Reloading EverythingInline FabricationRepackboxLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingWideners
Lee Precision
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Let's talk 7.62x54r

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by vzerone View Post
    That's a mighty tall order from splashing all 4 corners and everything inbetween to 3 inch groups.
    depends how you look at it at 50 yards im at 2 moa 100 yards its closer to 6 then 200 opens way up.
    Im thinking a few things might be happening bullet is destabilizing as it slows down or im getting in consistent case expansion or velocity variations all over the place.
    I finally am restocked on powder so I can get back to it. Lapua case , Winchester LR 314299 drops at .314 and I use 2500 lube.
    Time to break out the crony this time and find that nice spot in the powder charge. Will try H4895 and 2400 again. Trail boss is fun soft loads but im not getting the results in any of my cast loads as good as 2400 or H4895

Banned

Yes you definitely need to try different powders. I had success with 4350 and the Lyman 314299.

Boolit Grand Master

Also be advised, in the previous posted targets, I was shooting for score.....not group. The wind will move the bullet around quite a bit. Those targets are the NRA 600 yard reduced for 100 and 200 yard matches. They were shot in a CBA match which I won.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    Also be advised, in the previous posted targets, I was shooting for score.....not group. The wind will move the bullet around quite a bit. Those targets are the NRA 600 yard reduced for 100 and 200 yard matches. They were shot in a CBA match which I won.
    That's some great shooting.
    I'm only shooting local cmp games.
    SR target which is a 3moa ten ring. The 9ring is 13" at 200 yards. So basically if I can keep them inside the 9 ring and splash more 10s with the mosin I can at least post a decent score. If I'm looking to try and "win" I shoot the 1903a3 or the K31 and pray my off hand holds together!

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by smokeywolf View Post
    straphanger, the 311413 doesn't usually yield good accuracy above 1600 FPS.
    Agreed, that's the impression I have from what I have read. Which is why I'm at 10 gr of Red Dot. I don't have a chronograph, I'm estimating the velocity is around 1350.

Boolit Master
    Ok I admit I didn't read 4 pages of replies.

Jacketed bullets: Hornady .312" 150gr PSP and Hornady .312" 174gr RN

Cast boolit: Lee 160gr 2R TL powder coated (started with tumble lube) no gas check for sub-sonic, Hornady copper gas check for super sonic.

Powder: 150gr Jacketed, (M39 Finn) IMR-4320 and IMR-4895 accuracy is easily less than 2" at 100 yards.

Powder: 174gr Jacketed, (M39 Finn) IMR-4831 and IMR-3031 again accuracy is top notch.

Powder: Cast boolit: sub-sonic, Bullseye

Powder: Cast boolit: super sonic, Unique and 2400

We have 3, M39s all 3 are very accurate. My 91-30 shoots the jacketed .312" 174s well. It also shoots the cast boolits good too but I size them larger for the Russian bore.

My son has taken 2 whitetail buck with his M39 and the .312" 150s in excess of 200 yards. (263 and 220) both were one shot kills. Both of the other 2 M39s Have taken deer too.

We have informal matches shooting the sub-sonic cast boolits at 50 yards on a 8" steel swinger. The fun factor is off the scale. The practice it provides is priceless.

Motor

PS: I never had any luck with Trail Boss in the 54R and know very few people who have. I don't know why.
    Last edited by Motor; 12-12-2017 at 05:07 AM.

I have a 91/30 Russian, which I thought captured all the beauty of a "Ballerina" in combat boots (no sexist remark intended for those so inclined to take offense). However, when I shot this 29" albatross I was amazed how well it shot, balanced, and functioned. It's cases looked weird with their odd shaped rim and my barrel "slugged" right at .312, so I found a set of dies and Sierra .311 jacketed bullets. I found mine also shot the Russian (Bear?) steel cased 204gr very well and seemed to like the heavier bullets. My best load to date is 50.0gr of IMR4350 with a 180gr Sierra .311 bullet (Caution - my load only, work up carefully!). I haven't shot any animal with the 91, but an acquaintance uses his every deer season with the factory Russian "stuff" and has "made meat" every year for the last five years. I've got a Lee mold that casts 185gr bullet, but I've not experimented enough to find the best load for my rifle. I'd love to get my hands on a Finnish 91; I understand they are "grooved" for .308 bullets and are very well made. The 91/30 has made me a believer, "that you can't judge a book by its cover". I did see an article where one "Dude" dressed up the 91/30 with a Boyd stock and made it into a "Hemingway Express Rifle" for not a lot of dollars; now that really changes the "combat boots" picture.

Boolit Master
    "I did see an article where one "Dude" dressed up the 91/30 with a Boyd stock and made it into a "Hemingway Express Rifle" for not a lot of dollars; now that really changes the "combat boots" picture."

To me a Mosin Nagant in anything other than it's original (or reconditioned) stock is butt ugly.

Motor

LOOONG time lurker (decade now?) first time post.

Anyone out there casting for an SVT-40? I have a nice Fin M39 and a nice slightly crusty bored SVT40. The 40 has had a VERY bad day before with surplus that was inconsistent from round-round (smashed all the springs into the bolt)
    and I've decide I should look into something much more consistent from round to round. Interested if anyone else has done this.

st

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by squidtamer View Post
    LOOONG time lurker (decade now?) first time post.

Anyone out there casting for an SVT-40? I have a nice Fin M39 and a nice slightly crusty bored SVT40. The 40 has had a VERY bad day before with surplus that was inconsistent from round-round (smashed all the springs into the bolt)
    and I've decide I should look into something much more consistent from round to round. Interested if anyone else has done this.

st
    You do know that the SVT 40 has an adjustable gas piston? Up on the gas block protruding from the front of it is a pent shape nut. There is an index mark on the housing. The are marked in numbers. Larger the number the more gas and harsher the bolt gets thrown back. Some of that surplus must have been HOT!! Adjusting the gas for the particular ammo you are using would be better. Be warned it requires a special wrench to turn that plug. Don't do it with pliers.

Quote Originally Posted by vzerone View Post
    You do know that the SVT 40 has an adjustable gas piston?....... Some of that surplus must have been HOT!!
    yes yes, of course. Had the thing many a year now. But, it only takes 1. Was shooting a rather stiff recoiling polish yellow painted ball ammo can. One hit me like a stumpy 12gauge, that was all it took.
    This was a while back. She's been a safe queen since I got the Fin quite by accident. Poor fellow didn't know what he had and I took pity on him and brought it home.

While I weigh all my reloads for safety on the ole' single state, never thought I'd have to do it for surplus. On a lark I weight several thousand russian, yugo (M67 short), polish, and a few others. Mostly very very consistent. But I did find one 8mm that was **** near 30% heavier. So I pulled a couple and it was almost a double (wasn't enough case capacity to truly double) but it was definitely a compressed load. Glad I did that.

Since sold all the 8mm rifles, ammo and dies. Was getting hard to come by anyway and I'm slowly whittling the number of calibers down.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234