Reloading EverythingWidenersSnyders JerkyLee Precision
Inline FabricationRepackboxRotoMetals2Load Data
Titan Reloading MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Reloading With Mixed Powders ?

Banned

Reloading With Mixed Powders ?

Has anyone tried loading with mixed powders? I have about a pound and a quarter of various powders that I've collected over the years, HS-6, IMR 4895, H-4895, Unique, WST, H-110, and wondered it it could be used for anything. I used to lube bullets, and if I pulled them and lube got on the powder, I would just toss it into an empty powder can, which is now a full powder can. The black hodgdon ones.

If one were to develop a load out of this stuff, how would you go about it?

Or, should I just keep it for SHTF...

Boolit Grand Master
    You are NOT going to develop a load. You are either going to pitch it, light it at dusk for enjoyment, or use the remnants for a few loads with that specific powder. Mixing it, loading, and firing is potential disaster waiting to happen.

I have mixed the last of one bottle of canister powder with the same canister powder in a new bottle and mixed it. An ounce or two ontop of a new pound of the SAME powder.

SHiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Mold
    Using that to reload anything sounds like the king of bad ideas...use it for fertilizer.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

If the powders havenr been mixed, either load a few loads of that powder to use it up or dump it/light it. Nothing good will come of mixing those powders

If they were all about the same burn rate, i.e. red dot/green dot/Am Select, that were mixed, then a person might use red dot data to be on safe side, but even then not a good idea.

I don't see how mixing rifle and pistol powdere would accomplish anything good.

Banned
    These are leftovers, all dumped into one can. I didnt think there was any reloading use for them, but it doesnt hurt to ask.

Boolit Master

You're right, it doesn't hurt to ask. I'm not one to throw anything out that can be used, so know where you're coming from.

Banned

I'd like to see the chrono numbers and the groups of you do try it

I dunno how far 4 grs of 4895 with a 1gr H-110 kicker will launch a boolit but I'd bet not too far, i'll lay down good money it'll launch some pretty good roses though.

Boolit Man
    Someone here was using something similar for bore bee loads or shot loads in a revolver which required only a grain or two under corn cob media or something similar. I'll try to find the thread.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Bee-Load/page2
    Last edited by Joe K; 01-14-2017 at 10:24 PM. Reason: found thread post #26

I have a small jar of mixed powders. Pulled down loads of unknown powder, blanks taken apart to reuse the brass, once in a while a desktop spill where I prefer not to introduce contaminants into good powder.

Roll up a paper tube and make some flashbangs if you must.
    Mix it into solvent to make some nitro shellac, indeed almost anything but try to shoot it.

Put it in brass under a bullet I never would.

Whatever you do with it be dang careful.

Boolit Master

'Bout a hundred miles from the Gulf of Mexico
    You know what to do............Dump it. Makes great fertilizer. (You are inviting disaster!!) Just my .02!!!
    I firmly believe that you should only get treated by how you act, not by who or what you are!!

Boolit Master

I'm about as cheap as they come, too, and hate to throw out anything that could be usable. I've come up with a little mental tool to help me decide when to throw something out.

If I saw a can of random mixed gunpowder at a gun show for $5 would I buy it? No, I absolutely would not, not worth it. So, should I spend time and energy trying to work up a load all the while worrying if it's safe, to save less than $5? Even if I could find a safe load it wouldn't be remotely worth it.

Using this line of reasoning I find myself throwing more stuff away nowadays.

On the other hand, if a couple ounces of 3031 or 4350 accidentally got dumped into an 8 lb can of 4895, I'd probably just mix it thoroughly and find a good safe load to use it up.

dig a small pond. i'll let you figure out how I mean... make sure you are in the middle of nowere...lol
    An armed man in a citizen.
    An unarmed man is a subject.
    A disarmed man is a slave.

Banned
    Lol, what Oklahoma Rebel said...

Banned

so no video?

Banned
    ROFL. Thers some things that might be better without eviden... video.

Boolit Master
    Iraqveteran8888 on YouTube has various, "tested till destruction' firearms videos I would check out first. No some might be irritated at the gun abuse but is does serve as a reminder to all shooters and reloaders. We are holding in our hands and near our faces, a controlled explosion, more or less. If it goes wrong, the price can be ultimate. In the mentioned videos the most devastating and ultimate demise of many guns was...... Range trash. Various unburned gunpowders that were swept up from in front of the firing line of an indoor range. Lots of different kinds of mixed powders that caused catastrophic destruction! Mixed powder is a bad, bad idea! Watch it burn in open air or add it to the garden but NEVER add it to a cartridge!
    ~ Chris

Casting, reloading, shooting, collecting, restoring, smithing, etc, I love it all but most importantly, God, Family, The United States Constitution and Freedom...

God Bless our Troops, Veterans and First Responders!

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas
    Accuracy, Power & Speed

Boolit Master

You don't want to take a change of blowing up an expensive gun just for the cost of a can of powder. OR the cost of the hospital stay...if you're lucky!!!
    May all your bullets find the Bullseye.

Quote Originally Posted by Mytmousemalibu View Post
    Iraqveteran8888 on YouTube has various, "tested till destruction' firearms videos I would check out first. No some might be irritated at the gun abuse but is does serve as a reminder to all shooters and reloaders. We are holding in our hands and near our faces, a controlled explosion, more or less. If it goes wrong, the price can be ultimate. In the mentioned videos the most devastating and ultimate demise of many guns was...... Range trash. Various unburned gunpowders that were swept up from in front of the firing line of an indoor range. Lots of different kinds of mixed powders that caused catastrophic destruction! Mixed powder is a bad, bad idea! Watch it burn in open air or add it to the garden but NEVER add it to a cartridge!
    LOL remember when he c-clamped the hipoint shut with a 3/8" lagbolt in the barrel?
    It's only hubris if I'm wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackoutBuilder View Post
    Has anyone tried loading with mixed powders? I have about a pound and a quarter of various powders that I've collected over the years, HS-6, IMR 4895, H-4895, Unique, WST, H-110, and wondered it it could be used for anything.
    I have one of the old Winchester round metal ball powder tins on my loading bench and when I pull down junk ammo to salvage the bullets and cases for reuse I dump the wide variety of powder charges into that "mixed powder" can. It is highly entertaining to drop into our backyard fire pit at night about 1 tablespoon at a time ... and I wouldn't use it for anything else except possibly as fertilizer. (I am just FAR too attached to both of my eyes and all 10 of my digits to load it in any of my firearms!)

I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't reached my "Expiry" date!

Boolit Master
    Homemade fireworks
    Do, or do not.
    There is no try.
    Yoda

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast