Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Load DataReloading Everything
Inline FabricationRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Titan Reloading Wideners
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Best reasonably priced 22-250 for the wife?

Quote Originally Posted by 6bg6ga View Post
    Reasonably priced...I'm talking 1K-2K. No non-wood stocks. Still wanting a real wood stock non-Savage, non Walmart heavy barrel rifle for target shooting only.
    Kimber 84 Varmint or Super America would be at the lower end of your range ($1,100 to $1,200 ish wo/scope) Cooper Classic would be near the upper end of your range LGS has them in the $1,700 range.

Boolit Master

I looked on the Sako website and it looks like their Varmint model with blued steel comes with a genuine walnut stock. I have the Varmint model that was made prior to the 75 and it is a good shooter. The model 85 action is even nicer. If you can find one, it should run under $1800.

You only live once...

-Butchman

Quote Originally Posted by Ickisrulz View Post
    I looked on the Sako website and it looks like their Varmint model with blued steel comes with a genuine walnut stock. I have the Varmint model that was made prior to the 75 and it is a good shooter. The model 85 action is even nicer. If you can find one, it should run under $1800.
    X2!

-Butchman

Banned
    Can't find what she wants so on to plan "B" will build one from scratch and have her buy the action, barrel, and stock she wants. She can do it in stages so it won't hurt as bad as putting out all the cash at once.

Excellent plan. Little tedious, but the result is going to be excellent.
    --------
    SISU

Quote Originally Posted by 6bg6ga View Post
    Can't find what she wants so on to plan "B" will build one from scratch and have her buy the action, barrel, and stock she wants. She can do it in stages so it won't hurt as bad as putting out all the cash at once.
    That sounds like fun and she will get HER RIFLE. We must see it when it's complete. Best, Thomas.

Boolit Buddy
    Buy a used 10/12 savage and build it yourself.
    Lots of bbl makers and the triggers aren't bad.

Banned
    The only thing I would purchase with the Savage name on it woud be a cheap 22 long rifle. Looking for a better action like a remington 700 or 40-X receiver.

Boolit Buddy
    Remington 700's aren't that much mo' better in the specs department, but they look better than them ugly savages!

Banned
    I would like to find a Remington X-40 action. I'm not finding much out there in the line of actions without a barrel. Savage absolutely isn't on my list and never will be. The 700 actions aren't bad for the money.

Boolit Buddy
    You may have to buy a beater 40X complete rifle for the action, lol. People tend to hold onto them when they get them, and when a 40X sells...it sells pretty high. Go with the 700 Action. Properly put together by a good smith, and you won't really be able to shoot the possible difference between the two!

Return to post #39 - we're making progress!

Boolit Bub
    If you have ANY Brains you will buy her a nice rifle and scope!

Tikka T3 is nice; but consider....They also make that 8 twist .223..... That is a more versatile rifle due to the heavy bullet opportunities. Lighter recoil, load the bthp for
    longrange varminting... Longer barrel life... About half the powder charge to get very respectable velocities.

If your girl is new to centerfire rifle shooting the .223 might not get 4,000fps; but neither does it need to. Get the .223rem and then you can get her an AR-15!

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by B. Lumpkin View Post
    You may have to buy a beater 40X complete rifle for the action, lol. People tend to hold onto them when they get them, and when a 40X sells...it sells pretty high. Go with the 700 Action. Properly put together by a good smith, and you won't really be able to shoot the possible difference between the two!
    Where are them "beater" Remington 40x's at anyways? Always heard about some guy found a crate of 40x's in his uncle's barn; next to the new in the crate Korean era Jeep CJ....

Unlikely to find any 40x under a grand, and then looking at another $600 for a barrel job. Puts you in the league of the Tikka T3 Master Sporter which is match ready. The T3 tactical and varmints are in the same league. A really nice intro level rifle, long out of production, is the Winchester Heavy Varmint which was made in .22-250. Great Wilson stainless match barrel and H-S Precision stock on Marksman forend design.

For what likely to spend on rehabbing a 40x, could build a real custom and have something for years to come.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by edward hogan View Post

Tikka T3 is nice; but consider....They also make that 8 twist .223..... That is a more versatile rifle due to the heavy bullet opportunities. Lighter recoil, load the bthp for
    longrange varminting... Longer barrel life... About half the powder charge to get very respectable velocities.

If your girl is new to centerfire rifle shooting the .223 might not get 4,000fps; but neither does it need to. Get the .223rem and then you can get her an AR-15!
    I just couldn't resist posting when you said "If I have any brains you would buy her a nice rifle and scope!" Well, first of all you can keep your Tikka's. The wife and I looked at them and we weren't impressed. First, everyone of them had a very small barrel and that isn't good if a person wishes to go prairie dog hunting.

Met with a friend that happens to own one of these marvelous Tikka rifles. Got to shoot the gun and wasn't pleased with the accuracy. At its best with hand loads it managed a 1-1 1/2" group at 100 yards. Looking for better accuracy than that.

Since I haven't been back to this thread for a while I will share with you the results of my find. Got a 700BDL with bipod, match barrel, 1lb trigger assembly, and 20 power scope. That was rifle number 1. The second rifle we purchased is a 700BDL with a Boyd's stock and the above niceties.

Took rifle number 1 to the range and with first hand loads managed a easy group of 3/4" . Second load it went down to a little over 5/8" Haven't tried rifle #2 yet.

Would have gladly paid 2K or more for a decent 40X and still would pass on the Tikka.

Pictures...will post pictures when I remember to purchase batteries.

Banned

My wife of 44 years happens to own (3) AR-15's. One in 5.56/.223, and two 300 blackouts along with a 45acp carbine.

She is amazing to watch. She will sit at the bench positioned like an expert and usually shoot as well as someone who has 50 years under their belt or simply outshoot them.

I would say Ruger #1. I have owned them in 6mm and 22 250. Both shoot great. Much better than the Browning B78.

Boolit Buddy
    Where are them "beater" Remington 40x's at anyways? Always heard about some guy found a crate of 40x's in his uncle's barn; next to the new in the crate Korean era Jeep CJ....

Unlikely to find any 40x under a grand, and then looking at another $600 for a barrel job. Puts you in the league of the Tikka T3 Master Sporter which is match ready. The T3 tactical and varmints are in the same league. A really nice intro level rifle, long out of production, is the Winchester Heavy Varmint which was made in .22-250. Great Wilson stainless match barrel and H-S Precision stock on Marksman forend design.

For what likely to spend on rehabbing a 40x, could build a real custom and have something for years to come.
    A beater 40X action will run you $800. I guess the term beater is relative to the value of the item being referred to as a beater. Kind of like buying a beater SAA, which will cost you $800-$1,000, lol.

Banned
    I would have shelled out $800 for a 40X action or 2K for a decent 40X but I'm happy with what we purchased.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast