Load DataRepackboxSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
RotoMetals2 Lee Precision

Thread: Need advice on best mold for 45-70

Boolit Bub

Need advice on best mold for 45-70

I’m a long time shooter and reloader – and have done a reasonable amount of sizing and lubing. But I am completely new to casting. I now need to get into casting because I want a certain kind of bullet that I don’t think I’m going to get any other way. At least not at a cost I can afford to pay.

I’ve tried to do some research on this and have found some answers but I’d like to bounce the information I have off people who know a lot more about it than I do. I need advice from experienced casters.

To start with the bullet I want is for my .45-70 rifle and the use will essentially be for side matches at CAS shoots so velocities will be low (1200 – 1400 fps).

I have several 45-70’s and I do realize that final sizing of the bullet might vary slightly depending on the bore but I have a Star Magma sizer so that’s not an issue. I can size and lube as I choose and depending on what a particular rifle likes.

I’d like to go with about a 405 grain bullet, 458-459 dia, flat nose, bevel base, and preferably 4 lube grooves and a crimp groove – although I’d settle for 3 lube grooves and a crimp groove. I’m definitely open to advice on the grooves. The closest mold I’ve found so far is the Lyman 457193DW. A friend of mine has one and it has 4 grooves but no bevel base. He does not know what the “DW” stands for. According to what he tells me he uses 3 of the grooves for lube and one for crimp. This is not something I know much about which is why I’m asking for advice.

So given the style of bullet I want can anybody give me some advice on the best mold to get? The Lyman 457193DW is apparently a decent mold – but are there any better? Would a custom mold be better? I don’t mind spending the money to get a really good mold because that’s what is going to give me a good bullet. Also, the Lyman is a single cavity mold. I understand that in some cases a single cavity mold is considered better – but in other instances I see molds with 2 or 4 or even 6 cavities. A 4 or 6 cavity mold might be a bit much for bullets this size, but I’d like to get at least a 2 cavity – unless that is not a good idea. As I said, I don’t know much about casting, and perhaps if casting precision rifle bullets it is best to stay with a single cavity.

I have some questions in regards to alloy as well, but have posted that as a new thread in the appropriate section of the forum.

Thanks for taking the time to read this, and I appreciate any thoughts or advice.

Boolit Master

I would go with Accurate Molds and get exactly what you want (providing that you do know what you want.) I have always had good success with him.

Also, if you want, I do cast for people using their molds. Prices would usually be the same as similar bullets on my website.

1972, not trying to be jerk but there is a lot of conversations about which mold for a 45/70. I too am looking for one as I just got a Marlin 1895. Here's a few that I found in the search. Hopefully there's something that you can use that will help.

Best bullets/mould for 45/70

I have a NEF/H&R handi rifle in 45/70 and want to reload w/BP. ... WOuld appreciate input on the "best" bullets & moulds along with the ...
    castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?140167...mould...45-70

Best 405+ gr 45-70 mold in production?

I want to cast some .460 405gr or heavier 45-70 bullets but am stumped at what mold to get. Ill be pan lubing these boolits. It seems that ...
    castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?185281...45-70-mold...

Best 405+ gr 45-70 mold in production? [Archive] - Cast Boolits
    I want to cast some .460 405gr or heavier 45-70 bullets but am stumped at what mold to get. Ill be pan lubing these boolits. It seems that everyone is sold out of ...
    castboolits.gunloads.com/archive/index.php/t-185281.html

Ranch Dog 350 gr 45-70 mould

I have heard a lot of praise on here about the 350 gr ranch dog 45-70 wide meplat mould. I would really like to pick one up. Does anyone know ...
    castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?205707...45-70-mould

NOE 460-378 and the NOE 460-425, 45-70 Molds

Good evening, picking up a new 1895G 45-70 tmrw and am looking at both of these molds for future casting. I know a lot of folks cast with the ...
    castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?...460...45-70-Molds

.45-70 smooth sided mold

Request for advise: I hope to make a smooth sided paper patching mold for a .45- 70. Basic .458 dimensions from slugging. Chances are I'll be ...
    castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?313183-45-70...mold

cast size for 45-70

I want to buy my own mold but find they are generally under bore size. Jacketed bullets for 45-70 are .458. Why are most molds .457?
    castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?16887-cast-size...45-70

Mold For Marlin .45-70

Hey, I am just getting into casting and have some questions on finding a good mold for my new .45-70 Marlin. Its chamber is sitting at .459 ...
    castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?315344-Mold-For...45-70

NOE 460-378 and NOE 460-425 45/70 molds

Just bought a new Marlin 1895G. Has anyone has any experience with these molds? I would really like to order the NOE 460-405 but Al said it ...
    castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?307623...45-70-molds

Lee 405 HB 45-70

I have a Lee 405 Gr. 45-70 mold that I have been using in my Trapdoor and Browning 1886 45-70 with some success. However, I have been ...
    castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?71289-Lee-405...45-70

Boolit Grand Master

Alot is going to depend on several things here. 10 Rifle type. marlins and some lever actions are limited to overal length ruling out long heavy bullets. 2) rifling twist rate. 1-18 works well with the heavier bullets 1-20 with the lighter shorter bullets. Some are going to 1-16 now also. 3) distances you want to shoot and energy required at the target. For shilouettes that have to be knocked over then a certain level of energy is needed at the target. For swingers enough energy to produce a good swing and ring is needed. A post in wanted for bullets in the range your interested in may provide some test samples in various weights lengths and nose styles. I have had good mid range results (500 yds) with the lyman 535 grn postell, 500 grn 457125 510 grn round nose and a Old west mould for 550 grn shilouette model in my 45 cal rifles (45-70 and 45-90 ) with BP loads around 1150-1200 fps velocity. I havent worked much with the lighter bullets. A freind did well witht he Lyman 480 grn scmitzer desighn in his rolling block. Think along the 430 grn to 550 grn range to start. Also a softer bullet may perform better in these rounds, I cast at 20-1 lead tin alloy for my bullets Pan lube with either SPG or emmerts improved. If you put the post up on swapping and selling for test bullets ( 15-25 can tell you alot on how the bullet performs) and get the one you like you then also have mould maker mould number and all the specifics to order the mould or have it replicated by a custom maker. I use alot of single cavity moulds but do have several double cavity moulds from Old West also for High use bullets. One thing to keep in the back of your mind. A double cavity 550 grn mould with sprues around 1200-1300 grns per fill really empties a 10 or 20 lb pot quick. LOL Even a 4 cavity 405 grn mould is going to dump the pot quickly.

~ Saeco 023 ~ (.458-.459 diameter) ~ 375 grain ~ flat base ~ spitzer point ~

Works very well for Trapdoor Springfield and a joy to cast, size and lube.

Tried the 405 grain Lee hollow base mold and despised working with it...
    A bear, however hard he tries, grows tubby without exercise.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Tried the 405 grain Lee hollow base mold and despised working with it...
    The Lee 405 HB works for me and I have 41 different 45-70 molds from different vendors!
    Regards
    John

Boolit Bub
    Thanks guys. Lots to ponder. I've been reading through the above and making some lists. Given the rifling (1:20) and the lever action length I think the 405 grain bullet is about the best middle of the line choice. May try the Lee to start and if it works well I'll custom order a 2 cavity mold for that bullet. If one was having a custom mold made anyway, is there any reason why a BB might not be a good idea? No real need for it but I thought it just might make working with it easier.

Now I have to figure out the best alloy to use and have some questions on that - but I'll do that on another thread in the appropriate section of this forum.

Boolit Master

Just a couple of comments.
    I would not be afraid of a custom multiple cavity mold. Tolerances of custom molds are much better than mass produced, giving excellent cavity to cavity results.
    If you have a Marlin with a microgroove barrel,your bullet diameter may need to be .460 to .462". Also the fatter the bullet needs to be, the more the bevel base makes sense when seating boolits.
    I am seating some .462 powder coated bullets and I am getting lead shaving even with a generous bell on the case.
    To get the best results you may need to ladle cast. With ladle casting the argument is you can get the lead into the mold cavity quicker than a bottom pour pot thus getting better mold fill out.

Boolit Mold
    Sorry, but it reads like you're giving advice on the 45-70?
    Plinking..300 FB
    Hunting... 400 GC
    Hurting your friends Shoulder.. 505 gr FB

Being there be several 45/70s here, I have 1-2 molds for each one of them.
    The 1895 Marlin uses the pill that was designed for the 1895.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sketch.jpg 
Views:	247 
Size:	95.0 KB 
ID:	177856
    I have sworn on the altar of GOD eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.
    Thomas Jefferson

" Any law that is NOT constitutional is not a law" James Madison

Boolit Bub
    wv109323 - as far as I know (I don't have the rifle in my hands yet - its' on the way) Marlin used a more traditional type of rifling in these rifles. Not the micro groove. that being said, it would likely still be a good idea to slug the barrel to see what would work best.

Also, I meant to say the LYMAN mold is what I'll try first to see how it works. That's the Lyman 457193

Wolftrap - I would drop to a lighter bullet for CAS shooting but I'm not sure the 1:20 rifling would work with it.