Reloading EverythingRepackboxWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication Load Data

Thread: Sizer

Sizer

What sizer should I get? Rcbs or Lyman? Older or newer production?

Boolit Master
    First available at a decent price. Then if you feel it necessary, try another one. If you shop right, you will never lose money on a used lube sizer purchase.

Boolit Master
    I'd get the RCBS over the Lyman but the Star is a much better purchase by a mile.

Boolit Master

I prefer the RCBS mainly because RCBS stands behind their product so well. But I only like the older ones. The newer RCBS I don't like because of the lack of a ratchet. If something breaks on the RCBS, my experience has been that a phone is all it takes to get the parts free of charge. On the lyman you pay for any parts or repairs. For Lyman I prefer the 4500 model and it works good, but like I say the older RCBS are preferable. Of course, as MT Chambers said, a Star is way better than either.

Better look for a star...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I would get into powder coating and forget the lube/sizer.

Boolit Master

My first sizer was a well "used" Lyman 450 I bought from a guy over 30 years ago. I now have another 450 and two Lyman 45's for different calibers and lubes. That first one is still in constant use - Lyman makes a great product! That being said, so does RCBS (yes, yes, a STAR is the best). I think Dusty's comment is the right one here. Get the first one you can find at a good price - they all do the job.
    Semper Fi.

Boolit Bub
    I have a star and Lyman. I use the lyman the most.

Boolit Master
    I've used the Lyman 450 for 40 yrs. Easy to use and maintain. One is heated for hard lube, the other unseated for softer lube.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by MT Chambers View Post
    I'd get the RCBS over the Lyman but the Star is a much better purchase by a mile.
    This, I have two LAM1s w/ a third on the way. For overall speed the Star is the fastest. The RCBS is a more robust design compared to the Lyman.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonheart View Post
    I would get into powder coating and forget the lube/sizer.
    I think you might be right

I absolutely love my star, at first it was hard to get set up, but on I figured it out its prettyeasy, and not to mention, fast
    An armed man in a citizen.
    An unarmed man is a subject.
    A disarmed man is a slave.

Boolit Master
    Star for me, too.

Boolit Master
    Had my 450 since 1970. It's had a couple of upgrades but I'm sure it will work as long as I do.

Boolit Master
    I've 2 RCBS sizers models 1 and 2,had a Lyman 450 got rid of it after snapping off 2 handles.

Boolit Master

What kind of sizing and what volume do you plan on? I use Lyman 45's, an Ideal, 450's. Plenty cheap and lots of dies in any size you want can be found. I mostly size to as cast diameter and lube. I mostly do this on rifle bullets. If you plan to take hard bullets down 2 -5 thousands, you will break the Lyman. Stop. Get the right size molds. Star is the fastest, especially for pistol bullets, but more money. RCBS uses same dies as Lyman and is better built. Saeco and Redding are good, solid but pricey. Maybe the Lee system.

Boolit Buddy
    IMO Dusty gave some very good advice. A lyman 450 or a RCBS would be the obvious choices. Dies are interchangeable and buy used at a good price. I bought my first Lyman off ebay. It was dirty and went cheap. After I took it apart I cleaned and repainted it and it looked like new. Used it for years. Learned a lot. After awhile I decided I wanted a Star. Took my time and shopped around and found one at an estate sale. Sold my Lyman and dies for more than enough to purchase and outfit my Star. The dies for the lyman and RCBS are a lot cheaper than for a Star. If you starting out you may want to try several sizes to see what you guns like. If you get a Star be prepared for a large, steep learning curve. They can be finicky. Once you figure them out they are wonderful and I would never go back to anything else. Lathesmith on this site makes some outstanding dies and accessories for the Star at a very reasonable price.

Any of these three choices will serve you well.

Good luck.....Floyd

I have a RCBS and I use it without issues. I'm sure the others are fine too but I am partial to RCBS and their commitment to service.
    The sooner I fall behind...the more time I have to catch up with

Boolit Master

I have a couple of Lachmillers, forerunners of the RCBS LAM, and have had a couple of Lymans, but sold them - the Lachmiller/LAM is more robust. Check out eBay, and gun shows.
    (Also have a Star for pistol boolits)
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

Boolit Master
    I use the lee push through dies and tumble lube them all.