RepackboxLoad DataLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication Wideners

Thread: Winchester 1885 High wall by Miroku of Japan

Boolit Mold

Winchester 1885 High wall by Miroku of Japan

Winchester 1885 High wall by Miroku of Japan, trapper model, what is the barrel/receiver thread size? I'm hoping it will be a 60 degree V thread and not a metric thread.
    I'm just trying to second guess how much work will be involved cutting the thread on a new barrel before I start the job. My gunsmith friend will doing most of the critical work and I don't want to bother him with a time consuming job at the Low$ wage I pay/can afford . A metric thread will require a gear change on the lathe and this can be time consuming.

What say you?

Thanks for any help.
    Last edited by Low$John; 03-02-2017 at 02:57 PM. Reason: more info

Boolit Mold
    Well, I found out the hard way. I made a Aluminum barrel bushing and pulled the barrel off. Went well and now thinking 357 max barreling.

Have you done this type of work before? Are you going to ream a new chamber? You'll need headspace gauges, depth micrometer, etc.

Boolit Master
    I think he said his gunsmith friend would be doing most of the work....

Boolit Master
    I've got a Browning/Miroku Low Wall in 357max.....probably one of my favorite all time guns. Shot several deer with it already. If you do pick that caliber I think you'll like it.

What caliber was it? Was it one of those beautiful 28" octagons? You'll need a new custom made extractor probably.
    Best, Thomas.

On an island in a lake in a rainforest of liberals

This is a Uberti 1885 in 30-30 that I bought new 12 years ago to rebarrel. I never shot it, and then 5 years ago I put a Shilen select match stainless #3 taper 26" barrel on it in 257 Roberts Ackley Improved rimmed.

The only hard parts were:
    1) Cutting the extractor relief cut on the barrel breech. I copied the take off barrel, and it was still hard. [see my above sketch of that cut]
    2) Design and fabricate a barrel mounted scope mount / bi pod mount /for end mount, that does not flex the barrel.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Low$John View Post
    Well, I found out the hard way. I made a Aluminum barrel bushing and pulled the barrel off. Went well and now thinking 357 max barreling.
    Like Paul Harvey -and now the rest of the story????
    Thread size?

BTW - you must be the same Low$John from years ago on Hamilton's cbl ? yes?
    Chill Wills

Boolit Mold
    This thread sat for some time with seemingly no interest or info. I did find some info on line but the more I read the more confused it got. So I committed to the job by taking off the barrel. I'm by far from a machinist/gun smith, but I do have a lathe and mill where I can do some jobs. I made a barrel bushing for the 30-40 Krag barrel on the 1885 Winchester Jap carbine and it came off with out a scratch. The gun was like new and I indexed the barrel and will probably keep all the parts removed to sell with the rifle or maybe sell as separate parts later,,,IF, IF I get the job done and it works for me. I found the thread to be 13/16 x 20 tpi and a standard thread at that, but I have seen a Browning 78 with 15/16 x 20 made by Miroku also. If I knew how to send photos here I would but I may not have enough massages posted yet. Contact me off line cause my land line (Low$) is slow to send, I can send you some photos. At my age, I need a computer that operates as slow as I think. My machinist friend is going to grind a reamer to cut chamber and probably another to cut the 1 degree lead or what ever its called. Seems like that's what the cast bullet shooters are using now days. A 5 degree on a side seems kinda long and may change my mind before we get to that. I'm planning on a .25 long throat with a .358 dia into a .357 bore dia on this (New/Old stock) 1 in 14 twist Douglas barrel. I got lots of cast bullets to choose from so something will work.
    Hope this helps
    Low$John