Snyders JerkyInline FabricationRepackboxReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
RotoMetals2 Load Data
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Cheap containers you use for stuff?

I use zippered bank bags for loose rounds, Coffee cans for loaded rounds and Power Ade bottles for cast slugs.

Quote Originally Posted by William Yanda View Post
    At first look I thought you were talking about the Homer Buckets visible to the right of the chair!
    Nope those buckets are polishing media and sifter for the vibrating brass polisher on the floor. Boxes I like for brass are on the bookshelf on the far left.
    Sort of have a system, brass on left, operations in middle, finished product on right. I do keep lubed and ready to go bullets under the bench, along with some brass. Bulk storage of cast is in the ammo cans on the right.

If you look close you can see I have a large and medium bread loaf pan on the right side of the bench top, I was putting a clean up chamfer on the bottom of some cast bullets, the big pan is full of bullets, the small one is where the trimmings fall into or culls get dropped. There is a pile of bullets on a Folgers can lid, and in the Folgers can next to it. Tells me I was doing 303 British and sorting the plain base from gas check since the mold does both. There is also a couple of bread loaf pans under the right side, just above the polisher. Those are lubed and ready 45 and 44 caliber cast. 38's are on the other side in bread loaf pans hidden by the chair. The pans are ok for shorter term lubed bullet storage but lacking a cover I don't like them for longer term but they are great next to a press, easy to pick up from. Long term goes into zip lock bags and into the ammo cans or coffee cans or sometimes back into the bread loaf pans just inside a bag.

I am jealous of that massive red Folgers coffee can collection in the picture. I have several and I would even have said a lot but I'm telling you that there is a picture of a LOT-O-CANS!
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Master

If you know any muscle folks ask them for a couple of those protein powder containers. Excellent plastic. The creatine containers are very useful but smaller.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
    Ruger RedHawk 357 Mag 44 Mag GP100 Davidson Exclusive 5" Security Six 2 3/4", Speed Six 4"
    Smith Wesson 629 PP and 686 PP, 617

Ive been using the large protein powder containers to store brass,works great and has a wide mouth.
    "Make things as simple as possible, but no simpler" Albert Einstien

Boolit Master
    Ice cream tubs ,screw cap plastic washing powder tubs and the plastic Tupperware type containers that Chinese take always come in .plastic bags to keep lubed boolits in by weight and keep the dust out.

Boolit Master
    Medicine plastic containers, cake tins, the little test strip bottles for diabetics, potatoe salad and macaroni salad,and cole slaw containers. Have been known to check out the trash bins at the range for the plastic containers that black powder shooters use for the pre compressed powder charges and bullets. And for brass that's been sorted good old freezer baggies. Frank

Boolit Grand Master

I thought for a minute that Slim had posted a picture of my storeroom! That looks like my brass stash. I also use the plastic bowls that they issue you in the hospital to sort brass or segregate brass that is being processed.

Aw man, I'll use just about anything with a lid on it for storing brass. I even save the plastic trays that frozen single meals come in, those are real handy on the reloading bench for brass, bullets an primers, and on the gun bench for parts, cleaners, and oil trays for refinishing stocks.

I've got all kinds of containers, my wife thinks I'm some kind of plastic hoarder freak. Maybe I am.....

Boolit Man
    Breyers Gelato containers are not too tall and are wide & flat enough and are just right for cast bullet storage

all sizes of Folgers plastic coffee containers are good for all kinds of storage

don’t get many metal coffee cans these days, they are still good to go

I open cans w/ a side lip cutter so no sharp edges also called a smooth edge can opener

a 29 oz. crushed tomato can you can close back up w/ some duct tape when filled w/ cast bullets

a 66 oz. tuna can can be used for so many things especially when you have a lid to fit back on it, I keep one in the car for the dogs water dish

same goes for a #10 can

another vote from me for the Blue Bunny ice cream containers

1 quart yogurt containers are good to go too

tall-boy pill bottles are great for drywall / deck screws in your pocket to go up ladders

Boolit Grand Master
    I can't believe you're all ignoring CIGAR BOXES!!! I accumulate a variety of shapes and sizes and use them in several ways, including storage of sorted brass, 310 Tool set storage, loading dies powder measures, etc,etc. I especially go for the wooden ones.

The only casting for which I qualify as truly OCD is for Schuetzen, in which I fire my bullets as-cast in the order cast. These bullets go into the plastic inserts from commercial pistol ammo boxes then into flat wooden cigar boxes that hold 4-6 of these inserts (200-300 bullets) nicely lined up and ready to set out on the bench to shoot.

Oh yeah, I also like coffee containers, from the big plastic ones for brass or shot shells down to the ones from International Coffees that are great for small batches of pistol bullets.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Grand Master
    I tend to hoard a lot of stuff

I use 5 gal pails with lids to store 2x+ fired shotgun hulls to be reloaded. They stack without need for shelves and only take up about 1 sq ft of space. Each holds over 500 12 ga empties. Most of my once fired hulls are stored in large plastic totes (18 gal)

Trap loads are also stored in bulk, in 5 gal pails. (normally have 6-12 stacked up.... 3000-6000 shells) I stack them 4 high and get over 2000 loaded shells in a 1 sq ft space without needing shelves. (note: the buckets are placed under the loaders and finished rounds drop directly into them) Boxed 12 ga are stored in diary crates - 24 boxes in each and the crates stack nicely. Three crates are enough for each State or Regional shoot.

Pistol/rifle reloads go into plastic boxes and/or military ammo boxes

Brass, for what I shoot a lot (9mm, .38, .40, .223, .308), is stored in 15 quart Sterilite conatiners. I like being able to see what I have. The rest of the brass goes into smaller plastic containers, or commercial plastic ammo boxes.

Cast bullets currently go into cardboard boxes but I am thinking of making wooden boxes that will stack without using shelf space.
    Last edited by dverna; 10-02-2016 at 09:30 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    Someone gave me a large box of smaller black boxes that cremains go into. They are rectangular in shape and pretty strong. Not as much wasted space as with round jars and buckets, but I still like large peanut butter jars as I can readily see inside.

Mike

Boolit Master
    I'm convinced Folgers sells more coffee to people that want the containers, than the coffee itself. I think that's the intention, because Folgers is tolerable, but just barely. Peanut butter cans, well that's usually good stuff!

Boolit Mold
    Before I retired, the medical lab girls saved the white Styrofoam trays that the vacu tainer blood tubes came in. 100 holes and square-ish for bullets

Anything that fits !

I work in an office "cubicle ranch" (much bigger than just a farm, it's as big as a WalMart in here), and there's lots of people always having BIG clear containers of pretzels, pub mix, animal crackers, etc., the big jugs of stuff from Costco. Those big clear plastic jugs are excellent for storing large quantities of cleaned & polished brass.

I have been using the plastic Swiffer Refill boxes for storing my brass. They are close to Shoebox size and have lids that snap on. the large size will hold 500 .45ACP cases.

I am also very big on Hillshire Farms lunch meat containers. We go thru lots of them and I have a bunch stacked up. Great for storing boolits. and I also use them for storing things like gun parts so everything stays together.

I have a problem understanding why anyone would buy plastic containers unless there was something really special about them. There are so many plastic containers laying around in everyone's house nowadays that it is mind boggling.

Now, I do buy plastic boxes to put loaded cartridges in, mainly because Hillshire Farms doesn't sell any "compartmented meats. "

Lots of options here, and all of them are free!

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master

+1 on the Hilshire Farms lunch meat containers, Very handy!
    God Bless, Whisler

Boolit Buddy
    All of the above, and recently started with the vape juice bottles, nice for oiling, or any liquid application by the drop.
    ]Why does anyone need an assault rifle? My first need is articulated in the US v Miller 1939 decision: every citizen eligible for volunteer or conscript military service, every member of the unorganized militia, should be familiar with his nation's military service rifle, and the service rifles of potential allies and foes as well, to support and defend the Constitution against all enemies foreign and domestic.

My wife and I tiled our kitchen and bathrooms, and we ended up with a stack of subflooring and coffee cans of screws. The sheets of plywood were irregular and a little sticky from the stick on tiles, so we couldn't even give it away. I ran it through the tablesaw and my wife assembled them into boxes. We use these boxes for all sorts of projects. right now Im sorting lead ingots by hardness into them and stacking then in the basement. Each box holds about 50 1 lb ingots.
    I'm a child of depression parents, my wife is always surprised how much of our ' trash' I repurpose.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast