Load DataLee PrecisionReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingRepackbox
Wideners Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ojive cutting tool

Boolit Master

Ojive cutting tool

Ok I've done the search and read a huge quantity of threads. KTN and Cane_man and a few others have beautiful pictures of finished D spoons and reamers just before they proceed to mill the cutting edges. Cane_man has a couple pictures of 2 home made cutters. What are the rest of the die makers using to cut consistent ogives for the reamers and lapping rods. Youtube has one that a guy use a homemade cutter to make bolt covers for hotrods. Most of the tools I see are ones to make balls on the lathe, however they aren't long enough for bullet ojive blanks.
    Thanks,
    Bill
    Last edited by just bill; 10-03-2016 at 08:03 PM. Reason: Spelling

Frosted Boolits

Full-time die makers probably have custom carbide reamers made. Cnc lathes would make short order of brass laps for finishing the PF die.
    My Feedback : http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...iscoyotehunter

An armed society is a polite society.

the BB knows

Depends on the machine shop and what the die is made of. A lot of dies are being made using plunge EDM and then hand polished. I would imagine that Corbin MFG would tool up a CNC to make a bunch of die blanks and then EDM and hand polish them to order. I think if I was to go into the business, I would look into that.

I would also also assume if they are set up to make dies it's probably also pretty cost effective for them to CNC grind their own carbide reamers.

Boolit Master

I pretty much understand the pro side, just read BT's posts and he has carbide cutters, but I just want to try to make some point forming dies on a Logan. I guess for my self I could cut some close enough reamers, however I am seeking a way to make as consistent radii on sets of cutters like I've seen others on this site. It's a shame the only one who offered reamers went down in flames.
    Thanks,
    Bill

Boolit Master
    The radii is relatively easy to make in manual lathe with a radius ball turner attachment.
    There is plenty of videos in the youtube about DIY radius ball turners.
    here one example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwGLL7cMdHk

S

Boolit Buddy

Bill, just a note I believe if you contact PTG you can send them a drawing and they will do a custom reamer for you. I have not tried it yet, so I can' speak to cost or quality but it is an idea. Hope that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by just bill View Post
    I pretty much understand the pro side, just read BT's posts and he has carbide cutters, but I just want to try to make some point forming dies on a Logan. I guess for my self I could cut some close enough reamers, however I am seeking a way to make as consistent radii on sets of cutters like I've seen others on this site. It's a shame the only one who offered reamers went down in flames.
    Thanks,
    Bill

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_1264.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	43.3 KB 
ID:	178111Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_1265.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	42.9 KB 
ID:	178112
    Here's a little radius turning attachment I put together for my bench lathe. The base plate is similar to the base of my tool post but instead of the tool holder, there's a swing arm anchored to one corner. The swing arm has a rudimentary tool post that slides along a tee slot. It's awkward to set up but once the slider is tight, it can be fed into the radius with the cross feed.

Spec'd the parts to length from Speedy Metals and made the rest of the cuts on a 7x10mini lathe with a milling attachment. IIRC there's about $30 in materials and hardware (and a week of head scratching, calculating and fabricating).
    Last edited by PWS; 10-03-2016 at 03:42 PM. Reason: add pictures

Boolit Mold
    An idea I had was to use the radius tool on the lathe to cut the radius on a tool rod, and then make that into a custom cutter to make a form tool. Then the laps would be easy to make using the cross slide with the form tool so that the radius would be consistent between laps.

Rick

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by rickv100 View Post
    An idea I had was to use the radius tool on the lathe to cut the radius on a tool rod, and then make that into a custom cutter to make a form tool. Then the laps would be easy to make using the cross slide with the form tool so that the radius would be consistent between laps.

Rick
    I've seen what you are talking about Mr.pete222 did the for aluminum oil bobs. Could work for the brass, however would it work on the tool steel? Good idea.
    Bill

Boolit Mold
    Bill,

Take a look at this site.

http://www.jamesriser.com/Machinery/...Form/Tool.html

A threading tool is a type of form tool.

Rick
    Last edited by rickv100; 10-07-2016 at 11:17 AM.

Boolit Master
    Friend of mine made a test sample from .338 reamer. The ogive is 11 and meplat will be 0.039.
    There will be also .30 with 10 hybrid ogive and .224 with 7 ogive.. all them will be with 0.039 meplats.

Name:	IMG_20161109_212532.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	25.1 KB 
ID:	180392 We had some talks, and he might make some spare ones later on.. Also with bigger meplats if somebody feel too unconfortable on drilling such small holes..

S

Ps. . Reamer is 3 fluted and possible to have with uneven angle. First test will be done with this type, and if there will be signs of vibration, then we will test the uneven angle of flutes.
    Last edited by seppos; 11-09-2016 at 04:23 PM.

Banned
    Excellent stuff here. THIS is what I enjoy reading on Castboolits. Keep on the cutting edge of machining folks. (Pun intended) We need people who can still use and create non cnc (and cnc for that matter) machines. Keep spreading your knowledge and expertise gentlemen. I am too old and too poor to do any real machining but am super encouraged that there are young folks keeping the torch burning.

That 3 flut will work! I made a .204 set with one made on a lathe and milled the flutes on it. It cut great.

Once you make a reamer and mill the flutes the edges are still rounded right. How does a guy sharpen it? I wouldn't think you would free hand it. I have a new mill and am thinking of taking on this project.
    Dont pee down my back and tell me its raining.

Boolit Master
    Depending the material you need to remove, either heat treat or do preliminary grinding before it and finally polish the cutting edge with fine arkansas stone.

It is only the very edge where you need to remove the burrs.
    Good help is to use black permanent marker in cutting edges.
    When you work with the edge, you see that you remove material evenly.
    Paint the edge, and after you have made some polishing, put some more marker to the edge. Eventually you only have fine edge left that you have not worked out.
    That is the final cutting edge. Carefully just remove the burrs from it with fine stone.
    Then you should be ready to go.

S
    Last edited by seppos; 11-15-2016 at 01:23 AM.

I started on it tonight and got two of the three flutes done. I think I see now what I need to do. I will use the black marker. Thanks for the reply.
    Dont pee down my back and tell me its raining.

Boolit Master
    I went for three as i thought that 3 legged chair stands more firmly than 2 or 4 legged one
    In some discussions there where mentioned that the uneven spacing might reduce the possible vibration of the tool. We will see. Just bought couple of syringes of diamond paste for the polishing of the cutting edge and later on for the lapping of the dies.

S

Quote Originally Posted by seppos View Post
    I went for three as i thought that 3 legged chair stands more firmly than 2 or 4 legged one
    In some discussions there where mentioned that the uneven spacing might reduce the possible vibration of the tool. We will see. Just bought couple of syringes of diamond paste for the polishing of the cutting edge and later on for the lapping of the dies.

S
    That is what I thought too and mine worked just fine!

Boolit Master
    I made this many years ago. It mounts on the lathe cross slide and the radius is adjustable and is set by measuring from the flat on the pivot pin to the tool point. If you record the measurement you can repeat it in the future. I used it for reamers and laps. The combined length of the fixture and the handle gives plenty of leverage for control.

Name:	radius cutting fixture 003.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	35.3 KB 
ID:	180805
    BIG OR SMALL I LIKE THEM ALL, 577 TO 22 HORNET.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by elk hunter View Post
    I made this many years ago. It mounts on the lathe cross slide and the radius is adjustable and is set by measuring from the flat on the pivot pin to the tool point. If you record the measurement you can repeat it in the future. I used it for reamers and laps. The combined length of the fixture and the handle gives plenty of leverage for control.

Name:	radius cutting fixture 003.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	35.3 KB 
ID:	180805
    I've seen three simular. I'd be interested in more information about how it's made.
    Bill

I'm attempting to make a tool holder version.
    Last edited by just bill; 11-16-2016 at 06:01 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast