Inline FabricationWidenersRepackboxLee Precision
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Load Data

View Poll Results: Do you lube or powder coat the cast boolits?

Voters
775. You may not vote on this poll
  • Lube

457 58.97%
  • Powder Coat

350 45.16%
  • Other

61 7.87%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you lube or powder coat the cast boolits?

Banned

I used to lube. If you do, I highly recommend white label lubes.

Guns run cleaner, and the reloading process is faster and far less toxic with powder coat.

Boolit Master

I ESPC , tumble coat with PC, lube with lubersizer, tumble lube with BLL, and probably will try the next thing that comes down the road. Have not gone with the HiTech coating, seem like a lot of trouble(could be wrong). I have had good results with all of the above.

Boolit Buddy

I switched to PC because it is so much cleaner. The gun is cleaner, my reloading equipment is cleaner. Less smoke when shooting....no burning lube.
    "A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, signed a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -- Author Unknown"

Boolit Master

I hard lube or tumble lube, but will start my first PC experiments this weekend.

Boolit Buddy
    I will size and lube until you prove to me that painting them gives better accuracy.
    Distinguished, Master,2600 club, President 100 badge holder.

Boolit Grand Master in Remembrance

At present I PC all 9mm, 380, and 32 acp, 45's I still lube. I do not shoot 10 mm enough to try one over the other.
    Lets make America GREAT again!
    Go, Go, Go, Go, Go Donald Trump

Keep your head on your shoulders
    Sit with your back to the wall
    Be ready to draw on a moments notice

Both PC and squeeze and grease. If I lube and size, I use White Label Carnauba Red exclusively now. It only takes a bit of heat and it is my favorite by a long shot(is that a pun, or what!) I PC all my 45/70 boolits and most 357's. The 357's I own-S&W 586 & 686, show a preference for PC. The rest of my guns don't seem to show any difference between either.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

I have done both but have been away from casting and reloading for quite a while so I havent been testing both to see which is more accurate. I just picked up a 30-30 and will be teaching my SIL to do it so I will have him see which he likes more and what is more accurate in our rifles.

Doc

Boolit Bub
    Pretty new to casting but really like the results of PC

Boolit Master
    I tumble lube all my cast boolits. The powder coating requires more equipment and space. For me, I have a propane burner,a stainless steel 2qt pot, a ladle, spoon, and slotted serving spoon, and a six spot muffin pan to make my bigots. They all fit neatly in a tote. I use a lee 20lb pot to fill the molds. It is also small. The tumble lube is in a 2qt container and takes up no space. The added mess and space that the equipment to powdercoat would take up doesn't warrant any benefit it might gain. I've never found an application action where it was needed. I've been shooting cast bullets in all my rifles and handguns for a while now and the only leading I got was from my own mistakes.

PC is better for velocity but man I love the ease of tumble lube. One of these days I would like to try a lube sizer just because it would be interesting to try, and there is a small spot at one end of the bench that is not buried so why waste it?
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Master
    yay! .........114% have voted.

sounds like dems have polluted our polling data as well!

Quote Originally Posted by psweigle View Post
    I tumble lube all my cast boolits. The powder coating requires more equipment and space.
    Yeah, all that extra equipment is a drag. I mean, where would I put a baking tray, a toaster oven, and a ziploc bag of powder?

Seriously guys, some of you are making out pc to be way harder than it is. If it's more complicated for you than tumble lubing, that's only because you want it to be. You can powder coat with pretty much the exact same process as tumble lube, except for baking instead of waiting overnight for it to dry.

Boolit Master
    You can do all the above , I lube size most because I'm lazy and it works well for me thanks to magma lubesizer , but I tumble lube some wad cutters for the 357 as cast , and I have one particular mold for the 9mm that I powder coat . But I enjoy playing with my little shiny boollits , it's all about playing with my toys . Give them all a try .

Boolit Buddy
    I've used PC, HI-TEK, tumble lube, and a lubesizer. I still PC or HI-Tek for my one grooveless mould, but sheer laziness made me break out the star and go back to lubesizing. The only real benefit I got from the coatings was cleanliness in the loading and shooting process. However, hopes #9 is still made, traditionally lubed bullet fouling has never caused me an issue, and it's one pull of the handle ad done with the star.

Boolit Mold
    There was no powder coat last time I cast my own boolits (1984ish). BUT, my son has discovered the hobby and loves powder coating. I have shot his product (.41 Mag and .45 ACP) and can see no difference. I have to say I have found no disadvantage to powder coating and it is way less messy. I did buy him a $25 toaster oven and a couple of pounds of powder coat from HFreight. That's really the only extra expense.

Boolit Master

I voted other....I PC most pistol boolits and lube/size for my rifles. Just my results, but PC rifle doesn't hold the same accuracy esp. as distance increases (mainly past 300yds but I see the difference starting @200). Your mileage may well vary,this is just my experience......
    An old Cherokee was teaching his grandson about life. "Inside me two wolves fight," he told the boy.
    "One is evil - he is anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity, resentment, lies, false pride, and ego. The other is good - he is joy, love, hope, serenity, humility, kindness, generosity, truth and faith. The same fight is inside you - and every other person, too."
    The grandson thought for a minute and asked,"Which wolf will win?"
    The old Cherokee replied, "The one you feed."

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by RoyEllis View Post
    I voted other....I PC most pistol boolits and lube/size for my rifles. Just my results, but PC rifle doesn't hold the same accuracy esp. as distance increases (mainly past 300yds but I see the difference starting @200). Your mileage may well vary,this is just my experience......
    Try to keep the coating for longer range rifle as thin and uniform as possible. High gloss works the best for this as it flows much better when baked.

I PC all my loads. Then, if rifle, they get pan lubed with MML+ and lee push through sized.

For pistol, PC then Push through sized with no lube.

Boolit Grand Master
    Lube. Traditional and Alox.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast