Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingInline FabricationLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Wideners
Load Data Repackbox
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: has Remington gotten their act togther?

Boolit Master

has Remington gotten their act togther?

the American rifleman magazine has over the last weeks issues really praised the new remingtons, the newest r51, the newest marlin lever a tiins, the newest shotgun and the new model 700s. they did address the quality and reliability and saftey issues, didn't seem like complete puff pieces, any out there have hands on some new remington firearms, how do they stack up to Remington of old and are they better than the junk.from the last few years?

Banned

I believe they are decent/serviceable and worth consideration. But I don't trust any "magazine" reviews except I will say the American Rifleman does have some facts, good and bad, in their reviews. Not total puff pieces. Not a Remington guy, but I would buy any of their current production long-guns and possibly their handguns. To answer your question, my opinion is that that have addressed the quality control issues. Would love to see the .357 Marlins show back up and I would get one.

Banned

they ain't Winchester.
    they ain't even Ruger.
    I'd rather have a rifle from Czechoslovakia.
    I bought a rifle from Spain for 150 bucks more than their top end 700 and I'm glad I did.
    I prefer that my lever guns are made in Brazil.
    Remington spelled backwards is Hillary Clinton.

Boolit Master
    After that last 700 I bought from them I think I am done with them. I can't think of any firearm they make I cannot get elsewhere from another manufacturer.

Boolit Master

"...how do they stack up to Remington of old..."? Would that be the Remington of:
    1950's: Shooters rechamber Winchester M-70 22 Hornets to .222 rather than be seen with a Remington 722.
    1960's: The 600 with a plastic ventilated rib.
    1970's: Top of the line M700's with stamped checkering and bowling pin finishes.
    1950 to present: Rifle extractors that are apparently made of recycled paper clips.
    Would this be the Remington of old you speak of?

I just bought a Remington R51 pistol for $380. It is a fine compact 9mm for the money. Quality is everything I would expect at that price. For better or worse, Remington has always cranked out consumer goods using the technology and manufacturing methods to reach consumers at a planned price point. Sometimes they are wildly successful (M700 in 7mm Mag) and sometimes they drop the ball.
    Last edited by 376Steyr; 10-02-2016 at 02:01 PM.

Perma-Banned
    the thing ya hafta remember is The American Rifleman is like all other gun rags. they pimp for whoever's buyin' advertisements.

Everyone is entitled to their political comments and viewpoints...but to answer the OP's question: I've got a Remington made Marlin 336c in 35 Rem. It's a good shooter with factory Remington 200 grain ammo...under an inch at 50 yards with iron sights. That's a good shooter to me. Wood looks great, and finish is nice.

-Butchman

They'll come back, I believe.

I want to tell you a story that's been much on my mind, but I seem to be right in the middle of a "senior moment" and can't recall the name of the disease this fellow had. Maybe it will come back to me in time for an edit. Anyway, this chap rides around all over town in a power wheelchair which he told me cost $28,000. He is basically a quadriplegic, wears an Aussie outback hat, usually complimented by at least one item of Real Tree camouflage, be it pants or shirt.

I've lived on the edge of this town of approx. 1,700 people for 11 years now, and I'll bet I've seen him in the downtown area on 80% of my trips driving down Main St. to the local Stop-N-Rob. I never had occasion to talk with him. Turns out that as a young man he was employed by the U.S.F.S. as a log grader, but came down with this disease and was retired. Now he lives alone, as his wife left him when he got sick, and there's a lady that comes in mornings and gets him up, dressed, fed, and in the chair. Another different one does the reverse at night. So, being alone, he roams around, perhaps in search of company and conversation. He seems like a genuinely nice guy, as are many who have suffered much.

I knew nothing about him, just saw him around, but three months ago he turned up at my front gate, phoned me on his cell phone to let me know that he was there, could I come out to chat about a gun problem. Turns out that he is a hunter and has a location down by the river where he can see a bit over 500 yards. He can move his right hand just enough to work the controls on his power chair, and has had a special detachable platform and cradle built for his rifle that bolts onto the chair, and is able to pull the trigger. He began by telling me that he wanted an accurate rifle that could shoot under 1" groups at 100 yards because he wants to ethically shoot the full 500 yards visible from his vantage point. He has a hunting buddy, also old and sick but not completely disabled, who helps him out with retrieval, etc. So he purchased a Remington 700 in .300 Win. Mag., but was disappointed in it's accuracy and free-floated the barrel. Of course they are purposely made with a pressure pad, a fact that he knew and freely admitted that he had removed. He wanted me to work on his rifle, but not being licensed any more I had to decline. I advised him to put a pressure pad back in and try again. He tried to reassure me that if I'd work on the rifle and something went wrong he wouldn't sue me, citing an accident last year when the power chair overturned and he broke both legs. His friends urged him to sue the chair manufacturer, "but I'm not that kind of a guy." Still had to decline the job.

About 3 weeks later he phones me again, says he's on his way to see me. I walked out to the gate, then out onto the road, and there he came in his chair, about 1/2 mile distant. The thing moves surprisingly fast, probably 8-10 mph, so I didn't have long to wait. This time he said that he had put the pad back in and test fired the rifle and three of his five groups (if I got it right) were 1", the others 1 1/2". Seemed happy, and I thought that was an end of it.

No--two weeks ago he again appeared at my front gate. He'd been shooting some Federal factory ammo in the rifle and had to pound the bolt open. Last round was still in the chamber. He said that he'd tried Hornady ammo and it worked fine. Meanwhile he'd purchased another Remington 700 in .308 Win. and had swapped the stocks around--both synthetic stocks. What should he do? Would I be willing to re-barrel the .300 Mag.? Nope, had to turn him down again, but made the logical suggestion that he contact Remington and see what they'd do for him. Just yesterday he phoned and said that Remington was going to send him a shipping container, and if they felt it necessary they would re-barrel the rifle. So, that was/is nice and I hope it turns out well, and kind of believe that it will. Of course there will be another chapter to the story, and when I know the conclusion I'll revisit this post--if that senior moment will pass and I remember to do so.

Oh! Muscular Dystrophy, is the cause of his condition. He says that it has run it's course.

10-8-16: This fellow telephoned today, said he got his rifle back from repair, problem diagnosed as a rough chamber.
    They polished the chamber. He hasn't tried it out yet, and said that once again he has free floated the barrel. This is odd, because supposedly he had gotten acceptable results once he replaced the pressure pad. Not my problem, nor will it become so, just reporting that he did get action from Big Green.
    Last edited by Der Gebirgsjager; 10-09-2016 at 01:05 PM. Reason: update

Remington's act has always been together. I have a bunch of them and they'll all shoot under a MOA.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by bubba.50 View Post
    the thing ya hafta remember is The American Rifleman is like all other gun rags. they pimp for whoever's buyin' advertisements.
    Yep. I can't count the number of times I've read glowing reviews in their magazine of a firearm, then went online and found countless data points showing just how flawed that weapon was. Latest was the new Ruger American Pistol.

I have noticed that a few reviews lately actually had something negative to say in them, which is surprising since in the past, they never said anything bad about a firearm.

It was beyond sketchy to see a major write-up and glowing review of Mexican-made Aguilla Ammunition and then every month since, there is a advertising purchased by them in the magazine.

I guess that's just the way of the world nowadays; no morals, no integrity, profit above people no matter what...

Perm-Banned
    their 45 auto is the top seller around here. my son has one and it is reliable and very very accurate.

Boolit Master

I do receive the Rifleman but rarely pay much attention to their gun tests/evaluations. Can't honestly recall the last time one of their reviewers made an actually negative comment about anything they've tested.

Incidently, my three favorite bolt guns are all early model (pre-1976) Remington 700 BDLs. Outside of the original urethane stock finishes...which are long-gone from my guns...I've never had anything to complain about. One the other hand, wouldn't swap any of them for TWO of their current production BDLs, either.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Master

This is far removed from today's situation and circumstances, but back in the early 1980s I purchased a used Rem. 788 in .223 from a then-local gun shop in Ohio (live in Ky. now). Did not know at the time this rifle was made for only a few years and dropped from their line. It has the peculiar rear locking lugs instead of being up front where most locking lugs are. Only paid a couple hundred dollars for it but it has been one super rifle. Shoots lighter bullets very fast and quite well. Can't remember the rate of twist but it is right on for Nosler 52 gr. jhp match bullets (that are not supposed to be used for hunting but really put the hurt on groundhogs, coyotes, etc). Evidently it had not been shot very much or what it was shot didn't hurt it any. Still a tack driver. That is the extent of my experience with Remingtons ... but so far, so good. Don't know anything about current production but if I could find another Rem. 788 in anything, I would buy it. Big Boomer

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    I take reviews done in gun rags with a grain of salt. What are they going to say . . . especially when the mfg. is guying advertising in the magazine at a high dollar price?

I haven'b purchased a Reington in many, many years. I remember the Remingtons of "old" which were always good firearms. I was all set to buy one of the Remington R51s when they announced the manufacture of them . . . and all the reviews I read "praised" it . . . but when actual manufacturing began it turned out to be a "lemon". Have they got it ironed out? I don't know, but it "soured" me on wanting one.

In the end, any gun mfg. can have problems and none are immune to it. I sincerely hope that Remington has started to turn things around. But, before I'd buy one (or for that matter, any other make) I want to hear from people who actually "own" one and their thoughts on them. IMHO, "reviews" are a dime a dozen and really don't hold much water. If I were thinking about a Remington - and I've considered several center-fire rifles that I've seen listed on the LGS web list - I would hope that I could find someone with some experience with it to get their thoughts.

Unfortunately . . . and it's all "business" which I fully understand . . . the "bean counters" often prevail no matter what company it is. I'm not knocking Remington at all . . . and I hope that they continue to improve and gain the reputation that they once had as we really need manufacturers in this country to succeed and survive.

it would really be nice to hear what some actual owners of Remingtons that have been produced in the last couple of years think about them. It's like anything else in life . . . a good reputation is quick to be lost but slow to be regained. Hopefully Remington is on the road back.

Boolit Grand Master

I've been disappointed with my 700 CDL I bought used that is about 10 years old from an accuracy standpoint.

Not a Remy but My 2015 manufacture 1895 GBL is a good one with good metal to wood fit and good accuracy. It really likes a warm load of RL 7 and 350-420 gr boolits.

Quote Originally Posted by bedbugbilly

it would really be nice to hear what some actual owners of Remingtons that have been produced in the last couple of years think about them.
    Like I said earlier...ive got a Remington made Marlin 336c in 35 Remington. It's a good shooter and looks great. Wood and metal fit & finish are not bad at all. It's a levergun that shoots under an inch at 50 yards with factory ammo and iron sights...which is fine by me.

I've owned several Remington 700's over the years, and two are my favorite "go to" rifles when I'm hunting and have to have the first shot count.

I've rotated through Ruger 77's, Browning semi and bolts, Sako's, custom bolt guns, etc...but the two Remington 700's are probably here for the long haul. Both are BDL's in calibers 25-06 and .300 Win mag. With those two calibers I can hunt pretty much any situation here in the southeast US that require a center fire rifle.

-Butchman

Boolit Master

We have a radio station(AM) here in St.Louis area part of a chain called the Answer. Lately the have been running an ad for some lawyer outfit that is suing Remington about their triggers. I only have one Remington product, a Nylon 77. Nice gun, it has appreciated quite a bit over the price I paid.
    Ole Jack
    "'Necesity' is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of Tyrants: it is the creed of slaves."
    William Pitt, 1783
    "America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we faulter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." Abraham Lincoln.

Boolit Master

remingturd=cutcorner manufacturing! have a few recent 700's. so long as you understand your gonna throw half the gun away out of the box to make a quality rifle, your ok.

Boolit Master

I know Remington made me about $600. That's how much the value of my Marlin lever action increased after Remington bought them and ruined them. I paid $400 for my Marlin and 4 years later sold it for $1000.

I wish Marlin would turn around; their catalog now is pathetic and their guns are overpriced; Henry is killing them...

Boolit Master
    It is what it is. A old company who used skilled labor to turn out serviceable fire arms. But the world had changed, so mush so that the old cheap gun manufactures were taking advantage of the new technologies. Turning a process that they already used to make guns inexpensively and just ramped up the quality of the output.

This put the old guard at a disadvantage. They know how to hand build and had fit guns to hit a quality level. Not how to make many many guns cheap but good.
    Its a steep learning curve for them.
    If they survive they will learn how to do it.

The R51 is the perfect example of this learning curve.
    I picked up a G2 version a week or so ago. Mine functions exactly as expected.

I hope they dont just poop can the hand work though. They would have an advantage if they kept it.
    They would be able to offer the standard grade of a serviceable fire arm. But offer upgrades to hand fit models in various grades.
    Allot of people would pay a bit more over list price for a hand fit and tested example.
    Will see.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast