RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataSnyders Jerky
RepackboxTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionReloading Everything
Inline Fabrication Wideners

Thread: Finally 1873 on the way

Boolit Buddy

Finally 1873 on the way

Finally stumbled onto a 1873 44 spcl special sporting 24" to go with my Ruger flattops.
    I know pics!
    Anywho - The plan has always been skitter level loads that performs in all 3 for heavy north deer
    out to 80 +/- yds.
    Gonna try the factory sight and if I can focus enough for the 80 I'll spring for a ladder.
    If not I'll bubba a tang on it and I know I can still hit a barn with a peep.
    Going to start with Unique , HS-6, and WCC820(AA9) speed.
    BAC, Simple green, Ben's red and I have 9 cans of Johnson's and 5 qt's of alox to try.
    Have not measured it yet but hoping my accurate 235V will fly and function in the 1873.
    Also have a pile of other 44 moulds if this is not liked.
    Looking for any and all experiences with the Uberti 44 spcl's.
    I've searched all I can find.

Boolit Master
    Nice rifle. Would like to have one. Saw a writeup some time ago. He used the Keith bullet and it fed fine. Managed to get 1500 fps out of it with 2400 and the 24" barrel.

I have been looking at the 44 Magnum version available now. Havent seen the 44 Special 1873 for a long time.

Boolit Buddy
    I passed on a couple 20"ers and a straight stock 24" - kicked my self on that one but really wanted the pistol grip.
    I have a copy of Brian pearce's article and that is the 1500fps article people reference I believe.
    I'll be happy with 950 pistol and 1250 ish rifle.

Boolit Grand Master
    Wear a brimmed hat with the '73. Hot brass down the shirt is not good. Even worse if your lady shoots it. She will have more exposure.

I had a 20" 1873 in .44 Special for a while. I got rid of it in favor of a 19" 1873 in .44 Magnum. I also shoot LOTS of .44 Special revolvers. Using typical "pistol" powders such as Unique, Power Pistol, Herco, etc., you can expect about 200 fps gain in the velocity revolver vs. rifle. Bump on up to 2400 and the like and you're looking at 250 to possibly 300 fps difference.
    Have fun with you new lever! The Uberti's are just awesome!!

35W
    The biggest waste of time is arguing with the fool and fanatic who doesn't care about truth or reality, but only the victory of his beliefs and illusions.
    There are people who, for all the evidence presented to them, do not have the ability to understand.

NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by 35 Whelen View Post
    I had a 20" 1873 in .44 Special for a while. I got rid of it in favor of a 19" 1873 in .44 Magnum. I also shoot LOTS of .44 Special revolvers. Using typical "pistol" powders such as Unique, Power Pistol, Herco, etc., you can expect about 200 fps gain in the velocity revolver vs. rifle. Bump on up to 2400 and the like and you're looking at 250 to possibly 300 fps difference.
    Have fun with you new lever! The Uberti's are just awesome!!

35W
    Forgot to mention, both my 1873'a fed SWC's...in fact that's all I use. But don't baby them, the harder and faster you run them, the better they feed.
    The biggest waste of time is arguing with the fool and fanatic who doesn't care about truth or reality, but only the victory of his beliefs and illusions.
    There are people who, for all the evidence presented to them, do not have the ability to understand.

NRA Life Member