Inline FabricationLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Load DataWidenersRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: does anyone make a 358429 hollow point bullet mold

Boolit Man

Smile does anyone make a 358429 hollow point bullet mold

Hi Guys , does anyone make a 358429 hollow point bullet mold that casts two or more hollow point bullets , I have been looking for a original Ideal / Lyman , problem cost and casts only one bullet at a time , please post , many thanks, rojo

Boolit Master
    I have one that I snagged on ebay. It's a single cavity.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150614_134910.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	61.2 KB 
ID:	177501Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150614_134543.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	81.0 KB 
ID:	177502Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150914_023622.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	75.0 KB 
ID:	177503

I'm A Honcho!
    Miha just ran that design in brass.
    Just send him a pm and see if he has any over runs.

Boolit Grand Master

NOE has aluminum , 4 cavity , plain base ( and gas check moulds also ), hollow point IN STOCK!
    They only show 2 PB moulds in stock right now , so if you want one.....go get it !
    Gary

Boolit Master
    The 358429 with a hollow point was cataloged by Ideal as the 358439. It also carried that number when made by Lyman. I have an old one that casts well. Several makers have multiple cavity versions.

Kevin
    Knowledge I take to my grave is wasted.

I prefer to use cartridges born before I was.

Success doesn't make me happy, being happy is what allows me to be successful.

Boolit Grand Master

I have a NOE RG4 mold (hp mold) and it casts beautifully. I see no need to look for an old tired mold on evil bay when I can find one for cheaper, more cavities and in stock at NOE or get one made by Accurate Molds.

Boolit Master

I have the 358439 Ideal mould that StrawHat posted about. I've only used it a couple times and it casts very well. I was surprised how fast the boolits piled up from a single cavity mould.
    Chuck

I like the NOE RG system far better than the Lyman pin.
    In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.
    In the land of the disarmed, the one armed man is king.

Boolit Grand Master
    Either the MP or NOE versions are so far superior to the Lyman "onsies" that there is no comparison. I have tried the Lyman versions in the past, and I am underwhelmed. Either the Cramer or NOE is at least 4 times quicker faster

The MP cramer-style are slightly better, (they don't have the brackets hanging off the bottom to hang up on the mold guides on a bottom feed pot), but I have both and they allow you to produce boolits at about 5/6ths the speed of the same mold sans HP. I have an MP H&G 68 clone 4 cavity brass in both plain and HP versions. I get about 12 boolits per minute with the plain and about 10 per minute with the hp. Once up to temperature, they rain good boolits, which was not my experience with the Lyman.

Given that the cost of an NOE RG-4 is only 133 dollars, while I have seen Lyman single cavity molds go for upwards of 150.00 on E-bay I don't think there is any reason for a caster (as opposed to a collector) to buy the Lyman.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master
    The Lyman is slow. I also prefer the pins in the MP mold over the NOE due to the brackets.

Boolit Master
    Not a fan of the 358429 I found it was picky about the guns it would work in!

Originally designed to allow 357 loads to be put up in 38 special case's it is to long in 357 case's for many revolvers, but if you have a pistol it will work in than copies are out there or you can buy a Lyman 4 banger and send it to Eric at Hollowpoint mold.com he can make a 4 banger HP mold out of it for you.

I had him do this on a 45 ACP Lyman RNL mold and it rains HP's!

Boolit Buddy
    Buy one and send it to Eric Ohlen he does good work .

Boolit Master
    While I like old molds -I still have an old Saeco 411230 K 4 hole and my bought in Memphis Lyman 410459- I have to say that likely the new molds are the way to go for me --I have a Mihec mold I can get three different hp boolits and a solid -- the older mold can not do that unless you have it work on -- at that time the price well be similar

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by StrawHat View Post
    The 358429 with a hollow point was cataloged by Ideal as the 358439. It also carried that number when made by Lyman. I have an old one that casts well. Several makers have multiple cavity versions.

Kevin
    These were two separate molds that varied in pin width and depth. The original Elmer was the 439, the redesign was labelled 429 HP.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

The problem with the NOE versions of the 358429 is that they are not clones, they have different nose lenghts. For those of us with .375 throat depths, the real 358429 is the way to go. Plus, aluminum and brass are much softer than steel and aluminum can be difficult to keep hot enough. I personally prefer iron, and certainly for hollow points. Mr. Ohlen can convert a 358429 for you and put different points in the mold. One like the 439 and one with the 429 HP.

Boolit Master
    I used to cast and load the 358429 for some town police forces. I used a ideal single cavity mold. still have it ran out a coffee can full the other evening. I got that mold in 71 still have it and it still casts perfect bullets.

there is a blemished Lyman on clearance at midway right now.

Boolit Master
    Eric can convert two cavities to HP and his conversion operates far better than NOE or any other I have tried. But for a price point the NOE HP option would be less expensive. However, I personally would choose a different bullet design.

If all you have is an old Lyman or Ideal pin-style single cavity mould there's nothing wrong with that...in fact, before NOE or MP came out with the multiple gang moulds for HP's I was pretty tickled to be able to make my own 'cast' HP's without a drill point.
    Besides...it ain't how many you make an hour, it is the blend of Pb & Sn & the speed they go that makes for successful HP's that obturate & don't frag and hang onto their weight making big mushrooms. Don't cast them right then you have a bunch-O-fancy lookin plinkers.
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast