RepackboxInline FabricationReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
WidenersTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders Jerky Load Data

Thread: Reamer rental experience and recommendations please

Boolit Buddy

Reamer rental experience and recommendations please

deleted
    Last edited by BeeMan; 10-15-2018 at 11:46 AM.

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    Positive for both.
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Boolit Master
    The first reamer I ever rented was from 4D. The service was very good so I continued to use them. Have never been disappointed.
    Some people live and learn but I mostly just live

Boolit Master
    I used a rented reamer from 4D without any issues.

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Vendor Sponsor

Their reamers are mainstream for the most part.

Depending on the specific caliber, and you knowing what your important measurements are; I would ask for a reamer print. Often they don't provide them.

For something special, minimum or with out SAAMI - you will be happier with a reamer print before renting.
    If you can't get one for the rental reamer, most of us just pay for Manson Clymer to grind what we want. It is not that much $$$ in the big picture and a small price to pay compared to all that work you are going to do - only to have the chamber not be what you want.

Best of luck, what ever route you choose !
    Chill Wills

I have been renting from 4D rentals for many years and never had a problem. That said none of the rifles I have rechambered are expensive weapons, mostly single shots and 336s. If I were building a expensive firearm I would buy the reamer I wanted then sell when the rifle was finished.

BB

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I have rented many from Pacific. Good service.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Grand Master

I highly recommend Pacific Tool. http://pacifictoolandgauge.com/

Boolit Buddy
    I have used elk ridge a few times and had no problems.

4D was great. I placed an order, and the tools came a few days later. Just send them back within the time allowed to avoid any extra charges.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I've used Elk Ridge a few times and have no complaints. The last couple of projects I did what BikerB suggests, purchased the reamer/gauges for the project and sold them when I was finished. Net cost was about the same as a rental plus you know you are getting a sharp reamer and you have no time limit on its use.

For one project I posted a WTB listing on this site and a member offered to loan me his reamer!!! I sent him some $$ anyway to cover his shipping and some for the use of the reamer, although he asked for nothing. Can't beat that!

Boolit Mold
    4D. Fred is happy to talk about what you need and get you the proper reamer, even when you "know" you need a different one.

Jeff

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    Do i need any special talents to use a reamer. I have a LW 9mm barrel with a short throat i need to fix.

Boolit Master
    I have bought a few from Clymer's but for the one off jobs i rent from 4D.

Only had one that needed sharpening,put in a note when i sent it back.

Good folks.

Boolit Master

I bought a new 45-90 reamer from Midway and when I didn't need it anymore it brought, on Ebay, just under $16 of the price it cost new. I know of another guy who got back almost as much as he paid for his also and if you check out what they are selling for on Ebay it becomes obvious that common reamers almost always sell for very nearly the new price and occasionally even more than they can be bought for new!!! Selling those things on Ebay seems to almost always get back a price that will leave a net cost of a lot less than rental, but then selling is a bit more of a hassle than simply returning. Still the extra bother of having to list and sell can be offset for most folks by the advantages of having a razor sharp brand new reamer vs a well used rental plus no time limit for returning it.
    Statistics show that criminals commit fewer crimes after they have been shot

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Something to think about. Many think they want a match reamer when they are chambering a rifle. You don't. Get a standard reamer. Tolerances are too tight on a match reamer, unless you are indeed building a benchrest match type rifle. I seem to recall Felix didn't even like a match chamber on his bench guns.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master

Elk Ridge/Pacific Reamers are my preferred go-to spot for reamers to rent. I have purchased reamers in the past but I like the convenience of renting from Elk Ridge for most of my caliber conversion work on rifles.
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by oldred View Post
    I bought a new 45-90 reamer from Midway and when I didn't need it anymore it brought, on Ebay, just under $16 of the price it cost new. I know of another guy who got back almost as much as he paid for his also and if you check out what they are selling for on Ebay it becomes obvious that common reamers almost always sell for very nearly the new price and occasionally even more than they can be bought for new!!! Selling those things on Ebay seems to almost always get back a price that will leave a net cost of a lot less than rental, but then selling is a bit more of a hassle than simply returning. Still the extra bother of having to list and sell can be offset for most folks by the advantages of having a razor sharp brand new reamer vs a well used rental plus no time limit for returning it.
    We think alike.
    Chill Wills

I have al ways just bought mine from Pacific Tool, my projects generally go pretty slow so I am better off to buy them and sell them off in the end. and I don't worry about getting it returned in time. My latest projects has set for 4 mouths and have I have an action a stock and a barrel, but have not ordered a reamer or gauges and it a pretty plain .308 Win.

4D and White Rock have been good to me.