RepackboxWidenersRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Inline Fabrication Titan Reloading

Thread: Best way to trap coyotes?

Boolit Master

Best way to trap coyotes?

any help would be appreciated,
    Coyotes seem to have taken over in my back 40, a thickly forested mountain, this summer my closest neighbor,next door, lost 2 goats and a few chickhens, all but 1 of the wild rabbits that decimated my garden this spring have dissapeared, and I was waiting till it got cooler to eat them. squirrels have even seemed to dissapeared, no longer hear the wild turkeys squacking in the mornings but we can hear houling coyotes at night.
    anyone with experience trapping coyote what do i need to do, what kind of trap, what bait ect...
    I have a couple of them smallish leg snappin traps the jaws are about 4 to 5 inches wide and 1 of those square type traps that goes over/on top of a woodchuck hole and snaps there neck its about an 8 inch square opening and have a couple double opening live traps that are 12 inches or so opening and about 2 to 3 feet long.
    Or should I put out some bait and blast them if the come by. Problem is I havn't seen them have no idea where they aren nesting or I would have filled them full of lead. after all coyote like hogs are critters in tennessee that you can hunt all year long with no limit.
    Hunting seasons coming up and bambi and buckey and the gang have been visiting my hay fields on a regular schedule, don't need coyote chasing them off b4 my freezers full

Boolit Master

you need to hunt at night and use calls. you can use a dead carcass and place traps all around it, will work until they figure it out and get skittish. the best luck I had was finding their trails and planting the traps on a section that they typically run through, you will need a lot of traps for it to work. they have a den somewhere, if you can find it a little foxtoxin does the trick. remember leg hold traps are illegal so if you use them follow the 3S rule (shoot,shovel, shutup). sometimes you can find a hunter that will come in and hunt them for you, depends on the price of the fur.

First, check your laws. I know here you can't have bait visible from the air if you are trapping. Your best bet might be to ask around and find someone that traps and see if they will do it for you.

Jerry Jr.
    You can't buy experience, but you'll pay for it.

.... but what do I know, I'm just a dumb farmer. ~ My Dad.

NRA LIFE MEMBER Upgraded to Endowment Member 5-23-14

Like Southpaw stated know your laws. and if you are able to use snares. that is one way to get them. If you do not have a loop width . You can go with a 10" one and 10" to 11" from the bottom of the loop off the ground in trails. The ones that you know they are going on. then if it is with in the law to trap the fence line. Check where they craw under it or through it. Check for fur in the fence line. If you can not use snares ,the foothold #3 coil or DL spring will will work . You can put them on drags or X stake them . the stakes are about 18" long of 1/2" rod or rebar. and you can check on You tube for the kind of sets to set. As for the trap you state that is 8" open is good for coon or woodchuck. The way it looks coyote fur will be doing the best out of all the furs.If you have any thing else you like to know PM me and see if I can help . There is one thing remember make sure you bed the footholds solid. that there is no movement when you push down on the trap.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Master

farmbif, if you will be using 'foot hold' traps, the last 2 sentences in the above post are the most important item to remember. The trap cannot move any direction except up to grab the foot/paw. Please do not get impatient or discouraged. Keep trying/experimenting with different ways and areas. Sooner or later you will get the hang of it.
    P S. Wait till it rains or snows, you'll love it!
    Enewetak Atomic Clean Up Veteran 1979

Boolit Master
    thanks, I had time to do some reading and turns out Tennessee has brochure ( https://www.tn.gov/assets/entities/t...otecontrol.pdf ) teaching scent post set technique. I'm going to try both the scent post and try using bait with foot hold traps and snares that I can make with 1/8" aircraft cable sounds like a plan. First I need to find a trail, I have a game camera I need to keep moving till I find trail. I see the deer trails and rabbit trails clearly coyote and coons probably using same paths. Biggest problem is the habitat is ideal for them with much of my property is steep slopes covered with forest, lots of undergrowth and rock cliffs and ledges everywhere. If I can't find a den or trail hopefully bait and scent will work. Thanks for advice I've got a challenge with these crafty critters. It is not legal to shoot deer if you have bait out but these coyotes are a pest like hogs that need to be taken out.

Is hunting over bait for yotes legal for you? Road killed deer makes a wonderful bait carcass where legal. If you can, let them freeze first or you'd be surprised how fast one can disappear. We actually hunted with two DNR guys when I lived in IL. I made sure we always had the police report # for the deer/car accident as I always expected the DNR guys to get squirrely at some point and ask us to prove where we got the deer. But they never did. Call the sheriffs dept and they'll put you on a list to get called when there's an accident.

Hot dogs rolled in Timik, but I think that maybe illegal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

check out Russ Carman's book on fox and coyote trapping, he was from right here in Susquehanna county, PA and was truly the master of the winter hole set and other tricks. Too many details for here but we nail coyotes best with lure in a tiny hole 10" from the edge of a 1 3/4 duke trap along a trail. No bait or carcass and avoid den or feeding areas, bring 'em in by curiosity. Cable restraints work great in the dead of winter. Read about the night latch, which is essentially gunsmithing the trigger of your trap, wax 'em slick and don't worry about your own scent too much. Anyway...Russ Carman.

Boolit Master
    I have a lot to learn here. The only trapping I have done is basically eliminating woodchucks and a couple raccoons that eat the crops. I've hunted and you have to see it before you shoot it, but the yotes I never see. I have seen one and that was more than 10 years ago, kneeling in the field planting tomato plants in the spring, I looked up and there was this coyote staring at me from the edge of the next field over about 300' away.

For snare cable use 7x7 3/32 cable on them and use the 1/8 for extension cable other wise you will be usen too big of a cable. and when you set the trails make sure the coyotes will get tangle up in some thing if your state law will allow it.As for trails look at fence rows and also along the fields look for there foot prints.also there droppings. I use footholds and snares to get them.If your state have a loop law. 8" across will work also to get them. That is the law in this state I am in and still get them.if it is the fence line just go with the craw space you got to go with.and make sure to have them on to some thing solid to that way you will find them.If there is nothing to have them get caught in drive a stake in the ground about 2' away about 6" stiken out of the ground.Unless you use snare that will dispatch them. Other wise you will find them chew the cable and get away.It happeneds but not good.Just PM me and I will let you know if you are not sure on something. Think like a coyote is the best teacher.not one will be the same to get.The smart ones is the hardest to get but can be.If a area was set with foot hold set snares only if possible. But if not do not set your foothold close to what is to draw them to the set.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

I would suggest that you check UTube videos on trapping. Bring up UTube and search "Dirt Hole Set" Scent post set, etc. You will find many video tutorials about trapping Coyotes.

Banned
    I use wire snares but its SSS I use them on my property and after my neighbors wiener dog came up missing she never said another word about me using them and I all ways let her know where they are on my back property.