Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2WidenersTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Reloading Everything Load Data

Thread: New screw by buckshot

Boolit Master

New screw by buckshot

A while back I asked Buckshot to make me a screw for a Stanley wood plane I had bought in a yard sale. It would seem to be something that would be easy to, buy but it isn't. It is a 12x20 screw and they just don't seem to grow on trees, at least not in my neck of the woods. I have hundreds of 12x24 but not this baby. Well I finally got him off the couch and away from the TV yesterday long enough to make the screw and he did a great job. I am attaching pictures of the screw alongside an original. It is used to hold the front of the plane's wooden handle. I tell you that boy could be a fine machinist if we could just kill his stupid boob tube. A waste of a great talent.
    Last edited by GOPHER SLAYER; 09-29-2016 at 02:33 PM.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

It's almost like at some point in time they changed all the screw pitch threads just to mess with us guys that like to keep the old things going - I've had to retap more than one hole for a "modern" thread pitch.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Master

with my skill level re-tapping is about the only way I can get old tools back in operation. At least I can find replacement screws and nuts easier then
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Vendor Sponsor

What number plane is that if I can ask?

I have a few from my dad and a Stanley I got new 40 years ago. I am not skilled with them like I would like to be. Before I die I hope to gain some ability. ...Just because Like shooting PP bullets ....just because.
    Chill Wills

Boolit Master
    By some weird set of circumstances I have recently picked up three of these Stanley planes at yard sales. They are marked number 5 with the name Bailey on the front. Two were 2.50 each. The one pictured I bought for dollar. By the way, Buckshot rarely watches TV or even lays on the couch. Most of his waking hours are spent in his shop and the quality of his work reflects it.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Boolit Master
    Have an old wood bodied plane from my dad. Disassembled it and the blade was in dire need of sharpening. Needed a lot of work with various stones to clean up all the nicks. Read about sharpening the blades from the "Fine Woodworking" magazine and did put a micro bevel on the blade after sharpening. Will make shavings so fine you can almost see through them. I did this also with one of the Stanley block planes and used it to fill in the target hand stop hole with some walnut I had. The "Fine Woodworking" had or has for sale a bunch of magazines devoted to things like plane sharpening, stains, finishes and things like that. Well worth the money. Frank

South of the Equator and North of Capricorn
    Stanley had thier own proprietry threads which were basically non standard .There is a kit made by Stanley which has the screws and rods for the handle and front knob , and a new blade adjusting screw and nut and a few other bits and pieces.
    I'll see if I can find the box with the Stanley part number.
    Ebay used to be a good source for second hand screws , blades cap irons and lots of other bits .
    I have all the Stanley bench planes from no 3 right up to no 8 except for the 5 1/4 , some made in USA , Canada England and Australia.
    I also have a lot of other Stanley hand tools which I use. My wife says I'm a tool *****.

Google scary sharp to find out how to get a plane blade sharp.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Artful View Post
    It's almost like at some point in time they changed all the screw pitch threads just to mess with us guys that like to keep the old things going - I've had to retap more than one hole for a "modern" thread pitch.
    I love the quality of the older hand tools compared to the modern nylon and pot metal stuff that is found in most big-box stores and I've had to do the same thing when I rebuild tools.
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

Boolit Master
    I love old Stanley planes, and use them almost daily in my job. I went through a period of obsessive collecting, and have an example of nearly every plane Stanley made. I look at them as much of a "retirement fund" as a set of working tools. My favorites: the #1 and #2, which I use in lieu of block planes by and large. (Don't ask how much did I pay for them ) "Never use a one-handed plane when you could also use a two-handed one." The #3, #4, #5 Bailey's are a close second. Even the #7 and #8 jointer planes get a workout- sometimes it's easier to just grab one of them to true an edge than to fire up the jointer (and a lot less risk of amputating a couple fingertips).

Boolit Master
    At the yard sale where I bought the last #5 for a dollar I also bought a #11 for 50 cents.

You want to know about Stanley Planes ok. http://www.supertool.com/StanleyBG/stan0a.html

The ones I use are mainly what one would call the working mans planes. A 3,5 and 607. They are pretty recent lol. Made in the 30's with round tops. And by the way if you wish to replace your blades it would be money well spent for some blades by HOCK.

I also really like the Stanley 80 scraper. I also have a 12 but I prefer the 80.

Oooooooops forgot about the Stanley 151 and 153 spoke shaves .

And lets not forget Draw Knives. No not by Stanley lol.
    Last edited by JesterGrin_1; 10-01-2016 at 07:31 AM.
    If one sits in thundering quiet the soul dies slow instead of yell to the heavens for all to hear and behold the righteous and upstanding and ones of which should be held with tales of woe. By C.A.S. <--- Thats Me lol.