MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLoad DataInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Wideners
Titan Reloading Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The more I read, the more confused I get...

Banned

The .45 Colt is like a 45-70. Old or weak guns need different. But if you know the .45, it still works no matter. So does the 45-70. The best, old guns still work.

Boolit Master

Got out and shot all three different loads. None were as bad as that first batch of 23.5grs of Lil' Gun behind the XTPs... But, none of them did particularly well as far as groups go.

My gun just flat out hates the Hornady XTP 250gr boolit. Tried two different powders and pressures. It showed some preference for the 300gr cast boolit using the Titegroup over the Lil Gun, though. Still not up to my expectations, so I bought a can of Unique to give a try. Still no H110 for 45 miles...

Hornady 250gr XTP with 8.0grs of Titegroup:

Attachment 178360

300gr cast boolits with 17grs of Lil' Gun. These hit hard:

Attachment 178361

300gr cast boolits with 7.5grs of Titegroup. Not bad at all to shoot and was the first group I fired. The low flier was the first shot out of a clean and lightly oiled barrel. The last four made me pretty happy.

Attachment 178362

Will try some more loads with the Unique next.

This is the powder selection at the only place that sells powder within 45 miles...

Attachment 178363

Banned

I consider the XTP's the best, most accurate bullets ever made. Just have to chose the right one for hunting, some open too fast but older .45's let them work better. It can be hard to get to spin depending on twist.
    Ruger .45's prefer heavier with a 1 in 16" rate. I have no idea what other .45's are, like Colts or repros.
    The best groups I get with all my revolvers, except the 45-70 has been with 2400 and 296.
    For light bullets/boolits, for fun, Unique and 231 works just fine but I don't use those powders for deer. I never had any no. 9 so can't say. Seems to be a faster H110.
    I fear Lil'Gun because of heat.

Boolit Master
    But, none of them did particularly well as far as groups go.
    Is this the same gun as in the other post with the tight throats? You might not get any load to shoot particularly well until you get that taken care of. The 250 XTP in my Bisley 45 will shoot inside of 4" @ 100 yards all day long, with but my wrists resting on the bags holding the gun in my hands unsupported. This is with a heavy dose of either H110 or lil gun. I was forced to use lil gun for a spell due to the lack of H110 around here, but prefer H110. This gun had tight throats as well when I originally got it and wouldn't shoot partucularly well even with jacketed, until I opened them up.

Boolit Master
    Maybe not much help, but my Ruger shot the RCBS 270 SAA cast bullet from COWW most accurately than any other bullet I tried, using close to top end published loads of either Lil' Gun, H 110 or 2400.
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

You dam skippy 44man. I like this forum. Lil Gun is better for me in .300 BO than my .357 Blackhawk. At least in the AR I can't see the atomic fireball Lil Gun produces.
    Last edited by Texas by God; 10-08-2016 at 03:47 PM.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by str8wal View Post
    Is this the same gun as in the other post with the tight throats? You might not get any load to shoot particularly well until you get that taken care of. The 250 XTP in my Bisley 45 will shoot inside of 4" @ 100 yards all day long, with but my wrists resting on the bags holding the gun in my hands unsupported. This is with a heavy dose of either H110 or lil gun. I was forced to use lil gun for a spell due to the lack of H110 around here, but prefer H110. This gun had tight throats as well when I originally got it and wouldn't shoot partucularly well even with jacketed, until I opened them up.
    It shoots my dad's reloads very, very well; 1.25" groups at 25yds. Those are low powered CASS loads using 6.0grs of Trail Boss behind a .453 surplus lead round-nose boolit that Midway no longer sells.

Will be getting those cylinders opened up soon...
    Last edited by Idaho45guy; 10-08-2016 at 06:01 PM.

Boolit Master
    I learned to reload in the pre-internet era and never had a problem, other than slower response time for my questions. There are so many self-proclaimed experts out there, the Mighty InterWeb will often give you more contradictions than facts.
    The other members steered you in the right direction when they recommended published data from the manufacturers, that's the best place to start since the last thing they want to hear is "you guys blew up my gun!!"
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    You dam skippy 44man. I like this forum. Lil Gun is better for me in .300 BO than my .357 Blackhawk. At least in the AR I can't see the atomic fireball Lil Gun produces.
    Each caliber is different and I hate the 4227's in most but they worked in the .357 Max. I suppose Lil'Gun might have a place. It was made for the .410 after all.
    I don't have a .300 BO---WHAT FOR? I hunt deer and don't care if a shot causes a quake. What is a plastic, fantastic AR or a nine good for? WHAT can a .300 BO do? I don't even like a .357.
    Not to get down on anyone because I understand, but a good gun is never to be abused. Powders are not all the same.
    I might love a .300 BO for fun, who knows?

Deleted, already mentioned.

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

Banned

You know my friend bought a .25 cal pellet gun. Tank holds 3000 PSI. He sent it to have regulation system installed so every shot gets the same pressure as the tank goes down. Expensive in the end and to get the tank filled is a pain too. But to poke tiny groups at 50 yards is fun. No noise at all.
    I don't want one, need to drive 2 states to fill the tank and have to leave it overnight to get topped off because of heat. It is great fun but I have limits.
    I buy a great revolver for deer mostly but expect very small groups and want them forever so I protect them to live far after I am gone. I will not use anything to wear or harm a gun. To consider Lil'Gun over 296 makes me shake. Lower pressure with no better accuracy but why stick an acetylene torch down the bore?
    I am fussy and dirt cheap with SS. Money does not come easy. I feel good with $2 in my wallet. Right now I have $1. Change in a box to make $2. My guns were not cheap but I had to sell too many super ones to get them. I refuse to torch them.
    I worked my .45 Vaquero to do this at 50 yards, Five shots Creedmore. Attachment 178642 It has done less then an inch at 75 yards and I killed a deer over 100 to drop in place. 320 Lyman boolit. Yes 296. Fed 150 primer.
    I don't even look at 25 yards, I start at 50 and go to 500 meters (547) yards. 50 is my work place to start.
    Working the BFR in .500 JRH with a 440 gr boolit I designed and 296, I did this at 100 yards, benched. Attachment 178643
    My revolvers are not to be denied. I know them.

Boolit Master
    I have the AccuSport SS 5 1/2" Bisley Blackhawk, it really loves the RCBS 45-270SAA bullet, over Unique, HS6, 2400, lilgun, H110, or 300-MP. For bullets over 300 grains I tend to stck with HS6, 2400, H110, and 300-MP, I have a mold from Mountain Molds that drops a 325gr GC bullet that is very accurate in both my 45 Colt and 454 Casull.

Quote Originally Posted by shoot-n-lead View Post
    Those statements do not contradict...both say not to go below minimum published loads.

AND...as has been pointed out to you...FOLLOW A MANUAL...not what someone on an internet forum tells you. They may be the same...but if you follow the manual...you will know that it is correct.

If you are this unsure of what you are doing, you have no business reloading without first having read through a reloading manual.
    This is probably the best advice anyone has given you yet.

You need to get a Lyman #50 Loading Manual and read it. The first 1/3 of that manual is all about reloading the different types of Brass Cartridges. The 2nd 2/3's is load data for practically every common cartridge there is.

You need to go to a real written source when learning any new discipline.

The internet is not necessarily a "Good Source," as Al Gore invented it, and he's not right in the head!

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master

Was up in Spokane, WA last weekend with my girlfriend and stopped by The General Store and loaded up on primers and 110 powder, shell holders, racks, etc. Got all the stuff I couldn't find locally. Will have to work up some loads with the 110 to see how it goes.

You have gotten some great advice and a lot of information already. I have only been hadloading about 10 years. Started a little late in life. Let me advise you part of what I was advised:

1. Never trust loading data from the internet unless directly from the powder manufacturers website and only if using the exact same bullet. Do not handload anything until you have gotten and read at least 2 reloading manuals.

2. Get 2 reloading manuals. The ABCs of Reloading and Lymans Cast Bullet Handbook were recommended to me here. Pick one of them up. Read it cover to cover. Then go back and read it again, this time highlighting things - important safety information, data specific to you/your caliber of choice and interesting information you want to remember.

3. Repeat with the other manual.

4. Now you are just barely understanding the basics and probably think you can handle this.

5. Go buy your reloading equipment and supplies. This one item could take pages in detail. I wont bore you. FWIW I still refer to those 2 manuals on a regular basis.

One of the best things I learned was a heavy for caliber lead bulket (270gr or more in .45 Colt) at moderate velocity is all you will ever need. This has proven true to me from .32 H&R up through .475 Linebaugh. You do not HAVE to push a bullet to maximum to make it super effective AND they will be more enjoyable to shoot!

After you have become good at shooting and more knowledgable, you can start increasing bullet weight and/or velocity which will gain you only one thing: range. That higher velocity will allow you to stretch out any cartridge - if you want to. Personally - and this is just me - I dont hunt 100yds+ with a revolver. I just dont. So my shooting is always enjoyable for longer when at the range. I hae worked up some super loudenboomer awful loads for handguns. I h ave them. I shoot them. I dont hunt with them

One more thing: Get or make your own log book for each firearm. Keep copious detailed notes about loads, accuracy and notes such as dirty, or heavy recoil or shoots low. Think about it...you may try 3 or 4 bullets in one gun. You may try 3 or 4 powders with all the bullets and you may try 5 different powder charges fir each combination. This doesnt even account for primer and brass changes! No way you will remember all that AND how each one shoots.

Again this is just the bear bones start of what was given me - mostly from men here. Now...get started!

Boolit Master
    If you want a defense round against big bear, you need to find a reliable source of Ruger/Contender load data for 45 Colts.

As noted here, more than a few recommend around 1100 fps or so in a heavy bullet 45 Colt.

I have a contender 45 colt that I ran heavy loads in until I satisfied my need for wrist pain.

A 300 gr is a little heavier that anything I shot or have Ruger/TC data for.

Because not all vendors want to mess around with the "Ruger /Contender Only" stuff, you probably have a lot less guidance that you would like at this point.

Your Lil Gun sounds about right for top velocities with this application. The "burns hot" issue should not really be a problem. For you bullet and gun, I give you a 99% chance of wearing out your wrist before you wear out your gun. Just because this powder has a burn rate that is very close to WW296 / H110 (discussed more below), I would probably only want to use it at real close to the exact guidance in a good manual.

The next slower powder on my charts is the WW296 / H110 pair. These are the same powder and may be give you top velocities with the 300 gr bullets, but these are probably not a good choice for a novice in this application. These powders do not ignite well when there is too much empty space in the case and unlike most other powders the poor ignition can cause real problems. These powder are really good for a lot of full power big revolver loads and the risk of problem is low when used as recommended. It is just that the typical "start low" and a few other "rule of thumb" type things do not apply. There are really only a few example of powders that have this type of concern.

For the other powders, you are on the fast end which should work great for lighter loads. Just pay attention and make sure you do not double charge or get mixed up on how much to use.

One thing to remember, not many hand loaders have access to a ballistic lab to pressure test loads. Powder companies, bullet manufacturers, reloading manual publishers do.
    All these sources info differs to some extent. They use different guns, different lots of powder, primers,bullets and brass. Each of these variables effect pressures.
    I have around ten different manuals, to start a load development process I get info from all of them. Average the starting loads to start then work up. The closer I get to the average max load I really pay more attention to pressure signs.
    I also have a chronograph. I use for load development also. As I develop a load I watch the velocity. When I start to reach the max velocity in the books, even if the powder charges are not to max that's a good place to stop.
    Velocity has a direct proportion to powder charge. Even with a different lot of powder or primers. If the book says they get 1000 fps with 24 grs of powder and you get 1000 fps with 22 grs of powder the pressure will be very close even with your smaller charge.
    Leo

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12