RotoMetals2RepackboxReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataWidenersTitan Reloading
Lee Precision

Thread: RIP L.A. County Sheriff's Sgt. Steven Owen

RIP L.A. County Sheriff's Sgt. Steven Owen

A Los Angeles County sheriff's sergeant was shot and killed Wednesday while answering a burglary report and the suspected gunman was arrested after commandeering his patrol car, ramming a second police vehicle, then hiding in a home as two teenagers cowered, authorities said.

Sgt. Steven Owen, 53, died at a hospital about two hours after he was gunned down behind a home in Lancaster, a desert community north of Los Angeles. His mother, adult son and daughter and his wife, who is a detective in the Sheriff Department's Arson/Explosives Detail, were at his bedside when he died, said Neal B. Tyler, the Sheriff's Department interim sheriff and executive officer.

"This is the thing we all dread," Tyler said at a news conference.

Owen, who also is survived by another adult son, was a 29-year decorated veteran, authorities said.

He was shot in the face with a large-caliber bullet that fragmented, said Mayor R. Rex Parris, who knew Owen for 10 years.

"I just left 100 officers crying. It's indescribable seeing that many sheriff's deputies in tears," Parris said.

"They brought him back three times. They worked on him for an hour but they were never able to stabilize him," Parris said.

A solemn evening vigil was also held for Owen outside his local sheriff's station.

Another deputy received injuries and was examined at a hospital but he wasn't shot, authorities said.

Owen was shot in the backyard at around 12:30 p.m. after he answered a report of a burglary in progress at an apartment building.

Investigators said another deputy in front heard gunfire, ran around the building and found Owen wounded.

It wasn't immediately clear whether Owen managed to shoot back, sheriff's homicide Capt. Steven Katz said.

The deputy chased the gunman, who ran to Owen's radio car, got in and tried to steal it. The suspect was shot at twice, once as he tried to take the patrol car and again as he backed up and rammed a second patrol car, Katz said.

Authorities have not released the name of the 27-year-old suspect.

As deputies sealed off the neighborhood, the gunman ran to a house where a teenage boy and girl managed to hide and use a cellphone to text sheriff's deputies, authorities said.

It wasn't clear whether the attacker knew they were there, Katz said.

SWAT team members entered the home to rescue the pair and the suspected gunman fled out the back door and was captured after climbing over a wall, officials said.

News reports showed a bloody, shirtless man on his knees being handcuffed.

The man, identified only as a parolee, was taken to a hospital for treatment of a gunshot wound to his upper body, investigators said.

Katz said a weapon was found.

In 2014, Owen was one of several deputies from the Lancaster station who were honored by the Sheriff's Department after they captured a gunman in a bulletproof vest who had taken a driver hostage and used him as a human shield after a police chase. Owens and the others received the Meritorious Conduct Medal, Gold.

Gov. Jerry Brown issued a statement after the shooting praising Owen's "honor and courage" and saying flags at the Capitol will be flown at half-staff.

Prayer's for the Family and LASD
    Last edited by Artful; 10-06-2016 at 11:14 AM.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

They brought him back three times. One tough son of a gun. Rest in peace Sir.
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

Perma-Banned

Rip...

Boolit Master
    Had a friend who was a sergeant with a SoCal police dept. Was killed in 1978 while serving arrest warrants.

Yet another good one gone.

Lord, please take care of Sgt. Owen and ease his family's grief.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Prayers for Sergeant Owen, his family, friends and co-workers.
    "Them that don't know him won't like him and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him, he ain't wrong he's just different and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right"
    Ed Bruce

Boolit Master

Prayers sent
    "In God we trust, in all others, check the manual!"

Banned

Sad to see. No surprises on the killer, prototypical ***. As soon as I saw: "The man, identified only as a parole"in the original report, I knew it had to be one the liberal media's protected classes. The liberals were praying it was some militia member or white supremacist. But it was a charter member of BLM. The LEOs are dealing with some tough conditions there in So Cal. Sorry to see this.

Boolit Buddy
    I had to wait a day to respond to this terrible news as it hit close to home with me. My first knowledge about this came from this forum yesterday. Since my son-in-law is a LASD deputy that works in the Lancaster area I immediately called my daughter. She informed me that Sgt. Steve Owen was my sil's immediate supervisor. He was family friend of theirs and a good man who was highly respected. I want all who believe in the BLM movement that I, for one, don't think the life of this *** matters one little bit. By their acts you shall know them. Enough said.
    God Bless Steve Owen and his family for their sacrifice.

Sad state all around. The suspect arrested "was a parolee" probably one that Gov. Jerry Brown ordered a early release for because he wants to spend 60 billion dollars on a "bullet train" instead of several more prisons to keep these criminals away from the public, but Jerry Brown will fly the flag at half mast to honor this fallen hero.

Goodbye, brother. Thank you for your service.

Moderator Emeritus

R.I.P. Prayers for the family

Boolit Grand Master

Sounds like a good man, fought the good fight and left this world better than he found it. Just sorry for his family's sake that he left it so early.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.