RotoMetals2WidenersReloading EverythingRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataInline FabricationLee Precision
Snyders Jerky Titan Reloading

Thread: Just added a 1874 Sharps "Billy Dixon" Rifle to the Collection

Boolit Mold

Smile Just added a 1874 Sharps "Billy Dixon" Rifle to the Collection

I came across this 1874 Sharps rifle (Billy Dixon model) 45-70 at a small local shop
    and it just had to follow me home. its now sit with my C.Sharps rifle in the collection.
    Going to take it out to the range and stretch her out some and see how she does....

Here's a link to some pictures: http://sway.com/KRtYWm1EbvH52Uux
    " I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on.
    I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."

Boolit Master
    Very nice photos. I have one but the wood is not as nice as yours. The barrels are really great on those rifles and they shoot exceptionally well.
    EDG

Great looking gun! Nice pictures too! Hard to beat a great old caliber like .45-70 too!

Boolit Grand Master

The pedersolis are good rifles with very good barrels on them. I have the Long Range model sold by Cabellas some years back. 34" half round barrel, 45-70 caliber, Pistol grip and shotgun buttstock. I upgraded the sights to a long range soule tang with Hadley eye cup, and a wind gage front appeture. Its a great shooting rifle but on the heavy side. Its actually over NRA weight limits for shilouette. It does perfer the heavier bullets from 500 grns up to around 550 grns. Ive shot very well with the 535 grn lyman postells in it.

Boolit Mold
    Thank You guys, appreciate the comments. I too was impressed with its appearance when I came across it, the wood is exceptional, its sporting a
    32" Octagon barrel, has the long range Soule style rear sight with adjustable Hadley Eye cup. I am looking forward to seeing how it does at the range, I have some friends who shoot similar Pedersoli sharps and they are performing exceptionally well for them. I reload some for my C. Sharps rifle and
    going to try some of those loads in this rifle and see if there is any performance differences.

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by JB. Books View Post
    has the long range Soule style rear sight with adjustable Hadley Eye cup.
    Just so you know the difference if you get in a group that is hard on mistakes ...

You have the USA 431 Silhouette Long Range sight.
    Similar to a Soule, it has a staff that moves to adjust windage, but it is a different setup, entirely.

The Pedersoli 'Soule' sight follows the same pattern as other maker's sights, with the two big knobs at the base of the staff ... like this.

Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

Boolit Mold
    Thanks Montana_Charlie for the info, I certainly appreciate it. As I was looking at and comparing it to the one I have on my C.Sharps rifle
    I did notice a difference and was trying to figure out just what it actually was. Your info certainly helped to explain it all

Boolit Master
    I have owned both Pedersoli sights and I think you have the better one of the two. I had a Pedersoli Soule and sold it since I think the 431 is a better sight for fixed range shooting.
    You will notice it has 2 windage features. At one time I also had the windage adjustable front sight which gave me 3 windages on one rifle besides drifting the front sight in the slot.

Quote Originally Posted by JB. Books View Post
    Thanks Montana_Charlie for the info, I certainly appreciate it. As I was looking at and comparing it to the one I have on my C.Sharps rifle
    I did notice a difference and was trying to figure out just what it actually was. Your info certainly helped to explain it all
    EDG

Boolit Buddy
    Very nice rifle, you should invest in a shooters friend recoil pad tho cause that military buttstock will be hard on your shoulder. What bullet does your C.Sharps like?

Boolit Master

If'n you are just gonna leave it lying around on a stump, send it to me and I will put it in the safe.
    I will promise too keep her limbered up too.
    Cast boolits only of course.

Pretty.
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

I found one of those Pedersoli 431 sights used at a gun show cheap. So I figured I'd give it a try on my Ballard in .45-70. I cut the rear hole off, and drilled a countersunk hole under the spring to make the spacing 1.125" for my Ballard. I'm extremely happy with the way it works, and wish I could find more of them at the $100 price I paid for this one.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by EDG View Post
    I have owned both Pedersoli sights and I think you have the better one of the two. I had a Pedersoli Soule and sold it since I think the 431 is a better sight for fixed range shooting.
    You will notice it has 2 windage features. At one time I also had the windage adjustable front sight which gave me 3 windages on one rifle besides drifting the front sight in the slot.
    Im not that famiiar with these Pedersoli sights but I am going to give this one a try and see what it does.
    its looks like it will do the job just fine, time will tell

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiwall55 View Post
    Very nice rifle, you should invest in a shooters friend recoil pad tho cause that military buttstock will be hard on your shoulder. What bullet does your C.Sharps like?
    Thanks Hiwall55, if I am doing a lot of steady shooting in a day I will use my PAST pad, it works out very well for me at least.
    I generally reload my own 45-70 and if reloading black powder my C.Sharps likes 500 grn FN, lubed with SPG and sitting on GOEX powder and also 405 grn Lyman FN as well. As for smokeless rounds, as a plinker I will load up 405 grn over 10-11.5gr of Unique, makes nice plinker least for me.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by TCLouis View Post
    If'n you are just gonna leave it lying around on a stump, send it to me and I will put it in the safe.
    I will promise too keep her limbered up too.
    Cast boolits only of course.

Pretty.
    Gee TCLouis, if you want the Stump that bad I'll send it to you..... OOPS... you meant the Sharps think I'll keep her ....

Yep cast boolits always !!!

Boolit Buddy
    You should try the 530 grain RN from RCBS in that rifle, it's a real good bullet with Black Powder. When I had one I bought 2 moulds to keep up with casting cause it shot it so well. My Shiloh does not care for it so much although I will be shooting it with a duplex load next weekend at a buffalo herd shoot. 33 steel buffs in 3 banks of 11 with a time limit of 5 minutes a bank. Leave your blow tube home on this match,Bill

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiwall55 View Post
    You should try the 530 grain RN from RCBS in that rifle, it's a real good bullet with Black Powder. When I had one I bought 2 moulds to keep up with casting cause it shot it so well. My Shiloh does not care for it so much although I will be shooting it with a duplex load next weekend at a buffalo herd shoot. 33 steel buffs in 3 banks of 11 with a time limit of 5 minutes a bank. Leave your blow tube home on this match,Bill
    Thanks for the tip, I might look into giving that boolit a try and see what it does
    Good luck on that upcoming shoot, sounds like it will be fun....

Keep yer Powder dry ...

I use a Lyman 457125 that drops at 506 grains with my mix. I shoot mostly smokeless, and prefer this heavier bullet for hunting or long range shooting. Just made up a bunch to shoot tomorrow in preparation for the annual elk hunt next month. Taking my rebuilt Hepburn for elk, and hope to finally get a chance with this old gal!

Banned

after a month with a pedersoli bodine roller, both of those stock sights HAD to go. replaced with lee shaver super grade long range vernier micrometer soule w/hadeley eyecup, and a spirit globe front aperture sight. since then, all my bpcr rifles sport lee super grades, best value in a bpcr sight system, imho.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by marlinman93 View Post
    I use a Lyman 457125 that drops at 506 grains with my mix. I shoot mostly smokeless, and prefer this heavier bullet for hunting or long range shooting. Just made up a bunch to shoot tomorrow in preparation for the annual elk hunt next month. Taking my rebuilt Hepburn for elk, and hope to finally get a chance with this old gal!

Haven't ran one that heavy yet but its something to consider. I can see where they will certainly work well in a hunt & long ranges.
    Wish you luck on your hunt, you going where the Roosevelt are ? I'm originally from NW Montana, and lived a bit over near the
    Blue Mountains in Oregon sure saw some nice ones in that area.

BTW some nice rifles you have there ...

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by rfd View Post
    after a month with a pedersoli bodine roller, both of those stock sights HAD to go. replaced with lee shaver super grade long range vernier micrometer soule w/hadeley eyecup, and a spirit globe front aperture sight. since then, all my bpcr rifles sport lee super grades, best value in a bpcr sight system, imho.

Havn't heard of those brand of sights. Have to do some reading on them, I might consider making a change of sights.

NICE RIFLE there for sure .....