17 1234567891011 ... LastLast