Inline FabricationLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingRepackboxWidenersTitan Reloading
Lee Precision
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: why hunt with cast boolits?

I won't abandon my 22-250 & 25-06 with J-words any time soon. But they get shot less nowadays. But they are ready for the long shots I sometimes take.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    I won't abandon my 22-250 & 25-06 with J-words any time soon. But they get shot less nowadays. But they are ready for the long shots I sometimes take.
    my 20 vartarg(tc encore)will take groundhogs, foxes and a 'yote or three. my 6.5 creedmoor(tc encore) and my 270(ruger #1) will take a deer long range. those 3 are jacketed bullets.

but my 30-30, 30-40 krag, 444marlin(tc encore again) and a 45-70 handi are nothing more than cast boolits. i'm going to have another encore that will be a 500 linebaugh(23"MGM barrel) and it will be a cast boolit, no jacketed thingys.

i think that cast boolits may have gotten me. is it bad when you dream about cast boolits?

Quote Originally Posted by rondog View Post
    Took my doe last fall with a powdercoated cast .45 Colt, Lee 255gr RFN over 31gr of IMR4227 (31 or 21, can't recall). Sailed true right into her heart at 250yds. Nice little holes in and out, nice trench across the heart. No massive disgusting damage, just a dead deer that went about 25-30 yards before expiring, if that far.

Made a believer out of me!
    How much holdover? Seems mighty far for the .45 long Colt. Perchance a misprint?
    Best, Thomas.

Boolit Buddy
    sailing true probably means it hit the mark, however he obtained it. good shooting if you ask me!

Boolit Master

Come on fellas GREAT shot but
    Everyone knows that rondog used a Rossi 92 with the 24" barrel in .45 Colt, He says "gave me venison this fall with a 250 yard heart shot. I'd hesitate to try my 16" Winchester Trapper in .44 mag at 250 feet."
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Quote Originally Posted by skeettx View Post
    Come on fellas GREAT shot but
    Everyone knows that rondog used a Rossi 92 with the 24" barrel in .45 Colt, He says "gave me venison this fall with a 250 yard heart shot. I'd hesitate to try my 16" Winchester Trapper in .44 mag at 250 feet."
    And you would be correct in hesitating! I don't care if you're Elmer Keith reincarnated a 250 yd shot at a deer with a .45 Colt is ill advised. My .02 only.

Boolit Buddy
    Two guys l shoot IHMSA silh with have a friendly wager going over who can kill the most ''critters'' this season...Both are shooting the same class and type guns...0ne is shooting a 25BR w jktd bullets.. Second guys is shooting a 7mmBR w home cast boolits using an RCBS silh mold... 25BR is in SECOND.. Cast 7BR guy shot his first FORTY in the March match...His first ever... l saw him drop 10 rams @ 200Meters. 0pen sights from his XP100...Cast vs JKTD... Cast is winning

Boolit Buddy
    I wont be giving up J-words in a few of mine anytime soon unless someone comes up with a way to push cast at over 4100fps, I run light for cal in both my swift and 240wby for varminting and the 240 also sees 100gr J-words at 3200fps for deer use. They shoot like lazers but a lazer isn't always needed, both my 357mag & 45/70 only get feed cast and the 375H&H also gets a lot of cast put through it.

Boolit Mold
    Ideal manual #38 from the 50's has a 29gr kirksite (pot metal or Zamak) cast bullet at 4760 fps with 40gr of 3031 in a 220 swift. It's one of my grandpa's old books and the fasted published load I've ever seen. I took a picture of the page but my imgur app is being a pain in the *** and not uploading for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by 220 View Post
    I wont be giving up J-words in a few of mine anytime soon unless someone comes up with a way to push cast at over 4100fps, I run light for cal in both my swift and 240wby for varminting and the 240 also sees 100gr J-words at 3200fps for deer use. They shoot like lazers but a lazer isn't always needed, both my 357mag & 45/70 only get feed cast and the 375H&H also gets a lot of cast put through it.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by unstableryan View Post
    Ideal manual #38 from the 50's has a 29gr kirksite (pot metal or Zamak) cast bullet at 4760 fps with 40gr of 3031 in a 220 swift. It's one of my grandpa's old books and the fasted published load I've ever seen. I took a picture of the page but my imgur app is being a pain in the *** and not uploading for some reason.
    Thank you for sharing this, I didn't know about those. I'd be interested in seeing the picture of that page if you get it figured out.

Banned
    look at page 47

its the first one up there

http://www.castpics.net/LoadData/OM/IdealHandbook38.pdf

Boolit Mold
    Hey cool, the electronic one still has it's cover

Quote Originally Posted by tdoyka View Post
    look at page 47

its the first one up there

http://www.castpics.net/LoadData/OM/IdealHandbook38.pdf

Boolit Mold
    Page 18 talks about using your kitchen gas, electric or coal stove to melt lead, as well as take the pot over by the window while fluxing.

The best part in the whole book though is the top bit of page 120.

"Never place the cases on the bottom of the oven or directly in contact with any heated surface. Place them on a grating, spread out on newspaper. Leave the door open about one inch to permit a circulation of air.
    If you have no thermostat or oven indicator on your stove, you will have to call in the cook and have her regulate the oven as she would if she were baking a sponge cake; then follow the directions above. "

Boolit Master
    Read a story once where a big business man hired a prof. gunsmith to set up a rifle, scope dialed in and loaded ammo. then hired a prof. guide to locate Elk, Flew out to meet guide, next day rode in the truck to hunting area, spotted elk from truck, shot elk, (First round fired by him through this gun) from my understanding it was some kind of record breaker. Guide handled processing and mount, while business man flew back to his domain. O.K for some! And feeds a lot of professionals!!! Now re-create this story self imposed with cast and only the professionals at cast boolits and that is where I find the feeling of accomplishment, & success. And what a long winded story it would be to give all the details from when I started to washing up the knives. Jim

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234