Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingWidenersInline Fabrication
RepackboxSnyders JerkyLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2 Reloading Everything

Thread: 32-20 vs 30-20 tc

32-20 vs 30-20 tc

Hi guys from what I have read the big difference between the 32-20 and 30-20 TC is that the second uses a 308 rather than 312 barrel.

The 30-20 TC requires its own dies, but do you need a different chamber reamer or are these done with a standard 32-20 reamer?

Also how big a bullets can be shot 150, 180, 200 grain?

Boolit Grand Master
    TC custom shop barrels are not friendly to cast bullets.

Boolit Master
    The Hornady dies that I am using, in a Contender platform, are labeled for the 32-20.
    An internet search as to the heaviest weight used in this platform was, as I recall, 170 grains.
    I personally have only gone up to 150 grains.
    https://wbrpc.org/

genealogy, another area of interest

feedback - http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...9613-czech_too

Boolit Master

I have two 30/20's the bore is .308. I use Redding 30/20 and they work very good with cast bullets 30 cal 110 to 168 grain. I have loaded 20,354 cast bullets and use mostly Unique powder. I think all TC barrels are 30/20 custom shop or not. Mind are not from the custom shop just off the self in the 80's.

Boolit Master
    I use RCBS 32-20 dies with a 308 expander 3 die set. My hunter pistol boolit was a cast 115 gr 30 carbine bullet. Shot up to 168's on the 200 yard rams. 180's and larger just wouldn't work.

Boolit Master

I never used 32/20 dies my Redding dies are 30/20. Used the 115 gr bullet for hunter pistol and RCBS 168 Sil for long range. Work well unit hunter pistol dried up down here. Have not shot it in years. Still keep my guns thinking it will make a come back someday.

Boolit Master

I had two pistols in 30/20 first was a RPM XL it shot cast as well as jacketed which I rarely used, I had excellent results with the RCBS 165 gr sil bullet & 9.0 grs of WW820 @1,250 fps which I used 99% of the time, as well as the less accurate Saeco 302 120gr gc for the short range.

The Contender 32/20 with a .308 bore from the custom shop would not shoot cast bullets well enough to be used in a match, however it shot jacked bullets excellent. after I found it would not shoot cast after a lot of load development, I sold the barrel as I'm a cast bullet shooter.

I used the Redding 30 /20 TC 4 die set which includes a neck sizer & expander that is made for .308 bullets ," only neck size your brass".

Boolit Buddy

Cool

I shot up to 220-grain RNs in my .30-20 carbine. At lower velocities (ca. 1050) they shot under 2" groups at fifty yards (thought it was 3" but went back and checked my records), but that was mostly vertical dispersion. The horizontal spread was under an inch. Bullet holes appeared slightly out of round. I never played with the powder charges (H110 and AA-1680) to see if I could tighten the the groups up, but the load was for subsonic deer hunting. Slightly unstable long heavy bullets cause considerable wounds and quick kills on small Texas deer.