RepackboxSnyders JerkyLoad DataRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading Reloading Everything

Thread: Achieving a lifetime supply

Boolit Grand Master

Achieving a lifetime supply

Over the past four years I have focused on attaining a lifetime supply of shooting stuff. During this process, I have sold over 15 firearms and acquired a handful of redundant (backup) ones.

The first priority was preparing for SHTF - the guns I will need. Then there are the guns I want for hunting and that I shoot for fun.

This allowed me to reduce the number of calibers/gauges to:
    .22 LR
    9mm
    .38/.357
    12 ga
    20 ga (only because I enjoy hunting upland game with it - but it is not needed)

Calibers/ga eliminated (or soon to be):
    .22 Hornet
    .30/30
    .30/06
    .300 Win Mag
    .44 Spl and Mag
    .45 ACP (sadly, this made sense to eliminate)
    .45 LC
    28 ga

Anyway, reducing the number of toys and calibers frees up space and cash. The cash is used to stock up on components. I do not "sub optimize" by chasing performance. By that I mean I do not stock a powder that is ideal in one caliber/gun but so-so in the others. A 1/4 MOA, or 50 FPS improvement is not important to me. If I cannot justify 8 lbs of it, I do not need it.

It pained me to add the .45 ACP to my "eliminate" list. Doing so eliminated the need for LP primers. I had a dedicated 1050 set up for .45 ACP at one time - sold it and used a 650, but could not justify it either. I have not loaded .45 ACP for over three years as I amassed a good supply of reloads and converted to the .40 for full size carry. Getting rid of my .45 ACP guns, brass, primers, and bullets, will net about $4000. That buys a lot of components for the guns I need/use, and is part of being prepared. Right now powder and primers are available. Who knows what the future brings.

Investing in powder and primers is smarter than buying a new gun. If you do not have a minimum ten year supply of powder and primers for the guns you NEED, is it smart to buy a gun you WANT?

Achieving a lifetime supply gets easier as we age. There is less time left and the amount of shooting ebbs. I have gone from 20k a year to about 5k due to health issues, but hope to be back in the 10k range next year.

Boolit Master

i have always tried to stay with only a few calibers but several guns in said caliber, the old 2 is 1 and 1 is none idea. but even though I don't load for it I still keep a 30-30 around just because.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    It pained me to add the .45 ACP to my "eliminate" list. Doing so eliminated the need for LP primers. I had a dedicated 1050 set up for .45 ACP at one time - sold it and used a 650, but could not justify it either. I have not loaded .45 ACP for over three years as I amassed a good supply of reloads and converted to the .40 for full size carry. Getting rid of my .45 ACP guns, brass, primers, and bullets, will net about $4000. That buys a lot of components for the guns I need/use, and is part of being prepared. Right now powder and primers are available. Who knows what the future brings.
    No real .45 cal 1911's ? I couldn't do it. But I see your logic and applaud the master plan here. Getting rid of all my 1911's would net a ton of cash all right, but...no. Just can't. I justify my large pistol primer stock by keeping .44 mag and .45 Colt revolvers and lever guns in the arsenal and load 'em light for fun and powder conservation. I have been trying to plan mostly common powder choices (700X, WST, 4198 etc.) across cartridges and efficient loading habits to make the lifetime amount easier to reach. Buy it up now for sure gents...by March it could all be MIA.

This is an interesting post. Some thought definitely went into your choices and system of selection. I too would have trouble not owing a couple of 1911s, but what you've said about the common primer sizes makes sense. It's kind of becoming the consensus of opinion that properly loaded and bulleted 9x19mm s are the effective equal of the 40 S&W, so you could probably drop the 40 also. Your choices are all good ones, and pretty well cover the range of N. American shooting.

It pained me to add the .45 ACP to my "eliminate" list. Doing so eliminated the need for LP primers.

I have been running across quite a few SPP 45's at the range lately. Might be one way to keep your 45 and using the SPP's.
    "The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government. " --(Thomas Jefferson)

"Calling an illegal alien an undocumented immigrant is like calling a drug pusher an unlicensed pharmacist."

When you put Political Correctness ahead of justice, you get no justice.
    Mark Fuhrman

Wow--great observation, coloraydo! Small primer .45 ACPs used to be unusual, but they are becoming more common. Gee, dverna, since you're keeping the .308 (.30 cal. with large rifle primers) couldn't you keep the .30-30 and .30-06 as well? I hate to see you giving up all your toys!

Boolit Master

Where Pennsylvania, Delaware, and Maryland join.
    I actually went the other direction. Originally I thought having a commonality of calibers was the answer but the last shortage taught me something. When the shelves were almost empty the common popular calibers disappeared first and when you couldn't find 9mm or .223 ammo and SP primers or Unique could not be had for love nor money there were still a few boxes of the odd calibers and components still on the shelf.

So I decided to go the other direction and I want a gun to shoot whatever caliber I can buy or barter for. And for reloading I want to be able to reload and use any components I can find. I even have dies for calibers that I don't have a gun for. I have been looking at all the cheap used stuff at the gun shows and when I see a good buy I grab it. Being able to reload after TEOTWAWKI will be a very marketable skill and the more calibers you can handle the better. You will be able to barter those skills and components, by they bring you empty brass that you reload for a share of the brass for yourself. And if someone has a gun but no ammo they will either trade the gun for reloads in a caliber they can shoot or they will pay top price in money or goods to get some ammo for so they can shoot.

Primers come in only 4 sizes plus shotgun and some powders like Unique can reload many different calibers, the dies will fit a standard press, cast your own bullets, etc. After the SHTF when there is no ammo to be had if you can supply reloads that can go bang and bullet will come out the barrel you will be very popular and no one will be picky about bullet weight or design or theoretical velocities.

I understand the desire for one size fits all but there is something to be said for having all the bases covered. Just different philosophies to consider.
    Last edited by Blacksmith; 10-28-2016 at 02:14 AM.
    Blacksmith

S. G. G. = Sons of the Greatest Generation. Too old to run, too proud to hide; we will stand our ground and take as many as we can with us!

Boolit Master

Where Pennsylvania, Delaware, and Maryland join.
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Gebirgsjager View Post
    Wow--great observation, coloraydo! Small primer .45 ACPs used to be unusual, but they are becoming more common. Gee, dverna, since you're keeping the .308 (.30 cal. with large rifle primers) couldn't you keep the .30-30 and .30-06 as well? I hate to see you giving up all your toys!
    A lot of .45 shooters hate SP brass because it messes up their progressive press so they will give it away for free when they find it. Just let everyone know you can use it and a steady stream will find it way to you.
    Blacksmith

S. G. G. = Sons of the Greatest Generation. Too old to run, too proud to hide; we will stand our ground and take as many as we can with us!

Looks more like your going to give up the opportunity to be able to load and horsetrade the other calibers. In a SHTF world, that ammo is going to be more valuable than silver or gold.
    All that for primers?
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by OS OK View Post
    Looks more like your going to give up the opportunity to be able to load and horsetrade the other calibers. In a SHTF world, that ammo is going to be more valuable than silver or gold.
    All that for primers?
    I see your point. But I did not want to maintain a supply of components like brass, and bullets for calibers I did not need. I have kept 10k LPP and dies/molds for the .44mag and 45 ACP in case the need arises. It is illegal to load for others so these are for SHTF. My main trade items will be .22LR and shotgun ammo. (I have 100+ bags of shot, 20k wads and over 15k hulls....part of the curse of being a trap shooter. LOL.) Anyway, almost everyone in my area has a .22 and shotgun so they will be an easy barter. I have slug and buckshot molds to address the need for those who want to hunt bigger game or for self defense.

After further thought the .30/30 will stay on the list of keepers as I have a couple, they are a good cast caliber, and it should be easier to acquire other guns without a paper trail.

Don Verna

Boolit Man
    Grand Forks, ND, USA, NA, Northern Hemisphere, Planet Earth, Milky Way
    Looking at your lists, I would recommend getting rid of the .40 as well!

I did something similar about 15 years ago. I had too many different cartridges to load and couldn't afford to keep all my guns fed. I eliminated a LOT of cals and guns to make things more efficient. Once I felt comfortable with my supply, I've been slowly adding others back in.

Boolit Mold
    When I started down this path of prepping, my goal was 3 guns and 2 powders. As I read and learned and realized that different situations call for different guns but at some point in time a man has to say how much is enough?

My rifles are centered around a .300 bullet (ak, 300 aac, 7.62X54R) with multiple weights for each. I also have loads for the AR but it uses the same powder as the 300 and AK so there is a savings.

My pistols are all .356 or .4 based and use only 2 powders.

I also have the obligatory 22lr but since I cannot reload that I don't count that in my prepping efforts. I have light loads for the 7.62 X 54R and AR that mimic a 22lr so I can use that when things get real tight.

I cast my own bullets for all of my calibers except 22lr so lead supply is important.

I guess my finial comment to the OP is; It gets real complicated, real fast, as you become more knowledgeable. It is easy to get big. It just takes money. It is hard to stay small. It takes intelligence and forethought. I would rather take the time to think things out now, than have a limited supply of ammo for every gun in the world.

r.woods

ADMIN

I am right there with you.

Keeper
    22lr - kids
    22 TCM - replacement for 22 hornet plus I have tons of JSP and brass
    9mm - gonna be the new primary LEO caliber
    32-20 - its a good plinking round. I have a pistol and rifle - plus tons of brass and a mold
    38sp - tons of brass
    357 mag - tons of brass
    40 sw - still popular with LEOs, I have tons of brass and 4 handguns and a sub gun
    41 mag - plenty of brass - this is my favorite
    45 acp/ar - 4K pieces of brass and you have to have a 1911
    45 colt - this was a toss up but I got a couple handguns and lever guns plus lots of brass

stuff going away
    38-40
    44-40
    22 hornet
    22 mag
    44 mag
    44 sp (already have a lifetime supply loaded)
    30 carbine

Common calibers is what you WANT.
    If you have planned properly then what you will have is the following

Primers
    Powder
    Brass
    lead
    Molds for most common calibers.

I have molds for 90% of every handgun caliber (nothing bigger then 44 mag)
    I have sizing dies for all too (stuff I don't load is lyman for the L-45)

worst case is your not gonna have ammo.
    If you planned ahead you can exchange ammo for anything later
    with the supplies listed you can make ammo.

I do have rifles too, but don't load for them cause I already have a lifetime supply of commercial ammo (5.45x39 AP, 5.56, 7.62x39, 7.62 nato, 30-06)
    the standard US military calibers I have both AP and standard ball ammo

Some three and a half or 4 years ago I got a nice windfall from Mom and Dad. Early inheritance lets call it. Suddenly I could scratch that itch that had been bugging me for 20 years.

When I got married in 1996 I was a 44 yr old bachelor who spent most of his free time hunting and fishing. I knew I had to make this marriage thing work. Failure was not an option. So I hung up my guns and my fishing gear.

Some 18 years later along comes this windfall and my wife says "Bill, we are good, solid as a rock. If you want a hobby or 2 go ahead, you can afford it."

Started with a pair of Mosin's and a Yugo SKS shortly joined.

Now I have a variety of rifles, pistols (my old Remington 870 Wingmaster shotguns).
    I load for a variety of calibers.

The thing I did was look for one powder that would let me shoot everything.
    I found that in Red Dot. Granted it is often not the "best" powder for any given application. But I have found accuracy in light loads, with no problems and it is very easy on my wallet. So I load a variety of calibers with no fear. Knowing I have a large supply of Red Dot at hand.

Lately I have been building my lead stash, mostly COWW.

My Primer can's are overflowing.

And I have been buying Air Rifles, muscle powered Machines that will shoot a .22 pellet of which I have several thousand. Or a cast .22 buckshot which I have a mold and a lot of lead. This would let me shoot without powder or primer. As long as I can bujild a fire and cock the barrel I can shoot and shoot accurately. Turkish walnut stocks don't hurt they eyes much either.

We all find our own path. Main thing is IMO to be watching the road ahead and be prepared. How you choose to do so is up to you.

Boolit Grand Master
    GH,

Promo uses the same data as Red Dot but is less expensive. It is made by Alliant. I have 8 jugs of it for the reasons you stated. Useful in 12ga, all my pistols, and in low velocity cast rifle. You made a wise choice.
    Don Verna

Boolit Mold
    GhostHawk,

I agree with you on "most accurate" All of the guns that I own are more accurate than I am able to shoot. If I can hit a lifesize target at 100 yards, that is real. I don't care about going out to 200 or 300 yards. I can hardly see that far.

r.woods

Dverna I lump it all together in my mind sir. One of those 8 lb jugs IS promo, and is currently on the shotgun reloading bench. And Yes I do know I can use it on the other side.

Since I have more of the RD seemed easier to do it that way.

It is a little less expensive but when buying in bulk from a good source (I like BPI) there is not a lot of difference.

My only mistake was when I did find it I should have bought a really big order once instead of in dibs and dabs. But I figured it out eventually.

I will buy either, depending on what is available. I guess I prefer the Red Dot. I know they use the same data but can have different density. As I remember volume for volume is ok, but weight might not be. So where I might weigh charges for 20 rifle rounds I just prefer the Red Dot. One less thing to worry about. And I like the smell of it burned. It smelled at first, now it is just gunsmoke and brings a smile to my face.

Boolit Grand Master
    GH

You have it backwards

Because density is different it is only equivalent by weight.....not be volume

Please remember that my friend!!
    Don Verna

I always get it backwards! Gahhhhhhhhh

That is why I dislike mixing the 2 up.

I know I always screw it up.

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    This really is a good idea , to bad it took me this long to realize it . Some things may be a life time supply , others I'm selling .

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter