Inline FabricationLoad DataSnyders JerkyWideners
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingRepackboxTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply Lee Precision
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: .38 Special cast bullet in 9 mm

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    Not to long ago I loaded some full WC for a P95DA sized 358 . The pistol would feed an empty case from the mag . 3.0 Unique gave feed and function . These were believed to be 146 gr version of 358432 which should be 161gr .
    Attachment 178039
    All just for fun .
    The also ran in a FEG HP9 .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Banned
    Harter 66,

Are those in your picture 9mm Luger? With that bullet and 3.0 grain Unique I bet you compressed fairly well the powder. Isn't it?

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    Yes . I started at 2.0 and stopped at 3.0 with clean function.
    They are probably only 650-725 fps .

I bought a bucket of ingots etc it seemed a waste to toss them in pot . There's 20lbs of them .

Primers were less formed than standard book loads for the 125 RNFP .

Yes it is a huge encroachment but with caution and a start low approach. I think that data came from data for 38-200/Colts new police/S&W / short but I would have to review my source beyond "The loads that worked book".
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Banned

only swc ive had that would feed a 100 percent in my 9mms is the 105 lee.

Boolit Master

I believe if you do a search on the forum, there have been several threads started on heavier bullets for 9mm Luger I've loaded 158gr RN bullets in 9x19 cases that have fired and functioned in both my 1911 and Browning Highpowers in 9mm.

Bruce
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

Boolit Master
    I've used a 140 grain SWC .38 Special bullet cast from an H&G #12B mould. Works perfectly in a Beretta 9mm and with good accuracy, but the loaded cartridge looks like it wouldn't feed reliably in anything. I believe I've tried this bullet in other 9mm handguns, but don't recall which ones at the moment. I've used several bullets over 150 grains as well, though no SWCs that heavy. Aside from bullet fit and reliable functioning, there is such little data available for bullets like the .38 Special SWCs. Good luck with your project-

Boolit Master

Just did a quick search on the forum.
    10 pages of links to threads where "heavy 9mm boolit" was referenced.
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

Boolit Buddy
    I shoot Lee 158's in a S&W 39 fairly often. I use around ~3 grains of Unique in it. Don't recall the COAL off the top of my head, but it wouldn't help you anyway, Just do as others have shown you and make the cartridge up to what your barrel tells you and what your mag/gun will feed. AND START LOW.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” -Samuel Adams

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.

μολων λαβε

Boolit Master
    About 20yrs ago,I had a request as a class 6 mfg license holder for a "pin" load for 9mm to better clear bowling pins from a table.
    I worked up a load using HS6 and the Lee 150gr SWC. I sized them .356", and reached near 1,100fps. It fed well from most, but not all 9mm's.

Those who requested it said it met their needs and objectives.
    It looked "funky", with the bullet seated out. But worked. Nowadays, I'd use power pistol or LongShot.

Tested them out this morning. Here's what the results were......

Only loaded up 5 of them for testing. Shot from Ruger P89

150 grain Lyman .38/.357 SWC. .357 to .358 diameter.
    All weighed 152 to 153 with lube. No idea what the blue lube is.
    3 grains of Hodgdon Universal.
    Set to OAL of 1.14"

Fired first round and took out chambered round for a measurement. Didn't move a bit. Still 1.14".
    Then fired other 4 from magazine. All fed perfectly.
    No keyholes. Shot at 15 yards.
    Next will load up full 10 and 15 round magazines and double check feeding.
    Damn happy so far.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20161005_122342.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	35.2 KB 
ID:	178203
    I think the two outside ones were bad trigger technique. I remember pulling a couple. Will find out with next batch.
    Last edited by buckshotshoey; 10-05-2016 at 01:25 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

Looking good there Buckshot....don't you just love this hobby ?
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    Looking good there Buckshot....don't you just love this hobby ?
    Gary
    Yes. Hoping it lasts after this election. I was guessing, educated guessing, when i loaded these bullets for Dads .38. He said dont change anything. Im just as happy as he was. They look ugly as hell in a 9mm with the crimp groove showing. As mentioned by a previous poster (refering to his own creation), they dont look like any 9mm pistol could digest them.

I might work them up a bit, but really dont see a reason to at this point. They have about the same recoil as my 147 TMJ's. Maybe a little lighter. And they seem to group just as well so far. As long as they keep working the slide, and keep feeding, I will probably leave them alone. Not broke...not fixing it! No signs of leading but didnt expect to find any after only 5 rounds. Will load up about 50 and try again.
    Last edited by buckshotshoey; 10-05-2016 at 10:35 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

I've been doing just the opposite, 9 mm boolits in a 38 /357 !
    With the NOE 4 cavity mould I bought, #358-124-TC-GC , I can make piles of .358 dia., 124 grain , truncated cone boolits , with the gas check they work quite well in 357 magnum loads and +P 38 specials. I just use my 9 mm die to taper crimp the boolit.... Accuracy is outstanding in my old Ruger Blackhawk !
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    I've been doing just the opposite, 9 mm boolits in a 38 /357 !
    With the NOE 4 cavity mould I bought, #358-124-TC-GC , I can make piles of .358 dia., 124 grain , truncated cone boolits , with the gas check they work quite well in 357 magnum loads and +P 38 specials. I just use my 9 mm die to taper crimp the boolit.... Accuracy is outstanding in my old Ruger Blackhawk !
    Gary
    Interesting......and low recoil too!

I shoot 160gr LRN in my 9mm all the time. I run them about 800fps using RedDot or WST, but other fast burners would be suitable. I load to about 1.150", though that would NOT apply to your SWC. Recoil is stupid soft, but I prefer the 147gr. The 160gr seem to run my heavy 1911 slide pretty slow. Mine are 0.356" Bayou but any 158gr 38sp RN would be sim.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

It can be done with careful practices, but PLEASE do be careful. The 9mm is pretty small for the pressure it runs and real estate is at a premium. Just .020 deeper on seating depth can make pressures spike. For that large a bullet, keep the OAL at the absolute maximum your gun will allow and creep up slow. This sort of thing really needs to be done with a chronograph.

Watch that seating depth. Things change fast.

Quote Originally Posted by NoAngel View Post
    It can be done with careful practices, but PLEASE do be careful. The 9mm is pretty small for the pressure it runs and real estate is at a premium. Just .020 deeper on seating depth can make pressures spike. For that large a bullet, keep the OAL at the absolute maximum your gun will allow and creep up slow. This sort of thing really needs to be done with a chronograph.

Watch that seating depth. Things change fast.
    Good advice. I measured it up so the base of the SWC's are the same depth in the case as the 147 TMJ's. Therefore running the same case capacity (or a hair more) as the 147's.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by buckshotshoey View Post
    Interesting......and low recoil too!
    About like any 125 grain boolit, at 750-800 fps it is gentle. The low recoil champ is the Lee 358-105-SWC , at only 105 grains it doesn't have a lot of kick . When sized to .358 in 38 special at 750 fps it's sweet shooting.

I also use the 358-105-SWC , sized to .357 , for 9 mm loads in the old WWII P38, with just enough powder for reliable feeding, it doesn't batter the old war horse. And shoots to point of aim with the P38's fixed sights. Nifty little mould that conserves on lead too .
    Gary

Boolit Buddy
    i know its not perfect, but if you give bullet lengths and OAL I can run quickload for you for some various things for some idea if its doable.

Quote Originally Posted by mistermog View Post
    i know its not perfect, but if you give bullet lengths and OAL I can run quickload for you for some various things for some idea if its doable.
    Sure. You can try it if you want....
    Bullet length- .676 average
    weight- 153 grains average
    OAL- 1.140"

Cant seat them much longer due to the case mouth is close to the lube groove. The base of the wad cutter
    should be about the same depth in case as a 147 TMJ.
    Last edited by buckshotshoey; 10-11-2016 at 02:42 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast