RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
RepackboxLoad DataSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pop my cherry

Pop my cherry

This is my first post so be gentle. Didn't know where to post this question. I figure all of yall must know what your doing to some extent. I'm just getting into reloading. I picked up two boxes of primers the other day , large pistol. After putting them all in I discovered one box was large rifle. My bad I should have checked each box but I didn't. So can I pop all these primers back out and tell the difference in the two? Or can I still use them like they are? What's the difference? 45 Cal. Thank you

Boolit Master
    Large rifle primers are taller than large pistol primers and generally have thicker cups. Run your finger over the base of the case and you should be able to tell the difference, the rifle primers will stand out more.

If you do choose to deprime the live primers just take it easy, don't slam the case into the die. You probably won't set one off doing this but it can happen.

Thank you sir.

Boolit Grand Master
    did you seat more than 100
    did you take the primers out of 2 different packs
    you should be able to back out the large rifle,but do it easy
    i hope you gathered something from this,its easy to get things mixed up
    take your time no distractions
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Grand Master

I have deprimed literally hundreds of live primers, carefully, and never had one go off. They all fired when loaded appropriately, too.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

I grabbed two boxes off the shelf never looked at the second one. Just lost some time. I can use the large rifle primers. Your right that won't happen again. Just glad I noticed at all.

Boolit Grand Master

No offence intended, but you're starting off pretty sloppy. Basic reloading safety methods should be reviewed. Primers; Read the labels before purchasing or opening the brick/sleeve. Keep only one sleeve of primers on the bench at one time. For the new reloader, stay with the reloading manual's suggestions for size and "strength". Seat primers all the way to the bottom of the pocket, and many suggest safety glasses when priming brass.

Establish a step by step routine for getting set-up before starting the reloading process, like set all the components on the bench, and perhaps write the load data on a note and tape it to the press or another obvious place. One jug of powder, one sleeve of primers (unless you intend to prime more than 100 cases.

I've been reloading for over 30 years and practice these measures every reloading session and have had zero Kabooms! and only one squib (28 year ago).

Go slow, double check everything, stay safe, and most important, have fun...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Master
    The priming compound is often a different color, if it is it would make IDing them pretty easy.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    Use this as a learning experience. Pay attention to what you are doing. Luckily it's primers . . . you don't want to be screwing up with grabbing the wrong canister of powder. Powder containers can often "look similar" - READ the labels on any of the components you are using BEFORE you use them and don't get distracted while reloading.

Sorry if that sounds a little harsh, but reloading isn't something to be done "half #$^%". If you don't have a good reloading manual - get one - and read it. Don't just depend on forums like this to gather your reloading information - while forums are helpful - nothing substitutes for a good reloading manual.

Boolit Master

Welcome Scuppertrout, hope you don't mind some advice...

Double check everything, label everything, don't memorize, don't depend on memory of what is in your powder measure, keep only one kind of powder/primer on your bench at a time. If in doubt pull/cull the bullets.

Your eyes, fingers and life depend on your safe reloading

Welcome abord there Scup..I suppose we all make mistakes it's just you'd rather not have brainfarts in the reloading room.
    Not knowing you or your personality/habits and the like it's hard to offer much advise in general and in a non-specific way other than the general 'warning label' type stuff, but...there's a few things you can do to keep the odds in your favor.
    Daily we all have idle time, commuting, waiting for Dr. apt. or whatever applies in your case...use that time to think about the next loading session in the reloading room. You can use this last little mistake for example...actually see yourself in your minds eye doing all the things necessary to get those primers installed...or in this case 'un-installed'. How am I to know which is which, LP or LR...compound color? How am I going to catch them as they come out of the press before they ricochet off into the shag carpet or skip across the concrete under something. Pre-thinking tasks is just like doing tasks but there's no bad results or mistakes when doing it in the minds eye first.
    Think about any way that 'ole Murphy' can trip you up. As to priming, are the primer pockets clean and have no obstructions from cleaning matter, maybe the cases were just received in a shipment you bought here, already clean? Well, did you look inside the case to determine that there wasn't a smaller case lodged inside? How do the rims look, any splits? Do they headspace off the rim or the case mouth, did you measure them?
    Once you think of all the little details in your minds eye and see yourself doing these things, you'll start seeing potential problems in your methodology or in the area you've appropriated to do these tasks...whatever...actually seeing yourself perform these tasks beforehand will become a sort of quality control for you before 'hard and fast habits' form.
    It's a sort of daydreaming about what I'd rather be doing except that I'm paying attention to the details. Sometimes it reminds you that you wanted to stop by the gun shop to pick up something you forgot, or...the dollar store for some bins to get further organized, I think you get the picture here.
    The fellas already mentioned the loading manual, one is absolutely necessary, several are better type thinking here. Without a mentor there hovering over all your first moves you have to rely on the articles you've read in the manuals, they are chocked full of basic information written for all the newbs...and full of info for every level of loader too in that what they say is golden...do not deviate without experience and at least a couple of old handloaders being consulted first. Ask the ones who have 10 fingers and both eyes first...that's a hint that they might know something to stay outa trouble.

Well, nuff said for the time being...getter done there Georgia Boy and stay in touch.

charlie
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

I've used LRP in place of LPP, but load must be reduced by 10%. Can't say I've ever had a problem, maybe I've just been lucky.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by pdumont01 View Post
    I've used LRP in place of LPP, but load must be reduced by 10%. Can't say I've ever had a problem, maybe I've just been lucky.

Large rifle primers are .008" taller than large pistol primers. Primer pockets are different also...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Quote Originally Posted by mdi View Post
    Large rifle primers are .008" taller than large pistol primers. Primer pockets are different also...
    I know they are, but when there are no LPPs around they work. I've used them in Beretta cougar and my glock30s without a problem. In a pinch they work. I'm not telling people to do it, just stating my experience. Same thing with SRP in SPP applications. The 10% charge reduction applies as well.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by randyrat View Post
    Welcome Scuppertrout, hope you don't mind some advice...

Double check everything, label everything, don't memorize, don't depend on memory of what is in your powder measure, keep only one kind of powder/primer on your bench at a time. If in doubt pull/cull the bullets.

Your eyes, fingers and life depend on your safe reloading
    Welcome !! The above is real good advice but I'd like to add one thing to it. That is don't just take one persons word for anything (cept mine) Just because we're on the wizernet doesn't mean we're all a wiz on anything! There's good and bad advice here on this site just do some research and you'll figure it out.
    I'm glad you made the mistake with the primers, it was an easy and pretty much cheap and painless mistake. Please make sure to wear eye protection while depriming those live primers!
    It's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years (Abe Lincoln)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington

I do appreciate all the advice. Randomly grabbed five of the .45s I had reloaded today and they all fired just fine. I was pissed with myself for making the mistake that I made. I did catch it by going over what I had done up to that point. Thank you all again for the advice and chastation.

Don't be too hard on yourself. Just learn from it. This forum is filled with experienced reloaders. The ONLY ​ ones here who haven't made a silly mistake at some point are filthy bald faced liars.

I'll fit right in
    Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6

Quote Originally Posted by Scuppertrout View Post
    I'll fit right in

LOL!

Well, welcome to the forum Jaw-juh. I'm right up the holler from ya in Ten-uhh-see.

Boolit Master
    I once used LRP by mistake loading a few 44mags and had to figure out why the cylinder would not turn , thank god it was only 20 or so , yep I was in a hurry and it took much longer to take them apart than the time I saved by not checking twice . Live and learn only works if you live be safe . By the way welcome aboard .