Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingWideners
Load DataRotoMetals2RepackboxLee Precision
Snyders Jerky MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: insert for 22LR?

Boolit Buddy

insert for 22LR?

Has anyone used one of the inserts that allow shooting 22LR in a .223 Contender or Encore? Does it work well?

Boolit Master

I have not used one but the bullet dia. on .223 is .224 and the dia. on 22Lr is .222
    Have read post on other boards where some guys say it shoots good and others say no. Good luck!
    To lazy to chase arrows.
    Clodhopper

Boolit Master
    I have a 22 conversion unit for my AR 15 and have found that accuracy is ok for plinking but nothing to take to a target range. Basically the conversion is an adapter and a blowback bolt so your results should be about the same. It is tin can accurate at 50 yards but not X ring accurate.

Boolit Master
    One of the engineers at work makes dedicated 22 Long Rifle uppers...and they are sold by BROWNELLS. They ain't cheap, but Rick Kuehl is extremely close tolerance/detail oriented here at work and when your product is in the catalog at BROWNELLS, it's a good item.

You have to admire a guy who is unhappy with a product and says "Hell with this; I'll make one the way it should have been made in the first place!"

Boolit Grand Master

+1 exactly for what NickSS said. It also has a LONG smoothbore (the length
    of the .223 chamber) before it hits the oversized barrel. . . . . . My AR converter shoots
    better than that sounds, but it is basically 'minute of pop can' at 25 yds, fine
    for fun plinking and short range training, and for kids to shoot, but nothing
    like my Marvel 1911 upper - which is TRULY accurate as heck.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master

I did fine in the AR coversion that ammo was a big part of the problem. If you will get the Rem gold/bronze bullet or the Win super X, that has that long nurel area they do shoot much better They are the same size as the out side of case on a 22lr. that is 224 rick

Moderator Emeritus
    I found the same thing as shotman... Some .22 ammo in my AR-15 would shoot about 4" at 50 yards while others (Wolf match) would shoot about an inch at the same distance. It's amazing the difference the ammo can make.

I re-shot the Wolf ammo because I couldn't believe the difference and got similar results.... I have a Ceiner conversion kit.

John

Boolit Grand Master

I'll have to try some Wolf match and some of the Win Super X. I shot Federal
    in my Ciener AR conversion a couple days ago, about 3" at 25 yds. My real
    .22 rifles will make one big hole at 25 yds with most decent ammo, 1" for
    10 shots in worst case ammo.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master
    http://www.mcace.com/adapters.htm
    If this is what your talking about, they would DO for a survival situation. A box of 22LR takes up a tiny space compared to 50 .223 rounds. They are accurate enough to kill rabbits or squirrel at close range. They are also quite usefull to train new shooters how to handle a center fire rifle. Ammo costs are way reduced and the recoil fear is too. There USED to be an outfit that made .22 adaptors for shotguns. Those were MUCH more accurate,as the chamber was correct for the cartridge.

Boolit Mold
    I haven't used a .223 to .22lr adapter in my Contender but I do have an adapter that fires a 22cal pellet with a 205 shotgun primer (no powder). It is suprisingly accurate out to about 20 yards. The only drawback is that the adapter was a pain to load, but I made a little jig that is kinda like a Lee-Loader that is quick. All thats needed is hand presure. Out of a 14" barrel its fairlly quiet and has enough power to knock squirles out of the tops of trees. If you have or have access to a jewlers lathe and some non-reloadable steel cases you can make some up. as soon as I get time I might make some more if them up. About 5 is the right number for hunting in a tree rat rich enviroment. Works good on cats too.
    JR