Reloading EverythingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
WidenersTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Inline Fabrication RotoMetals2

View Poll Results: Do you lube or powder coat the cast boolits?

Voters
775. You may not vote on this poll
  • Lube

457 58.97%
  • Powder Coat

350 45.16%
  • Other

61 7.87%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Do you lube or powder coat the cast boolits?

Boolit Buddy
    I guess I'm conflicted. I don't really care for the bright colored powder. I think a traditional lubed boolit looks right. I started casting because I needed cheap bullets to fireform 7-30 Waters. You couldn't imagine the piles of dollars I have saved.
    I have mostly cast for pistols (32 S&W Long, 32 H&R, 45acp and 41mag) but have recently been playing with 30-30 and 30 carbine. I don't think I could bear seeing a neon colored boolit in a 30-30 but have decided to PC the 30 carbine to keep the gas system clean. I was playing with a copper color and eventually threw some black power in the mix and it turns out looking like dirty grease. Tolerable to my eyes.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180318_222107.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	36.3 KB 
ID:	217361

Boolit Master

Both (not a poll option).

Breathing the fumes. Not a good idea. Reason that I do all my fuming stuff outdoors in a breeze. Using Hi-tek coatings , gold in particular sort of look like boolits lubed with Alox. Time to watch for fumes is when you are shaking the bucket with fast evaporating Acetone and then when the boolits are in the oven. Just stay upwind. What I really like is after shooting a hundred rounds or so, check the barrel and it looks as it did after cleaning.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Scharfschuetze View Post
    I see the advantages to powder coating; but after 40 years of sizing and lubing boolits, I'm pretty happy with the procedure and I've enjoyed stellar results from the beginning. I'll stay with what I know, but I appreciate other technologies as well.
    Although not quite 40 years for me (only 33), these are my sentiments exactly.
    Semper Fi.

Lube for me!
    and I’m sold on Bens Lube
    and also beginIng to use BLL

Boolit Master
    I didn’t see enough benefit to stay with HI-TEK and PC. Went back to lube with a Star sizer. One pass and done.

Boolit Master

I've actually have been considering downsizing a couple of my Lyman 45 lubesizers lately because of the increased use of PC coatings in my shooting. At this time, about the only cartridge where I'd need a old fashion lube is my pyrodex-loaded 50-70Govt cases.
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

Boolit Grand Master

Do you lube or powder coat the cast boolits?

Never saw a need to try any of the coatings. You have to include all time which includes curing. A Star is still the fastest by far. Second is tumble lube if you don’t have to size. If you use BLL the dry time is pretty much nonexistent.

One thing people don’t mention very often. If power goes out, conventional lube is still an option. Can’t say that for the coatings. Not something I see happening but people here like to plan for the worse. Coatings won’t be an option in this scenario.

I won’t lie. I’m heavily invested in lube sizers. I own a couple Stars as well.

Boolit Master
    Your bench top is to clean.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Love Life View Post
    Your bench top is to clean.
    I hear that every time I post pics of it. It’s always like that. I “may have” given it a wipe down w/ Ballistol before I took the pic. I just realized that was a before pic. I need to take a new one since all four are refurbished now.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    I hear that every time I post pics of it. It’s always like that. I “may have” given it a wipe down w/ Ballistol before I took the pic. I just realized that was a before pic. I need to take a new one since all four are refurbished now.

You need to throw some clutter on there...and then sell me the Franken-cz.

Boolit Master
    This is why i can't show pictures of my workshop, it is so very messy. I can't even say it's organized chaos, as there are times i can't find a bloody thing in there

Boolit Master
    Most all my shooting is 44 Mag Revolver, 250g boolit over 20g of 2400 and a version of Glen F's lube. The 30.000 psi puts a vert fine coating of lube on the outside of the brass so sizing/decapping is smooth and easy. My brass rarely hits the ground so no chance of dirt in the sizer. Powder coating would ruin my case lube system. LOL

I prefer the look of lubed boolits to PC. Lube works fine and costs $12/lb, or 8,000 boolits.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazza View Post
    This is why i can't show pictures of my workshop, it is so very messy. I can't even say it's organized chaos, as there are times i can't find a bloody thing in there
    Yup... Same here...

2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Master
    I started casting 45 years ago and have only used lube in all that time. That said, lately I have been looking closely at the PC process and working to decide if it will give me anything more than I already have. I keep one sizer loaded with a soft lube, another with a harder rifle blend, and a third in reserve "just in case" as the saying goes. With all of the glory stories and bragging about PC I had to look at it, but for now I am still only looking but not yet touching that process.

Boolit Master
    I have been casting and lubing since the mid 50's and currently have five lube sizers.I'm satisfied with my results so will never try powder coating.

Boolit Master
    I'm waiting for easy Pinstriping and Flames on Powder Coated Boolits.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Quote Originally Posted by Mal Paso View Post
    I'm waiting for easy Pinstriping and Flames on Powder Coated Boolits.
    We used to have a fella here in Cali, over in the Sierras east of you that did all kinds of neet effects... >

But one of his last posts wasn't received very well and he just never came back. Sad loss of an enthusiastic artisan.
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazza View Post
    Ditto.

Boolit Master

I choose "OTHER" as I do both. Lately mostly I PC. But its still pretty new to me. I see many advantages, but its not IMHO its not universally better for me.

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast