WidenersInline FabricationReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Load DataSnyders Jerky
Lee Precision Repackbox

Thread: Apple time

Moderator Emeritus

Apple time

Grabbed a peck of apples from the local orchard to can. Harelson which stand up to cooking well. Did these as apples for eating or use in cookies/cakes. I plan on getting 2-3 more pecks for making apple pie filling and maybe more apples for eating/other baking. Please ignore the black stuff on the stove. I was wire brushing an ignitor to try and get it to work better...

Boolit Master

my wifes been busy doing all sorts of apple stuff, jelly's, pie filling, etc. we had some friends out a couple of weekends ago and did 120 gallons of cider in one day. our orchards are pretty much done for around here now.

About the apple pies......we could bring some ice cream!

Boolit Buddy
    mmmm, I'll bring some Cuba cheddar
    Domari Nolo

Banned

found a dozen jars of apples I had canned about 5 years ago. Figured id make something and found a real good easy recipe on line. You take a tube of crescent rolls and unroll it and put it in the bottom of a 9x11 glass baking dish coated with pam or margarine (I was out of pam) Then take some ready made cream cheese pie filling (or make your own like your making a cheese cake) I used ready made because my wife makes the cheese cake. Then spread a quart jar of apple pie filling on top of the cream cheese. then take a second roll of crescents and put it over the top. Melt a 1/2 stick of butter and brush it on top. Sprinkle with cinnamon and brown sugar. Bake for about 30 minutes at 350 or until its nice and brown then let it completely cool. With ready made cream cheese it takes about 5 minutes to throw this together and its to die for. I'm not a big fan of apple pie but this tastes great. Only thing that would make it better is good cream cheese like in a cheese cake. the ready made stuff is kind of whipped and I like it a bit thicker.

Boolit Master

I just picked 7 buckets, 5gallons each, of gravenstine apples, for my wife, DIL, and granddaughter....dale

That sounds pretty good, Lloyd. I'll give it a try next time the granddaughters come over. Plus the ice cream!

Moderator Emeritus

I usually keep an open jar of pie filling in the fridge to make desserts. A favorite is buy some puff pastry and fill with apples, fold over, brush with butter and sprinkle with sugar and cinnamon. Works with canned crescent roll sheets too but I am not a fan of the flavor(tastes chemical to me). Serve either with a dollop of vanilla ice cream or whipped cream!

Moderator Emeritus

Mary, the metal ignitors, not ceramic hot surface ones, clean up best with a $20 bill. Just use any denomination new bill without a lot of wear and it removes the gunk without scratching or gouging the ignitor. Any gouges or changes in depth can reduce the spark intensity.
    Apples look great.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master
    Yumm!!

Moderator Emeritus

That was my first try... it is still very intermittent so I am guessing the mice chewed a hole in the cable to that burner. Getting to them is a major undertaking too. Have to pull the whole top off the stove.

Quote Originally Posted by MT Gianni View Post
    Mary, the metal ignitors, not ceramic hot surface ones, clean up best with a $20 bill. Just use any denomination new bill without a lot of wear and it removes the gunk without scratching or gouging the ignitor. Any gouges or changes in depth can reduce the spark intensity.
    Apples look great.