Load DataSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2RepackboxInline Fabrication
Reloading Everything Wideners

Thread: .32 H&R Mag in Marlin Cowboy

Boolit Buddy

.32 H&R Mag in Marlin Cowboy

Has anyone tried to shoot the Lee 90 grain tumble lube SWC bullet in this gun. This is what I am working on and I'm having a hard time getting it to shoot any decent groups at all. So far I've tried these variations: air cooled versus water cooled, 2.5 to 4.0 grs Bullseye and 3.0 to 3.5 gr W231. No bullets have been sized, all are as they drop from mold around .3145. Barrel slugs at .312. Tried Lee factory crimp and standard Lee crimp dies. Best group at fifty yards with scope and Led Sled rest is about 4 - 5 inches. Any hekp would be appreciated, thank you.
    Lost in Penn's Woods.

Boolit Grand Master

You may have better results in a rifle with a gas check bullet.

However, I have received decent results in my TC Carbine in .32 Mag (custom SSK barrel) with 10.0 grs of H110 under a 100 gr Group Buy Keith (plain base).

You should definitely try slower powders OR less of the fast burning powders. Having said that, 3.0 grs of W231 should work well (4-5 inches is not good...).

I don't have any gas check moulds in this caliber (never needed them) but frankly, I have not yet worked with my TC very much, so can not speak from a broad base regarding rifles.

I am getting 3/4" at fifty yards with the best loads (and some a good bit larger).

Keep us posted about your progress.

Dale53

Boolit Buddy
    Dale - Went to the range again today. Things got worse. Shooting at paper pie plates with a 2" bull printed in their centers. Groups ranged from very bad to extremely bad. 6" was the best. Had one plate I fired eight rounds at and could only find three holes. God only knows where these things are going. I've tried just about everything but am now going to buy a box of factory ammo and see what happens. If the factory ammo shoots just as bad the rifle is going back to Marlin.
    Lost in Penn's Woods.

Boolit Buddy
    I'm shooting a Lyman 311419 86 gr. FNGC sized .313 with 6.3 grs. No. 7. I'm getting 2" groups at 100m

Boolit Grand Master

My Marlin 25/20 (late issue that I bought new) wouldn't shoot cast for beans until I had 500 rounds through it. Suddenly, it started shooting well (10x10 on the NRA 50 yard smallbore target at fifty yards) and does to this day. My barrel has a noticeable flaw in it but I have NO intention of sending it anywhere because it shoots so well.

Maybe your .32 will get better as you shoot it some more. I certainly hope so as 6" does not thrill.

Good luck!
    Dale53

Boolit Grand Master

I thnk you might want to lap that bore as my Marlin shooots everything I put in it very well. Plain base cast slugs (leftover 3 D's) shoot into an inch at 50 yards and under 3 at 100.

Scrub it out and send 100 J-words down there. Srcub again and then try boolits once more.

Boolit Master
    Try slugging the bore to see if there are any tight spots or whether the bore gets looser at the muzzle. I've had that experience on a few pistol caliber carbines and almost invariably they went from tight at the breech to loose at the muzzle. Fortunately, fixing this is within the range of pressure lapping as the difference is actually very small, but makes a big difference with cast boolits in particular. A Rossi in .357 went from pie-plate groups and bigger with any ammo at 50yards to 1.5" cast groups with some judicious pressure lapping.

You didn't mention whether you are getting leading at all, but I add a card wad and lube cookie before seating the boolit to provide for that trip down a longer barrel. It's an added step, but for accurate shooting, it's good to get that lube star on the muzzle which shows there' enough of it.