Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingRepackboxLee PrecisionReloading Everything
Wideners
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Let's talk 7.62x54r

Boolit Master

Let's talk 7.62x54r

I am getting around to finally developing rounds for my M39s and one M27.
    I have loaded cartridges w/ 4895, 4350, 4759, n140, RL15
    Bullets are all JSP Speer 150gr and 180gr
    To be loaded:
    Powder: Varget and 4064
    Boolits: Lee 180gr
    Jwords: 147gr Silver tips-pulled and 147gr steel core spire points-pulled

Also have Promo that I would like to use for gallery loads.

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    To nit pick for just a moment, how 7.65x53R became 7.62x54R over here is beyond me,,,,,,,

LOVE my 91/30, especially with reduced loads of 10B101, I need to get a round tuit for a good cast hunting load.
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Boolit Master
    haha depends on what brass is in my hand, the PPU or the Lapua

Same thing happened with the Belgian/Argentine 7.65x53mm/7.65x54mm. Somebody's calipers are out of whack?

So, 9w1911, how are you going to go about this? One great day at the range firing off all those loads, taking careful notes and deciding which to develop further? Or more of a gradual thing? I, for one, will be looking forward to any results you have to post and the specifics of the best loads.
    I see that you're going to be using JSP bullets. I've got (like you) M-39s (plural) and one M-27, but have never gotten around to doing much with them.

Boolit Master
    Yep, as always, taking some notes, looking for good groupings and pressure signs. I will post my results.

I have a lot of JSP and steel core jacketed, but I plan on casting for these as well.

Boolit Master
    I'm in the same boat just starting to work up some loads for my '42 91/30 referbed Izzy. Sierra .311 150 grain condum bullets over 55 grains of IMR4350 was a bruiser but showed promise. The same load with .308 pull downs was all over the place. I just picked up some H414 and will start at 46 grains and work up using the same Sierra 150 grain bullet.
    for cast 50yd plinkers I've tried a .311 100 grain boolit over 5-6 grains of BE86 and have just picked up some .312 115 grain cast. The .311 100 grain boolet wasn't very accuate and am hoping for better with the heavier one.
    Slug you barrel, they can be all over the place.

Boolit Master

The 7.62x54R and 7.62x53R are the same round. The 7.62x43R was created in Finland after they rebarreled a bunch of captured Russian Mosin Nagants to .308 bore (instead of the .312 or so that's common in pre-WWII production Mosins). They redesignated the ammunition to cut down on problems from using the Russian sized bullets in the American sized bores, since they also had scads of unmodified captured rifles. Either case can be used in rifles of either designation, depending on the bullets loaded. If it's factory loaded ammunition, you can use the 53R safely in either rifle (accuracy will suffer in the 54R pieces), but should avoid using the 54R ammunition in the 53R rifles.

Boolit Master
    My bores are: m27 .310, M39's all are .310, and my 1946 M44 is .312

Sounds like you got the pick of the litter. LOL My old Polish 39 slugs 305X316

Boolit Master
    I settled on a 150gr JSP for hand loads in my mosin using H4895. Its in original configuration, so the 174gr match doesnt make much difference. But a good hunting round if there was ever need and no need to clean it after 1 shot like with the surplus.

I had experimented with cast alot, mostly subsonic. I tried a 200gr lyman I have, and a 198gr NOE, even the 247gr blackout NOE worked in it. Problem I ran into was the 2 mosins I had at the time, one was really nice I was unwilling to modify it, or put a scope on it. The other the barrel was burned out. I got another one working to day, a Fin made rifle with a really nice bore. So will go back to working on some cast loads for it. So how hard I can push those 200gr lymans powder coated, and a nice subsonic load. I tired the 247gr full power, may have been that clunker rifle, but they wouldn't even hit the target.

Boolit Master
    Anyone here loading that cartridge for the Model '95 Russian Contract Winchesters?
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gpidaho View Post
    Sounds like you got the pick of the litter. LOL My old Polish 39 slugs 305X316
    I paid though, not one of those were under 400.00, some folks just wont pay that for a Mosin.

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    Quote Originally Posted by smokeywolf View Post
    Anyone here loading that cartridge for the Model '95 Russian Contract Winchesters?
    *That* is one unicorn I would very much like to own,,,,,,

This has been a great thread, I may have to get the Mosin out!
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Boolit Master
    I had the time to mess with some loads today, subsonic. I am using the NOE 230gr .311 blackout mold, powder coating them, sized .311. I have a pile of solo 1000 so what I have been using in all my subsonic. Still going to take me forever to use it up. Place I went had an 8lbs keg, showed where I could use it in all sorts of ammo. Works good for 38 plinking ammo, my 45 ACP guns.

I had been using these loads in my other mosin, but the throat is burned out. I could push them way out and get into the rifling, they were decently accurate. But temperamental, one day it shot good, next time it didn't. Now Im using a Fin mosin I picked up for $50. All my data was out the window, as shortening them for a proper throat pushed up the velocities. But gave me a place to start.

I have them just barely in the rifling when you close the bolt, but come out to 3.060in, fortunately the magazine in a mosin has plenty of room. Started at 8.8gr of S1000 was a bit faster than I like for sub use at 1043fps. So started knocking them back to try and get below 1000. 8.0 gr got me 990fps, but the ES started going up. I had it down to 3.23ES at 8.6gr and 1027FPS. 8.4gr got me 5.53ES and 1014FPS, so will probably go with that load.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010183.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	102.8 KB 
ID:	177676
    Thats 15rds at 25yds as I was testing the loads.

I looked thru my data books, I have gotten that Noe 230gr up to 1818 FPS w 32gr of 4198, and 1887fps w 34gr of R7.

Boolit Master
    I spent some time at the bench with the chrony. Guess Im fortunate as I can load a couple walk out the back door, shoot em, vs driving to a range to find out.

Bullets are funny, the 230gr that does so well at 1000fps, sucks going fast. I could get em up to 2200fps, but not stable. But the 200gr lyman .311 works fine. Powder coated using IMR4198 I can get them 2214fps with a 14.6ES, and stay accurate. Doesnt take much to mess them up, I tried some questionable brass (pulled bullets from them so neck tension varied) and the ES went way up.

I am only running a 17in barrel. I built it to run a can, a full length mosin gets a bit unwieldy that long. At that length using standard Mosin data I can only get another 75fps out of a 150gr jacketed as I can that 200gr cast. So went lighter, 123gr, used faster powders to compensate for the barrel. Data I can find for what I have is 5744, 4198, R7, benchmark. 34gr of 5744 got me 2539FPS avg, but 210.6ES. IMR 4198 seems to be the one giving 2668FPS avg at 39gr, w 60.22ES. I can get another 100fps with benchmark but 199fps ES. So will give up the velocity for the accuracy. Also is less powder so less muzzle blast.

Banned

that 230gr is slumping

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by 9w1911 View Post
    I paid though, not one of those were under 400.00, some folks just wont pay that for a Mosin.
    hello,i have a mn and will be following this post to get tips about reloading for her.I have a never issued full numbers matching 1955 polish beauty.She and her sisters were found in Poland stashed in a forgotten armory.Took me forever to clean the cosmoline off and out of her as she was wrapped and loaded with the stuff.On a condition scale its a 10 out of 10.Never shot ever except by me.Paid approx. 80 u.s.d. in the 1990,s for her.Fantastic find.

Boolit Master
    Very nice on the '55!

Boolit Mold
    Thanks.It actually looks a lot better in person ,you would think it just came off the assembly line.It will stay with me forever and if my grandson ever is interested it will be willed to him,along with the p17 and the weatherby shotgun.

Boolit Master

Polish MNs

hello,i have a mn and will be following this post to get tips about reloading for her.I have a never issued full numbers matching 1955 polish beauty.She and her sisters were found in Poland stashed in a forgotten armory.
    I bought one for my son as it was the perfect size for him when he was learning to shoot. It proved to be just that with cast boolits. Ours must have come from the same stash in Poland as yours. Ours was also unfired and came with a cleaning kit, oil and solvent bottles, sling and other accouterments for a hundred dollar bill. It's a great shooter and its fit, finish, bluing and top-of-the-line quality is not to be matched by today's factories. There's not a tool mark on ours and the bluing looks like a Pre-64 Winchester. They truly are the Cadillacs of the MN linage. Ours was made in 1953.

Other than using .312" or .314" diameter cast boolits in it, I load for it like I do the 308 Winchester as far as powder charges. The short neck, like the 308 Winchester, leaves lube groves exposed, but as long as I keep the rounds in a sealed container until shooting, that's no real problem.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Polish M44-800-90%.jpg  
    Last edited by Scharfschuetze; 10-07-2016 at 12:57 PM.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast