Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingRepackboxLoad DataSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters Supply Wideners

View Poll Results: Do you lube or powder coat the cast boolits?

Voters
775. You may not vote on this poll
  • Lube

457 58.97%
  • Powder Coat

350 45.16%
  • Other

61 7.87%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Do you lube or powder coat the cast boolits?

Boolit Buddy
    Tumble lube with diluted Lee Alox and when dry add a little mica powder and shake till well distributed.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    This poll shows something very interesting ....
    As great and wonderful as powder coating is ....the poll shows lube is still the winning way .
    60% still use the old lube sizer ? That can't be right... I thought myself and one or two other old Ammosaurus - Rex's would be the only ones still doing it the unenlightened way ...Wow , 384 A-Rex's are out there... that's Amazing !!!
    Gary
    Statistics can be interpreted in many ways. Although the poll shows a 60% in favor of lubing, you need to take into account of what the trend line looks like. Lube has been around for decades and PC has just entered the scene like, what, 6-7 years ago? Within 6-7 years, PC took over 40% of the market.

I wouldn't consider lube "winning," but rather losing ground in a very rapid fashion.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Atakawow View Post
    Statistics can be interpreted in many ways. Although the poll shows a 60% in favor of lubing, you need to take into account of what the trend line looks like. Lube has been around for decades and PC has just entered the scene like, what, 6-7 years ago? Within 6-7 years, PC took over 40% of the market.

I wouldn't consider lube "winning," but rather losing ground in a very rapid fashion.
    See my post from a day or so ago. This poll is super old. Many of the responses are dated. Nothing to see here. Start a new thread. Don’t look at old data.

I would guess most coat now... and it really needs to have an option for hitek.

Boolit Master
    Yes, it needs to have an option for Hi-Tek.

Have done both, PC is cleaner and can store with no mess from lube, will be selling my rcbs lubisizer

I started with tumbling with Alox and push through sizing... then upgraded to a RCBS lubrisizer, a bunch of top punches/sizing dies and about every lube under the sun...

Last year, after struggling with a 45-70 rifle that would horribly lead the bore no matter what size, alloy or lube I used, I decided to give powder coating a shot.

It wasn't a week or two later I sold all my sizing/lube equipment and only powder coat now. It's silly quick/easy, never leads, doesn't muck up your loading dies and overall, results in a MUCH easier to clean gun after a long day at the range. Completely sold on it!

clemje,

I am in the same boat, I gave my Star and dies away, threw the bin with all the wax and nonsense into the trash and never looked back. I started with the 45-70 as well as I could never get the bore clean no matter what wax, what size or powder. My first shot at PC was with copier toner then HF black, both are crap BUT they didn't leave any lead in the bore. Hmmmmm, dropped a dime on Eastwood then Smokes (both are excellent) and never looked back.

I honestly dont know why anybody would stay with wax, stubborn resistance is the only reason I could even imagine.

Boolit Grand Master

Do you lube or powder coat the cast boolits?

Nothing has changed for me

Technically the fourth one is refurbished and painted. Also have a Star that is used more often than the RCBS sizers. Use a lot of BLL since it plain works.

Time is more valuable to me than anything else. Coatings take to much time. I liken it to cleaning brass w/ stainless media. It works, but takes to much time and there is no positive effect on target.

Boolit Mold
    I started with the lube tried PC and that's what I'm using exclusively now. I just started copper plating. The jury is still out on that right now with all this virus stuff going around and the ranges closed I haven't been able to test anything. I'm still experimenting with immersion times.
    USN (ret)

Boolit Master

Do you lube or powder coat the cast boolits?

I pan lube or tumble lube with 45-45-10. Usually both. I don't imagine changing, works for me.
    Last edited by Boolseye; 04-16-2020 at 06:19 PM.

Boolit Man
    I lube mine with a Star sizer, from the San Diego era.

Banned

Lube.......of course!!!

Boolit Grand Master

I've been watching this poll for a while and find it interesting that 59.86% of casters still lube with coventional boolit lubricant ... that's almost 60%. I was under the impression everyone but myself and two other members had not jumped on the latest powder coating thing...supposed to be so much better.
    Then I realized why I don't trust polls ....look at the numbers :
    59.86% + 44.32% = 104.18% then add + 8.20% = 112.38% ... That just ain't right !
    Some folks is voting twice because the numbers should add up to 100% not 112.38% ,
    I don't care what you say...you can never have more than 100% except in a political poll ,
    and that's the reason you can't trust polls .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by PhatForrest View Post
    I lube mine with a Star sizer, from the San Diego era.
    What era was the " San Diego Era" ?
    Certified Cajun
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Both. One is great for quick tumble lube to crank out some plinking loads. Or stuff not being pushed very hard. While powder coat opens up the higher velocity loads and seems to work well with gas port systems. Pretty colors too. Which can be useful as indicators of load & bullet or just an attractive conversations starter at the range.

One of these days I might give the wax lubes a try. For something I shoot a lot the size and lube in same shot might be as efficient as tumble lube and size and more immediate since no time for the tumble lube to dry.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Master
    Yes I do. Been doing a bunch of PC lately, seems to work very well and has advantages I like. Going to try rifle bullets (30 & 22) soon, will see if PC works with those first before going to lubing...maybe try both if things aren't working out.
    Take a kid to the range, you'll both be glad you did.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    Nothing has changed for me

Technically the fourth one is refurbished and painted. Also have a Star that is used more often than the RCBS sizers. Use a lot of BLL since it plain works.

Time is more valuable to me than anything else. Coatings take to much time. I liken it to cleaning brass w/ stainless media. It works, but takes to much time and there is no positive effect on target.
    LIKE - LIKE - LIKE !!!

Hitting our like button ... three times
    I'm in your corner .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master
    I do both, but once I found a good bulk PC method that works it's a game changer. Some loads do prefer lube for best accuracy so I'm not ready to sell my star sizer.

Boolit Buddy
    I do both, but so far the accuracy is not there for mil surp matches, when you shoot six consecutive ten shot groups each match the difference is obvious, and I've tried it with plain based and gas checked, pc is close but no cigar

Bill

Banned

Lube.......of course!!!!!!!

Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617 LastLast