Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
RepackboxTitan ReloadingWidenersInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2 Reloading Everything

Thread: Dont know what's in it lube

Dont know what's in it lube

I been shooting cast bullets for a long time, all of my life.

I have a lube that I have no idea what is in it. I admit that I'm a lubeahaulic I have made just about every witches brew and combination of most posted on this site and none really worked as well as the old Pope formula I always go back to using.
    A few years ago I dumped another coffee pot full of lube that didn't work to my expectations in the 5 gallon bucket I pour all of my discarded lube in and it was full to the rim of the old mixes.
    I thought Hmmmmmmmm I wonder???? So I cut the bucket away from the lube and stood the 20 year more or less lube on it's end and took a corn knife and quartered it length ways and put one quarter in a stock pot and put the stock pot in a larger pot with water and melted that witches brew down No I didn't mutter a chant when I kept steering the brew
    Well when all was done I set some bullets in a bread loaf pan and poured some of the brew in and let it cool. This is the awfullest looking colored lube. But when I pushed the bullets out of the cake and loaded them I didn't expect to much. I shoot nothing but black powder and my goal is shooting dirty with out fouling control as much as I can GG and PP bullets. Well I shot 20 of these new witches brew lubed bullets at a bowling pin hanging at 200 yards and shot with out controlling the fouling and shattered that pin before I shot all 20 rounds. Lube works great but I cant say what is in it. So I call it Hz-57.
    \The Cowboy shooters have fun on our range and I watch them on and off so I took a bread loaf brick to that shoot once and cut it in 1/2 for them to give out for a prize. It wasn't to long before I was asked if I would donate another brick, he said they want to know what it was made of because it worked so good for their wheel guns I said secret!!!!

Boolit Master

It's probably the ageing of the lube which created the perfect vintage!
    Liberalism is the triumph of emotion over intellect, but masquerading as the reverse.

I don't know how we ever shot maximum loads before P/C come along and saved us all. R5R

"No mosque in the United States flies an American flag."

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Banned

we call it homo-lube.
    I got about 10 lbs of it still. [after lubing about 20-k boolits from the original homogenous mix]
    I just adjust the viscosity a bit here and a bit there by adding Vaseline or more wax as needed.
    but it has about 4-5 waxes, some ozokerite, 3-4 different oil types,[poe/poa/mineral/pag] some middle modifiers, soap solids [stearates] from about 4 different sources, some paratack, a little carnuba, a bit of metal solids, and a bit of ester oil for good measure.

Boolit Master

Homo-lube, , i'll leave that one alone.
    Liberalism is the triumph of emotion over intellect, but masquerading as the reverse.

I don't know how we ever shot maximum loads before P/C come along and saved us all. R5R

"No mosque in the United States flies an American flag."

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Boolit Grand Master

The best lube you ever make is always going to be the one you can't replacate !
    Happens every time.
    The best pot of chili I ever made I forgot to write down the ingredients and now can't do it again.
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    The best lube you ever make is always going to be the one you can't replacate !
    Happens every time.
    The best pot of chili I ever made I forgot to write down the ingredients and now can't do it again.
    Gary
    This 5 gallon bucket full will last me to the happy hunting grounds at my age if I don't give it all away.

Boolit Master
    I know the pain. I purchased a Star sizer with unknown lube in it. Not a clue as to what the lube in it was but I want more. The seller was on this forum in the old days but no one knows what happened to him or if he is still with us.

I have the same problem, I have been saying , oh, this will make it stick better, oh its to soft, i'll add this, and, I heard this is a great additive, so I have a 5lb coffee can and a breadpan full of my ludicris lubricant loaf, ( and that was of the top of my head!) but it works great and the bore looks just as clean after I am done shooting as before! and no smoke either!
    An armed man in a citizen.
    An unarmed man is a subject.
    A disarmed man is a slave.

Boolit Master
    Phil Sharpe mentioned the same thing in his Handloading book. A pistol shooter combined the leftovers from all his experimental lubes and wound up with the best stuff he'd ever tried. He didn't know what he was going to do when he ran out.

I guess if one took careful notes and could estimate the approximate quantities, a "reverse engineering" could get close to the mixture. My old Mentor in Formulations called mixtures with a lot of redundant ingredients "fruitcake formulas," sort of like the "inspiration soup" where the cook threw everything he had into it.

Boolit Grand Master
    I've heard variations on this story several times. I guess what it really goes to show is that the basic materials used in all lubes will get you pretty close to perfect and the rest seems to be just plain dumb luck! I still like to make my lubes under the new moon at midnight, though!

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master
    Froggie,

You do walk widdershins around the pot as it's cooking, too, I hope. Absolutely mandatory for "the Ultimate in Accuracy."

what the heck is widdershins?!!?!
    An armed man in a citizen.
    An unarmed man is a subject.
    A disarmed man is a slave.

Boolit Master
    I think it's counterclockwise. If they ever do a Sticky entitled "Boolit Lube Esoterics," I'll look it up and confirm.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Oklahoma Rebel View Post
    what the heck is widdershins?!!?!
    wid·der·shins
    ˈwidərˌSHinz/
    adverbSCOTTISH

[COLOR=#878787 !important]

• in a direction contrary to the sun's course, considered as unlucky; counterclockwise.

[/COLOR]
    My feedback page if you feel inclined to add:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

Thanks Yall!